The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Sliding Door for C-Dory Cabin??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may sound corny, but couldn't a guy make a "roll-up" type door for the C-Dory? You could remove the regular door in an easily reverisble fashion for the fishing trip, then have tracks for a removable roll type door.... or canvas? ...or use those flexible vertical plastic strips like they use in warehouses for fork lifts? Well, just daydreaming.
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda like the removeable door idea... but no idea about the frame work of our current....or not so current door set ups.
k3nlind

City/Region: Layton
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Topkick
Photos: Topkick
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think about these hinges?... I would probably put on about four instead of the standard three...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/244394/10001/581/147/24

E.C.H.O.

bcnu,

ken
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

k3nlind wrote:
What do you think about these hinges?... I would probably put on about four instead of the standard three...

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/244394/10001/581/147/24

Uses #10 fasteners. I believe #10 is light for a C-Dory door. I would use through bolts and if you use the four hinges as planed it should work. Anyone know what size fasteners C-Dory uses on their doors now?

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:07 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to gain that space is to replace the door with a bi-fold door. Take a look at the door Joe installed on R-Matey when he did his custom bulkhead on an angler. While his is not a bi-fold is does split down the middle - it takes up a lot less space in the cockpit when open. I've thought about a similar idea but simply making the door a bi-fold for the same reason of want clear access to that bulkhead space. I'll probably never get around to it but I think it's a reasonable idea.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a pretty cool thread! It challenges your thinking skills, and creativity!

As long as we're considering alll the possibilities, practical and impractical, I'll add the following (since things are slow this morning):

The Apreture or Iris Door- this is like the iris or aperature in a camera that is made of 6 or more curved panels that rotate around the door's perimeter to open and close a circular opening. Could also be known as the Buck Roger's Door, as it is seen mostly in Space Sci-Fi films. 12 volt version would draw a lot of amperage. Best to enter and leave cabin while on Shore Power.

The Glass Revolving Door- very practical for skyscrapers and cost unlimited style architecture, like Congressional Office Building, CIA Headquarters, Enron World Centere, and West-Marine Office Building in Watsonville, Ca. Features unique energy saving design to limit exchange of air inside with that outside, saving on HVAC costs. While it would take up most of entire cockpit and cabin on a D-Dory, you'd have the only one in existence, and be the center of conversatiopn at the next CBGT. Also useful in keeping small rat-like dogs busy going around in circles so they don't bug you at the helm. Good project for Mechanical Engineering Nerd on long, cold, PNW winter nights. Patent potential for suitable marine design.

The Sphincter Door- Round flexible rubberized cloth opening featuring elastic drawstring in middle which can be either opened by loosening the drawstring, or simply dived headfirst through in an emergency. Low cost, simple to engineer, easy to assemble. An everyman's DIY Project! Color optional. Cloth selection can be matched to boat's color scheme, but our staff prefers alternate red and whilte circular bands to simulate Bull'seye Target for emergency use and to conform with USCG Regulation 6398a.1.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I see...... so you could tighten your aft spincter if the conditions get rough? John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: