View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Chesapeake November--fuel tank question Reply with quote

Greetings, Upper Left Coasters--It's November on the Chesapeake: 81 degrees, balmy winds, boats out the kazoo on the move. More and more C-Dories around here as the days go on. We were out on Lady Snowdon this afternoon, and crossed wakes in the South River with a CD 25 by the name of "River Runner" or sumpn like that--
Quick question--has anyone tried to get the last few gallons of the pre 2003 CD22 36 gallon tanks useable by placing spacers or a level floor underneath the tanks so they don't follow the vee of the bottom of the boat? A friend suggested this, and it seems too obvious not to have been tried. Also, any grooming tips on how to get the water and assumed other sludge out of the tanks for a good end of season cleaning, whether or not I do try to level the tanks? Thanks for the continuing improvements on this site. You guys are great. I'm lifting a crab to your continuing good health. Bruce Holly
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bruce -

I know what you mean about the unusable gas in each tank. You have to expect it to be nothing but water and crud after a while. I was always concerned that the water and crud might slosh over to the pickup tube and plug it all at once. If the water is sucked out of the tank as it gets to the bottom, a good filter will separate it. But if there is three gallons in there that decides to come out, the filter will be plugged before you realize it.

Anyhow, on our old 22 I replaced the tanks with the 48 gallon upgrade because I wanted the capacity. Had I kept the original tanks, I was going to build a platform to raise them a quarter inch or so off the floor and level them. (Of course, toward the center there would be more clearance beneath.) That would have let me hose the fish slime and rotten stuff out from under them, and easily lift the tanks from the platform for cleaning beneath without pulling the screws in the floor each time. My plan was to use some plastic (like Lexan) for the shelf under the tanks.

I think if you were to raise the inside edge of the tanks, you would want to use something to support the entire underside - not just one end. Those tanks bulge and conform to the space available, and if just propped up you would soon have the same problem, just moved over a few inches. Or, worse yet, a rupture.

So, if you are going to do that, then do the works, even if it means moving them slightly forward to make room for the lift. If you've never taken the tanks out before, be prepared to hold your breath when you do. No matter how clean you keep your boat, you can't wash under them and the leaves, grunge, and whatever else gets in there will be rotten and smelly. Then you'll see why raising them up might be a good idea.

Mike
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, even though this is a new site, I see my old problem of talking too much is still with me!

What I meant to say, Bruce, is go for it!
Bearh

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Snowdon
Photos: Snowdon
PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Tyboo--Ooh nooo, you started me on a rant. Reply with quote

Tyboo, thanks for the reply. I'm putting off springing $500 for new tanks, but 48 gallons sounds awful good to me. I finally worked up enough nerve to empty one tank so it reads flat empty on the guage--but I can see it still seems almost 1/5 full. What giffs? No coughing or spitting from the engine. I haven't checked the separator yet. Fuel problems are my major fantasy, and as a recently converted ragboater, I don't yet trust my motor as much as I guess I could--but at the same time, every time I've checked my Racor 110A, there's been around a teaspoon of water in the fuel. I've poured in some Stabil or such-like water eradicator, and I guess that's helped keep it burning through, but man, why do marine fuel dispensers and boat trailers seem to have a level of unreliability that no other modern-day transportation item would tolerate? Don't mind me--I just get tired of having to worry so much, and tired of having to fix one thing after the other on the furshlugger trailer every time I turn around. I know, I know--marine environment, etc., etc., but hey--Ford and Chevy have to deal with idiotproofing their stuff, and for the most part, they pull it off. Why not boatbuilders/trailer manufacturers/fuel merchants around the water?--Oh, yah, silly me--of course: money.
In the end, though--ain't nothin' better than an hour on the water, in almost any situation. Never mind, disregard above--obviously mindless ramblings of a rumpled curmudgeon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: