The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Mysterious Black Spots
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rcwass I too get the black spots, mostly on and around the lazarette hatches. Since my boat is moored below the end of the San Diego airport runway, I hope it isn't another version of oldgrowth's "spider poop." I thought it was JP5 soot but now Dave's got me wondering....

Don
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

Keeping a boat near an airport will give your boat 'grey spots'!

I have had this problem in Newport Beach, CA and Camarillo, CA, both under airport flight patterns.

I think it is unburned jet fuel. The spots start off small and grow and turn grey or black. I think its fuel residue that then catches dirt or soot(smog?).

Spider poop is a good possibility also. I have a shipping container on a farm that gets small dark brown spots, They are flat and in clusters. There are lots of spiders there.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Black Spots Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input. I'm still troubled by these blac spots. The spots are all on one side, from the roof to the waterline. On the aluminum window frames, Stainless Steel railings, Galvanized trailer and the fiberglass. The spots are continueing because they're on my new registration numbers and State Decal. I've tried accetone, paint thinner, mild rubbing compound, bottom cleaner, fiberglass cleaners, three different brands of goop off or goo off, and bleach. I scrape the hard bubble shells off then apply the cleaners to the stains as on the directions. Scrub, scrub and scrub more with no luck. I've taken pictures to Marine Shops with no help. The cleaner that works the best is a small can of Goop Off but even that leaves some stain. I can clean the spots off the metals with accetone but the metals aren't porous. I.m completely stumped.

I appreciate your help.
Dick
lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collect some in a sterile container and take them to a lab. That would answer the question of what they are and how to deal with them. You have us all wondering now.
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lorraine J:

Without a doubt you being plagued with spider or other insect such as love bug droppings. This is a common problem if you live or keep your boat on the water. First get rid of the spiders by spraying an insecticide, if possible. Do a web-search "Cleaning spider droppings" and you will find several recommended products and techniques for cleaning your boat. Keep your boat waxed and if necessary lightly cover it with a disposable drop cloth. I am confident that your black spots will disappear. I have found that spraying the fiberglass or aluminum with a spray protectant such as 303 after the spots are removed helps. It does make you boat slippery, however.

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical

rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:24 pm    Post subject: Mysterious Black Spots Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your help. I think I've found the cause. Check out this link:

http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactSheets/artfungus/artilleryfungus.htm

I have a two acre wooded lot and when they removed the trees they hauled off the logs and shredded the branches into a large pile in the woods next to where my boat has been stored. Unfortunately, this link says these spots are not removable so what's next, fine sandpaper or repaint? $$$$$
Ouch! I'm still trying to convince my Wife we need a new motor. These spots just dissolved my new motor.

Again, thanks to all. I couldn't get the link to be highlighted so it was easy to click on.

Dick
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man...that is some nasty stuff!

I found this link - it contains the following, so perhaps help is on the horizon.

"There are currently several chemists working on products to easily and safely remove these spores from siding and vehicles. I believe that the most significant advancements have been made are through Chempure Products Corp. in Bolivar, OH. For the last two years, they have witnessed promising results in the testing and development of such products."

So...since the stuff doesn't seem to harm anything other than appearance, you might play the "wait and see" game rather than resorting to more extreme measures...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: