The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there... (OT)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Happy Father's Day to all you Dads out there... (OT) Reply with quote

Recalling what I've accomplished over the years, my favorite has been being a Dad. This will be the first Father's Day (in 33 years) that I won't be able to spend with my little girl. No sadness, though, 'cause we'll get to spend time with our daughter and son-in-law next month (and they'll be the ones on a schedule ). My daughter doesn't remember it, but I have been saving a "gift certificate good for a car wash" that she gave me many years ago... there's no expiration date on it (or statute of limitations).

I just saw on the Sunday Morning Show that the #1 gift for Dads is still a necktie. Yesterday I tossed out almost all of those (kept 2 classics)... and then realized I also gave away all my dress shirts but one.

Except for last year (when we were visiting our little girl in Arizona), I have also gotten to sail on Father's Day. ("It's your day, you get to choose what we do." Tough call, huh?)

For you Dad's out there, I hope you get to spend some time with your kid(s). For you kids out there, adore your Dad today. I'll spend some time on the phone with my baby (not as good as being there, but not bad), basking in the adoration... maybe pack and stack a few more boxes... and try to sneak in a motorcycle ride

Best wishes,
Jim B.

PS - It's the end of an era; we are 12 days away from retirement. I took two pick-up loads of dressy clothes to the Salvation Army yesterday, including: 20 suits or sportcoats, an armload of ties, twice that amount of women's suits, a bevy of winter coats, hats, and gloves. There were 5 large closets to go through, and I am taking a short break in the middle of clearing the last one. The Blonde and I both kept a couple dressy outfits in case there's a marryin' or a buryin'. An entire dumpster today of tossed togs (why did I feel the need to keep every t-shirt from the "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt" days?).

The furniture is gone; we have two camp chairs and a mattress on the floor. We did it without a garage sale... gave family first shot at anything they wanted, sold a bunch of stuff to a used furniture guy, gave away even more, and tossed even more. It's been a lot of work, but we are very close to ready. Yesterday morning we had a friend ask us, "Aren't you sad to see all this stuff go?" Not even a little. It's actually been a sense of relief as we've emptied the house room by room.

It's beautiful out today: sunny, breezy, temp in the low 80s... it would be a great day for a sail. For the first time in a long while, I am glad to be (almost finished) doing this, instead of wishing I were out on the water. That time is coming... soon.

Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing Jim. Good thoughts and I can relate. Both my son (17) and daughter (23) still live at home and I enjoy every minute with them. My daughter is well on her way to flying free, 6 months away from graduating from college, solid boyfriend (or really closer to a fiance), forward looking bright future.

Son is, well, just enjoying the heck out of life, possibly too much given his last report card! School's out now, ended 2 days ago. I took my son and his friend to a local 8,300 ft mountain for some star-gazing now that the moon is nearly out of the way. The official "star-party" is next weekend up there with 100's of telescopes, this weekend was only about 25-50. Still, great stuff. We camped out over night, just got back late afternoon Sunday.

THAT's how I spent my Father's Day. Daughter had to work most all day. One of those "great to be alive" days for many of us.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: