City/Region: Salem
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rock-C
Photos: Rock-C
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOW YOU TELL ME.
I've been reading this thread with interest, as I just bought a Dodge Cummins Diesel. I picked it up just a few days befor Mike's post to "Avoid Dodge" Had I only knew what trouble I was getting into. Oh well, it's an older truck (97), without all that fancy gadgitry.
It sure beats Ol' Rusty, me 83 Chevy pick-up that got 7 mpg towing the boat.

lloyds

City/Region: sublimity
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: undecided
Photos: 1996 22 Cruiser (Lloyds)
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 02 dodge with the cummins has been great, not a toyota but still great. What's your preference for misery, an 06 Z71 4X4 that spent its first two months in the shop while my friend drove something the shop provided that looked like kin to a geo, or fords that spit spark plugs out of the block. None of these rigs are perfect. If I had wanted perfection I would have bought a toyota, but still woudn't have been surprised if it didn't deliver. But all the new american diesel rigs are pretty good, just name your poison.
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
or fords that spit spark plugs out of the block

If my Ford diesel were spitting spark plugs out of the block, I would definately be worried. Twisted Evil
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's happening. The motor pool I used to manage leases from GE Fleet Leasing and they worked out a deal to get rid of the late model fords because they were losing spark plugs. The went to Chev.
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarification: It isn't the Ford diesel spitting spark plugs, but the gas engines. The point is that all the manufacturers have their problems. Just too bad Chrysler took the wrong turn on devising a fix for a very small problem. Kind of like when we design highway improvements with safety money. You read the accident reports and guess who you are designing the improvements for, one or two knotheads that would have been injured even as byciclists. Imagine two motorists, sitting at opposed stopsigns, waiting to turn the same direction onto a highway. Yep, they both turn, and collide in the median. So we spend a million dollars for shoulder improvements and a new signal. Not unlike the character that got out of his truck and didn't firmly plant it in park and set the brake.
Salty Dog

City/Region: Traverse City
State or Province: MI
Photos: Salty Dog
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lloyds,
I figured you meant the gasoline engines, but thought I'd have a little fun with that one. Very Happy
lloyds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, but I am new to diesels, and especially to full size trucks and never differentiated by accident. Really like a full size truck, after driving the half trucks for the last 20 some years. I went up those hills in seattle this weekend like they were the flatlands, with a 3000 pound camper on the back. Emptied some drawers and cupboards but what the heck. Hit the dog on the head with the cutting board, but she didn't mind. She was just relieved to be able to get back to the front of the camper again after sliding down against the entry.
drjohn71a

City/Region: Wichita
State or Province: KS
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tom-a-Hawk
Photos: Tom-a-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the big three diesels are all pretty darned good. I have a Cummins in my motorhome, but bought the Ford due to some accessories, the new shorter turning radius (new last year), and a financial incentive back in the end of 2004. I could not find a Chevy diesel without the 410 rear end, so those models had higher towing, but lower mileage per gallon. Anyway, having been a Chevy guy for most of my life, I am happy with the Ford. Those Ford ppl in the family say I have finally found the light.... and the Chevy, Chrysler ppl say I have lost my senses.... Lots of BS around here on cars and trucks! John
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish someone would make a heavy duty mid-size pickup (about the size of the Nissan Frontier) with a diesel engine. I do not want to drive a tank around town, I want 24 mpg or better and want a towing capacity of at least 6000 lbs. 90% of my driving is without a trailer hooked to it, so a big hit in mpg when pulling the boat is OK. Where is my truck?

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If much of one's driving is w/o the trailer on and if the truck is being used primarily for human transportation during that time and if one doesn't tow too many total miles in a year, I think the solution is a full size used pickup and a car that's gets decent gas mileage. For quite awhile, we were towing with an Isuzu Trooper that in practice was being used 95% of the time for single person transportation. Admittedly, we bought the Trooper prior to the boat and at a time in our life when we where carting scouts and gear around and when my wife was not working full time. But not too long after getting the boat, things changed.

Hence, last year I picked up a used F250 with a 351, a low rear end and reasonably low miles (116k). I paid $2500 and put about 1500 in for a new rear seal and some other initial maintenance. The truck is now used only for boat towing and misc chores the require a truck (lumber hauling, etc). This year we got rid of the Trooper and bought a deisel Jetta - 37 MPG city and damn near 50MPG highway (real life numbers). Even with modest driving of about 12,000 miles per year to work and back, the Jetta save us about 530 gals of gas = about $1600/year in fuel. Now that doesn't in any way make up for the additional expense of the new vehicle but I do feel better about not wasting fuel (and the Jetta is really nice to be in).

lloyds

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave: Nissan and Mitsubishi I believe make just what you are looking for, but you have to buy them out of country for some reason. Probably EPA rules. Check the ads up in canada. You might find one up there. I think toyota makes them also. I know VW does.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: