The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

General Pilot House Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HarryW

City/Region: Estell Manor
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: General Pilot House Questions Reply with quote

Hi All, Let me introduce ourselves. We are long time boaters, mostly in the South Jersey/Delaware Bay area. We currently own a 27' sunbridge style boat and are looking for our "retirement" boat. We have been looking at C-Dorys for some time now. Some of the things we like are the layout, particularly the CD-25 (Steph doesn't want to give up the enclosed head), the all weather capability, and NO CANVAS to assemble at the end of the day. The ability to lock the door and walk away at the end of the day is very appealing.

The enclosed cabin come at a price, however, in that you are always enclosed, good weather and bad. Do any of you miss the open feeling of cruising across the bay on a nice day? Does opening up the windows give you enough ventilation in hot weather? I know all boats are a compromise of some sort. I am willing to give up speed for better gas milage, etc. How is the visibility from the helm? We are constantly dodging crab pots and other debris on the Maurice River.

The C-dory fits our needs in almost every way, just those few nagging questions. Thanks for your time,

We finally saw a C-Dory in person at the Atlantic City Boat show last February, and hope to get down to Cutter in the next few weeks to test drive a CD-25.

Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do need to get on this boat for sure...particuarly on a bad weather day. For sure that is when the total pilot house starts paying you back. If the water is not frozen, with that wallas heater...you can for sure REALY extend your boating season(s). Be sure to get the opening front window for air flow during the hot days. I had a C-Dory TomCat and spent many, many hours on the front deck with the wired remote for the auto pilot routed up thru the hatch. Now, I could not change speeds...so it was for sure with only one motor running and cruising at about 6 knots. Very nice for sunrises, sunsets, or star gazing at night under the moon. There are wireless auto pilots out today for up to 25hp that you can run paterns, or, just drive where you want.....if you get to missing the outside effect. A large (150hp) main motor with a "15ish" kicker with this remote set up would for sure give you the best of both worlds....if you are content with just "trawler speeds" when outside. You are target on about the pilot house too as being able to just lock the door...and leave. The same is true for arrival times to. Just open the door, crank the motor, toss the dock lines...and away you go. Great cruising boats for sure. Some of our more active CD 25 members are at this time cruising in Alaska....at least two of them that I know of...but for sure ...other CD25 owners will jump in too. Look forward to having you with us as a C-Dory owner.

Byrdman in Bama
MOOSE

City/Region: Rainy Lake - Int'l. Falls
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MOOSE
Photos: MOOSE
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We too worried about missing the openess and speed of our previous boats when we bought the MOOSE. And get this, we even (briefly) considered keeping two boats for a while to accomodate this uneasiness. But having made the move, we wouldn't go back to an open boat for anything, and one of the best days of my life remains the day we sold our Sea Ray. Byrdman is correct in saying it can extend your boating season. For us in N. MN it made the difference between a three month season and a six month season. And now when the open boat fishermen go whizzing by us, all battened down against the elements with parkas and rainsuits, and us in our shirtsleeves, we just look at each other and smile and say, "Open boat!" And also, we could not care less what the weather is when the mood strikes us to go cruising. Some of the most memorable times have been in less than perfect weather. Good luck with your decision.
Al

Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Harry,
As to your question about how the closed cabin performs on a hot day, well I can attest to the fact that with the center opening window and side windows...rear door open that down here in Naples, Fl. (Southwest Florida Swamps) that it is very comfortable when underway and with a 12 fan mounted on the overhead shelf, it is very comfortable when at anchor.

I think you will be very happy with your choice of a C-Dory of any size on those chilly mornings or Nor'westers.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
Bluecrab

City/Region: Chestertown, Maryland's Eastern Shore
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lizzie Ann
Photos: Lizzie Ann
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on adequate ventilation in our 22 - even on really hot , humid days running at very low speeds or at rest, it's comfortable. I don't miss the open helm a bit (and can do without all the sun anyway!). For us, the cabin extends the season in the cold and the shade is a real plus in the summer.

Don't know if the 25 is different, but we find the cockpit canvas a plus when leaving the boat in the slip. Keeps most rain out of the cockpit and hides the interior from sun and curious eyes.

Discovery

City/Region: LOA, UTAH
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Discovery
Photos: Discovery
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarryW,

If you want the ultimate in C-Dory pilothouses look at the TC255. All the features of the CD25, but on one level. Plus the berth is a full queen size. Larger windows, for improved view and increased ventilation.

Brent

Brent and Dixie,
1984 22' Classic sold 2003
2003 24' TomCat sold 2005
2006 TC255 Discovery Sold 2020
2006 CD 22' Angler Sold 2014
https://share.delorme.com/FBrentBetenson
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms." ~ Thomas Jefferson
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the very same concern about 1) Being enclosed and feeling claustrophobic, and 2) Too hot in the summer. Both concerns became a non-problem here in So Cal. I bought ours before actually seeing one, how about that for bold! All the factory had in early '02 were the old style 25 cruiser brochures with the enclosed head (no windows) and the tall cabinet on the other side, both closing off the view rearward. But they assured me that you can now see 360 deg around with the windows and lower cabinet. That solved my concern, and now with the actual boat it is wonderful. While underway I just open the rear door and side windows if hot outside. At rest there is usually enough breeze that the opening center window and open rear window provides good comfort, plus the ceiling provides SHADE! That's the part most people forget that the sun beating down on you can be quite hot, try driving a convertible car someday at mid-day.

I noticed you're from NJ, there be 'bugs' out there and other places around the U.S. We don't have many bugs down here in the Soutwest. All of the C-Dory openable windows have screens. You can add a velcro-attached screen for the front hatch and same thing for the rear door if needed. That would provide added comfort on buggy days/evenings.

Hope this helps. Good questions.

Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
HarryW

City/Region: Estell Manor
State or Province: NJ
PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the great responses. This really is great forum. I know most of our concerns will be answered when we go for a test ride. My wife really likes the TC255, but I prefer the CD25, so maybe we will test drive each one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: