View previous topic :: View next topic  
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: King Marine Canvas Reply with quote

After reading a bunch of posts as to what a good job King Marine in Seattle did with C-Dory canvas, I ordered side curtains from Dave last January. My credit card was charged January 12th but here I sit on Cape Cod, two months later and three weeks from launching my new boat with no curtains.

I called last Friday and was told the curtains hadn't been shipped, and no one knew when they would be shipped because Dave was away 'til Tuesday.

Now I didn't expect this item would be "on the shelf" but after waiting two months during the off season I'm a bit concerned.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has experience with King Marine Canvas.
Rabbits Hutch

City/Region: Seal Beach, CA
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: Rabbit's Hutch
Photos: Rabbit's Hutch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've worked with Dave on my last C-Dory 16' Cruiser and have placed an order through my local dealer again with his company.

I'll gladly share a few thoughts with you.

First, you can have total piece of mind in his integrity. Dont lose sleep over having been charged but your side curtains not having yet arrived. He is certainly a trustable fellow.

Secondly, that being said. Yes, he is slow in manufacturing the product. It's a small business and I'm sure he's swamped from the boat show.

Third, when your product does arrive, I'm sure you will be as thrilled with the product as I was with my last camper canvas. Thus my re-order with him now. Patience is the key with King Marine. Oh, if it's not too late, consider the screens for your panels with roll up windows. Dave makes a wonderful product for that...

There are certainly faster canvas makers out there, as there are more expensive ones as well. I think Dave will give you the most bang for your buck.

One suggestion I can make is ask the receptionist for his cell number. That's always the best way to reach him.

Cheers,

Gary R.

dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with King Marine is the same as Gary's. Talk only to Dave, not his father or his receptionist. Maybe it's a "nothwest thing". I'm tempted to say "wait until you have to deal with the Wallas stove guy". They are craftsman whose primary concern is the quality of their product.

"...we're all in the same boat..."
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Frogpawg

City/Region: Wallis Run; Montoursville, PA
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: Soapy Joe
Photos: Soapy Joe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: King Marine Canvas Reply with quote

I would rest easy, I have got window shades from him in the past and you will be very happy with the quality. I also currently have coming a camper back canvas that has already been paid for with no worries. His intergity is there no question about it.

Soapy Joe
22' cruiser
Bohemian

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Blue Skies & Sunshine
Photos: Blue Skies & Sunshine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a 2003 C-Dory 22' Cruiser from Anacortes and took it to the factory to have some additionals and modifications done. At the same time I wanted the full canvas job - camper back, screens, window covers, etc.

I got Dave's name and number and gave him a call, spoke to him over the phone in terms of what I wanted and gave him a credit card number. The cost was charged right away and the work would have been done within a few weeks but his timing turned out to be dictated by the shop work. He had the canvas all prepared but he didn't want to install it until after C-Dory completed the work in order to prevent damage. All in all it took 2 months to have all the factory work complete but that was mostly because we had a few departments working on the boat plus they had the boat shows.

One note is that even though it seems to be off season - it actually isn't for the factory or Dave (as he does all of their fabric work for the boats) as they have the boat shows that started in mid January through March.

I agree with the other posts - just speak to Dave - his cell phone is 1-206-271-2294. Whenever I called and left a message at reception he wouldn't call back but if I left a message on his cell he called back as soon as he could - which was usually within an few minutes to less than an hour.

If it's taking so long it must be an oversight - as Dave's shop seems to turn out the work pretty fast.

I would say that King Canvas did a fabulous job for us. The workmanship and Dave's service was excellent.

Hope this helps, good luck.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

King told me that they don't do the canvas for C-Dory anymore, though we were referred to King by C-Dory. Does anybody know who the new supplier is? Any work done by them? Are they out of the country?

Boris
Bohemian

City/Region: Vancouver
Vessel Name: Blue Skies & Sunshine
Photos: Blue Skies & Sunshine
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would have been a fast change as I just picked up my boat on last Thursday and King Canvas was there doing canvases for the boats.
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually spoke with King Marine Canvas today via telephone so as to check up on my pending camper canvas order for the new 22' Cruiser. Very nice receptionist answered the phone.

I posed the question to her. She did indicate that Dave has a good amount of C-Dory projects pending and that he has mentioned wanting to focus more on the larger yacht projects.

Sounds as if business is going very well for Dave and that he may simply wish to focus his efforts in a new direction. She gave me the feeling that all orders already placed would be fulfilled, and that only Dave himself can answer the question posed.

Regardless of what Dave wishes to do in the future, he has always done splendid work for my boats. In today's tough small business marketplace, I think it's wonderful that his business continues to prosper.

King Marine Canvas always receives two thumbs up in my book. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
Jimbo

City/Region: Maple Ridge
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Cheyenne
Photos: Cheyenne
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if this will be of help to anybody but I have a friend up here in BC that is a retired boat canvas builder/installer. He was out last week to finish up some canvas work for me and I asked if knew of a canvas builders in Wash. He mentioned that he used to know of two girls in the Bellingham area that called themselves "The Artful Dodgers" They started out just making sailboat dodgers but had moved on to do work on all boats. He wasn't sure if they were still around, but said they did good work.
Jimbo
ccflyer

City/Region: Bradenton, FL
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: Retriever
Photos: ccflyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an update -

Got a message on my cell yesterday from Dave's girl. My canvas was shipped Tuesday. She gave me a tracking number and UPS indicates it will be delivered Tuesday.

I'm glad its on its way and happy to hear Dave's business is booming.
Sound's like they'll hiring more folks at King Marine.
Rabbits Hutch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

23 MAR 06

I spoke to Dave personally. The spin on this story is incorrect. Dave has asked that I offer the correct information to the C-Brats.

The C-Dory factory has decided to do a small % of their own cushions in house. King Marine Canvas is still available for all products we may be in need of and very much looks forward to our continued business. He very much enjoys working with C-Dory customers and the factory.

That should wrap things up nicely and put this issue to bed.
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: King Canvas Reply with quote

Gary, thanks for the last post on King Canvas. I was going to give Dave a call and see if he would still build me a Bimini for the Mary Ellen. I wanted to wait till April for better weather before I drag the Mary Ellen out of the shop for the install. I now can rest, knowing that I will be able to get the canvas from a shop that knows our C-dorys backwards and frontwards. Again thanks, Big Mac.
nntucket

City/Region: Cohasset
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based upon this and other discussions about the work of King Marine Canvas, I ordered a mooring cover for my 16' C-Dory Cruiser, which just arrived a few days ago. The work was very well done, and the cover fits so well that it almost looks like it was shrink wrapped onto the boat. The delivery time was at least twice as long as I had been promised by Dave; however, it was well worth the wait. So, I join in the crowd of people on this board that recommends King Marine Canvas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: