The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Built Ford Tough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
416rigby

City/Region: Port Angeles
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Built Ford Tough Reply with quote

Needless to say, due to the trip ahead and some recent vehicle problems we decided to sell "The Beast" (don't ask Laughing ship the vehicle that was going to pick up the Foggy Dew(GMC Jimmy) , and we bought and took possesion today.........the 2001 F250 Triton V8 5.4 litre....urrrghhh, urrrghhh, urrrrghhh. The Foggy Dew will be in better hands, and a little less worrisome for us.......and Yes....a diesel would tow better but we got a good deal.....and life is good Very Happy Very Happy

At last...home for good in the Great Northwest!

2001 22 Cruiser "Foggy Dew" 2006-2013
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
State or Province: AZ
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice Truck! As a 30 year vet of Ford Service, I can assure you that you'll love this truck. Money wise, you can't justify the Diesel these days. You'll have plenty of towing power.

Is your boat trimmed in Ford Blue?

Once a C-Brat, always a C-Brat

Dreamer- Sold 25 Feb. 2013
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been looking for trucks. We have test drove a lot of them and almost bought the nissan titan but had to wait. As for the gas/diesel debat, I would like to have a new diesel but I figured that with the price of gas and diesel it would take 250,000 miles on the diesel to make back the extra money they want for them. Well thats a long time and if I can get 206,000 miles and counting out of my ranger, then 250 out of a new gas motor should be doable. The only benifit of diesel would be a used one. a 100,000 used diesel truck is only just broken in.
Dreamer

City/Region: Really Sunny SaddleBrooke
Photos: Dreamer
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, Good reasoning with one exception. The Diesel engine is just broken in at 100k. The rest of the truck is about half used up. Things start to wear out and break at that mileage.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The benefit of the diesel is more than just the miles per gallon difference; the towing capacity and the torque are considerably more with the diesel. Less work to tow means less stress at the end of the day. We are really enjoying the new diesel pick-up (Sierra 2500 HD) - quiet, comfortable, powerful... and it gets better mileage than our Tahoe. Wink

Best wishes,
Jim B.

Da Nag

C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE the diesel - there's also the resale issue. You'll make up most or all of that initial $5K price difference when you sell it, and with todays gas prices, they are in much higher demand as a used truck than gas models.

Of course, if you want to save money...buying any vehicle new is the real culprit. I understand the temptation, but I'll never buy new again. The option that makes the most financial sense, is buying something used with low miles, and driving it until it drops.

But...that's no fun. Mr. Green

416rigby

C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foggy Dew
Photos: Foggy Dew
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We agree, that is why we bought this one.....number one, we can't afford new....and this truck is in really nice shape and had only 25,000 miles on her so we should be good there. The main reason was however to have something less worrisome to tow with. We figured we would be ok with the Jimmy but we just feel so much better now. Everyone says we won't have any trouble towing with this one!!!!!!! We have 2100 miles to drive after we get off the ferry.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Da Nag wrote:

Of course, if you want to save money...buying any vehicle new is the real culprit. I understand the temptation, but I'll never buy new again. The option that makes the most financial sense, is buying something used with low miles, and driving it until it drops.

But...that's no fun. Mr. Green

Ahh yes, never buying new. Enter Craigs List. With lifted trucks all the rage, one can even replace tires with pull-offs on the cheap. I just scored 4 brand new tires with deluxe aluminum alloy rims off a 2006 Chev 2500HD for way less than the price of the tires alone, and the guy even installed them for me. I did have to admire his new lifted truck with the big fancy wheels though.... Very Happy

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: