View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: REPLACING ORIGINAL HELM SEAT ? Reply with quote

The factory seat is fine and comfortable for short trips, but if one were to spend a lot of hours in it, like a trip up to Alaska and back, I'm thinkng (for me at least) it would begin to get a little hard and unaccomodating. I wonder how many people have replaced it with a more ergonomical model?

If so, what did you use?

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe... Both Fishtales and I changed our seats....they are just plain uncomfortable... we ordered our seats through West Marine...they have a lower back brace that makes them very comfortable....I think they are Garelick brand...but not shown in the West Marine catalog...we special ordered them...they are really nice....Roger hard mounted his, I used a
Garelick Active Seat Suspension Unit on mine...supposed to absorb up to 75% of the shock.... it does help...kinda like sitting on springs...it also lifted the seat up about 2" so I can see over the bow much easier...

Joel
SEA3PO
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it aint for everyone but, as I mention in that other thread I yarded out the original seat, built a draw in that spot to elevate things a bit and threw a cushion on top of the whole mess. I then took a head rest from a car seat and had it covered with sunbrella material. I built a mount that the head rest posts slip into and use it as a backrest. The new backrest is adjusted so that it is over the galley counter so I can sit farther back from the helm.
Now that I'm sitting farther back and higher it's a bit better, but, I wasn't quite to the comfort zone yet. I swapped steering wheel, I now run a 13" wheel (don't know the pitch) and reworked that storage compartment below the helm making it much lower and wider, moved that front wall (the one that supports the seat and encloses the icebox) back about three inches and cut down the front edge of the seat mount board by about the same 3". I can now stand at the helm if need be (gots to have my head cocked though). I installed a grab handle as an extra foot rest.....
After all the rootin and tearin, it's comfy for me but I ended up with a seat cushion that is not overly big.
If you wnat me to modify yours for you let me know and I'll bring along the chainsaw if we ever make it to Shasta Smile

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Joe,

The seats that Joel and I have are Garelick. I hard mounted mine because the suspension system that Joel used raised the seat too high and close to the steering wheel.
Joel devised a way to tilt the steering wheel on his boat. This gave more room between the seat and the wheel.
The new seats are a lot more comfortable than the stock seats. Mine tilted back more than I liked, so I added some positioning screws at the hinge. This keeps the back a little straighter for my bad back.

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I have the Classic Angler, and have been wanting to do something with the seat. I now put a boat cushion on the seat to get me higher up so I can see better. The seat I have folds flat which gives me counter space for my galley. What I would like to do is move the present seat higher, creating storage space for charts, or put it on a swivel. I will also have to raise the foot rest because, when I use the cushion, my feet hang, and do not touch the foot rest. I have thought of adding a hinged foot rest so that the feet are more comfortable. On long trips, I often stand up in the middle, and steer the boat with one hand.

I won't be solving this problem this year, but I love to hear how others are handling the situation.

Fred Heap

C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fred,

The back of the Garelick seat is curved. I installed a flat surface to be used as a counter when the seat is down.
It would be kind of hard to swivel the seat with the engine controls where they are on my 22' cruiser.
ffheap

City/Region: Hingham
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Inn-The-Water
Photos: Inn-The-Water
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Roger. I shall look at it more. I did not know the seat folded down like mine, which is a cheap seat the came with the boat.

Thank You Again,

Fred
B~C

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my boat up at Rochester at a custom boat shop for some seceret work. maybe a photto will appear Smile
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken asked that I post this for him. We made some modification to his boat, then I followed him to the Columbia River and got this shot of him cruising by in the Blue~C.

Got to get a picture of him sitting up there.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:01 am; edited 1 time in total
B~C

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY, that's what I'm talking about, some real comfort, soon to be a factory option...the Lazy Boy roof.
I just some some pic of my re-worked helm staion in the B~C album
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some nice additions and thoughts! Have you thought about hinging the foreward part of the seat, so it will lift out of the way, and give more galley flat surface? Is the "head rest" enough back support to brace against in heavy seas?

Thanks,

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
B~C

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all those changes are the result of just sitting in the boat and pondering (spousal unit just thinks I'm hiding though)
That seat cushion is just held on with two snaps. I can peel the cushion and back rest off there in a snap and have me a Deluxe, gourmet kitchen area. That back rest is hell fer stout, mind you, it's not much of a back rest but it offers some support, it does keep my surgically altered back happy.

Like I said, the stuff I did isn't for everybody but , maybe, it will spark some ideas that a person can improve on and modify to suit themselves Smile
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The B-C Lazy-Folks Flying Bridge.. Almost as hot as the BarberChair.
C-Worthy

City/Region: Inside Passage
State or Province: AK
Vessel Name: Formerly owned "C-Worthy"
Photos: C-Worthy
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Seat replacement Reply with quote

I replaced the factory seat with a West Marine model.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product/10001/-1/10001/73234/10001/10951/37/18

It's really comfortable, and you sit higher to see over the bow. I had to pull out the icebox and drill some holes in the cabinet to accept the screws. Also the supplied screws weren't long enough and I had to hit the hardware store for some 3-inch long ones. All-in-all it was about an hour job.

The only odd thing is that when sitting for a long time, it gets a bit, well, how can I say it, humid. The old fabric seat breathed, but vinyl doesn't. This might be something to think about in a hotter climate. In Alaska, it's just a little different.

I also had to re-position the snap to hold the new seat down so it's flat like the old one did. It's nice to still have the room for cooking.

Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: