View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: oh no another prop ? Reply with quote

hey folks, I've been running a the four blade Comprops on the Honda twins (40hp) for a couple of years and have been happy with them, BUT, on our Lake Powell trip we had a blade that came apart. From reading through past posts, one gets the idea that this may be a common trait on older Comprops. My question/ dilemma, do I buy another Comprop to replace the failed one or buy a pair of something different like the Pro Pulse or Solas. Thoughts? opinions?
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since coming home from the Lopez gathering, I have been giving some serious thought to changing props on my twin 40 Hondas. Although it would cost big bucks I have been considering going to SS props. I know all the standard aluminum vs composite vs SS arguments but one I haven't heard is a case for safety. All my previous boats had a large main and kicker motor. I have several time hit floating debris and bent the aluminum prop on the main. It has always been in water calm enough that I stopped and changed the prop on the water. I am thinking that with twins and no other source of power, if I hit something and take out both props, and the water conditions are too rough to change props, I could be in serious trouble. With aluminum, unless they are totally destroyed, I don't know if you could safely get enough thrust to reach safety? I'm thinking with composite if you hit something you are really out of business. With SS if you hit most floating debris you probably don't even damage the prop. I think if I were changing props anyway, I would give serious thought to SS.
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C

Cavu Ken is really right, and for two times $300 or so you'll be indestructable (except that the SS props cause internal damage in the gearcase sometimes because they don't yield themselves).

Id'd go with Solas 4 blades myself instead. Less expensive, perform like hell, reasonaably safe during and after a collision, just don't chop logs up into particle board makings as well as SS.

In less dangerous waters, the Pro-Pulse would be a great choice, especially if you need to change pitch because of altitude changes occasionally as they have adjustable pitch. On the other hand, Bill and El made their SW Alaska / Inside Passage trip on them w/o any hits, so go figure the real odds of wiping both props out simultaneously.

The cheapest solution would be to go to ebay and buy another Comprop for about $50, then buy another for a spare. Not bad, either.

SS..............Solas 4Blade Al...............ProPulse........Comprops + Spare

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

No Worries, Mate! Lotsa good choices!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous

Last edited by Sea Wolf on Fri May 12, 2006 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Larry H

City/Region: Tulalip,
C-Dory Year: 1991
Photos: Nancy H
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my experience,

In 1991 I bent three aluminum props on the way to SE Alaska and back.

I bought a SS Evinrude factory prop and went to Alaska in 1992. Although I have hit some small wood, I have not bent the SS prop.

I am still running the same prop!! $350 divided by 14 years =$25/year.

Metal props have a rubber bushing between the splined inner hub and the prop to allow for slippage in the event of a strike.

I have also repaired and replaced gears, and gearcases where my customers hit rocks or sandbars on the Colorado River. Those blown gearcases were mostly on 150hp-250hp outboards operating at 45-75mph.

The usual result of a strike not absorbed by the rubber hub was for the pinion gear to split in two and explode out thru the side of the gearcase. Those were a total loss and required complete new gearcases.

Underwater strikes are normally covered by insurance, but you may not want to bill the insurance company for a prop as the cost of a prop may be under the deductible limit, but a blown gearcase can run into the thousands.

A C-Brat since Nov 1, 2003
Ranger Tug 27 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2017 - 2022
Puget Trawler 37 ex 'Jacari Maru' 2006-2017
1991 22' Cruiser, 'Nancy H'--1991-2006
B~C

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fun budget aint deep enough for a pair of SS props, if it boiled down to a pair of AL Solas or one replacement Comprop...whadda ya think?
SEA3PO

City/Region: Chester
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: SEA3PO
Photos: SEA3PO
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Ken... I am in da same boat... I have aluminum original props on my Yamaha twin 40hp.... they have suffered from my lack of sand fear...
I have worn the paint off both props and changed their profile several times.... out come the body and fender hammers... so I am in the market for some new props....

I kinda like the idea of the stainless...for pure strength...I am afraid of plastic as I am afraid I would just grind dem plastic replacement blades off ..... at least with metal I could still keep going....

Joel
SEA3PO
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Solas four blade is the way to go. They are the thickest aluminum props I've seen. Went trough two comprops in one trip to Canada at 90 bucks a piece it was a spending trip. Solas are $120 with shipping I have yet to bend one.
B~C

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, I was looking at an Overtons catalog today and they had the Solas props for about $20 more than Comprops. I may just try a pair
Brooks Cooper

City/Region: Camas
C-Dory Year: 1996
Vessel Name: Coop's Cruiser
Photos: Coop's Cruiser
PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, try iboats.com for solas props. They have pretty good prices. Brooks
B~C

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea, iboats was $86, a few dollars cheaper than Overtons. The Comprop through Cabella's was ~ $69. I think I'll cough up the dough for the Solas props. I've liked the Comprops and they've performed well but I can just see myself replacing the one and then having a blade blow off the other one a few months down the road...they'll make good spares
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BC Ken , now ya did it, got me thinkin' about our Propulse.
Except of the fact that I can change the pitch and such on the PP, I like the idea of the Solas or a SS Prop. Adding up what the PP cost+replacements of the blades I have trashed with my "get on the trailer NOW" adventures, I could have bought a SSor a Solas . So when I get back to full time $ making, I'll save my $ and replace the PP it looks like.
Capt. Jimmy
B~C

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry about that Jim. We where running around on the river today and I find myself just cringing at every stick I see since that one grenaded for no reason....keep in mind I don't have the Pro Pulse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Propellers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: