The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

hydrofoils
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that sound great. i will research the dimensions and get back to you. the filing and fitting I can do myself. Its that whole bending in a straight line that I don't have the equipment for. I will pm you in a few days.
Norm S

City/Region: Tacoma Wa
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 18 Angler
Vessel Name: The Divine Miss C
Photos: The Divine Miss C
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody out there that can help me out with dimensions for a permatrim? I'd like to try and build my own for my new 60. I figure I can make a swag between the sizes of the 70-90s and the 40-50s. Also thickness of the aluminum would help before I go scrounging for material. Thanks in advance.
Norm

oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm;

I made a hydrofoil for my 16’ Cruiser. I have a 50 HP Honda on it and the hydrofoil works very very good. Does not mater how heavy I am in the stern or light in the bow, I am able to lever the boat with the engine trim.

The hydrofoil is a close copy of the Permatrim. I did not have an actual Permatrim to copy, so I guessed at the dimensions. I am pretty sure mine is a thinner gage aluminum that the Permatrim, so I put a slight break (just a few degrees) in the middle for strength. The thinner gage aluminum will create less drag. I actually increased my top end by 2 MPH with it. There has been no adverse affects to my boat with it.

The thumbnail photo below will take you to the drawing in my photo album (last photo on the page). Actual photos of it on my engine are in my Boat Projects Album, photo numbers 23 & 24 (last two photos on previous album page).

You may have to make yours slightly larger. If you do, I would not make it more than 20 inches wide (16” with bends) and 17.3 inches long. That will give you an overall 17% increase in size. Your engine has 20% more power and your boat is around 15% larger than the 16, so the 17% increase should be about right. The cut out to mount on your engine may be different also.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Byrdman

City/Region: Cumberland River, Clarksville,
Vessel Name: " ? " After Rename Ceremony
Photos: FreeByrd and C-Byrd
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norm.... hummm... new motor, more speed, new fin.... even more speed.... Ever watched one of those blow over backwards boats on ESPN?
Falco

City/Region: Flagstaff
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Bucking Coho
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: With standard trim tabs, it's vital that they be retracted (full up) when motoring in following seas to prevent one or the other being "caught" and rapidly spinning the boat broadside to the waves. (I learned the hard way.) Has anyone had experience running with permatrims or permatrim-like attachments in following seas? What about on twins (which would be more like a trim tab set up)? Any problems?

Thanks in advance.
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Bob's Hydrofoil Reply with quote

I got my new hydrofoil installed yesterday and took it for a short spin with Jim (Duck) and another friend aboard. Since I was replacing an old plastic (rubber) doe fin, I did not see a dramatic difference in "hole shot" but where I did see and feel the difference was in steering response at slow speed (docking). I have Bennet Trim tabs as well and wishing for this feature more then anything else.

For 39.95 plus shipping I am more then pleased with the setup.

Additional photo in my album.

1993 Angler-02' 115 Suzuki 4 Stroke
james

City/Region: CRYSTAL RIVER
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: COOL CHANGE
Photos: COOL CHANGE
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: bobs stabillizer plate Reply with quote

I just got my bobs hydro installed last night...
I will see this weekend what differance it makes.
Glad to see you like your's.

Also when I installed mine i ended up with about a 1/8 gap in the front between the stabillzer and the hydro...I don't think it will be a problem, but I am not totally happy with that.
May take it back off and grind a few places to get a flush fit...we'll
see. ended up using 5200 on it since my 4200 was old and would not flow. I wanted to get it installed. Might be crucial error on my part if I need to take it off.. Crook .

James
Papillon

City/Region: DeBary, Fl. *On the St. John's River*
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Papillon
Photos: Papillon
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem with the motors trim tab, and had to cut out the notch because of the angle of the tab. I called Bob's and this was what I was told to do. I had the same problem pertaining to bedding compound, and I subsituted Liquid Nails, since it is just to provide for reduced vibration and not required to really hold anything together.

Good Luck and let us hear from you once you have tested it out on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: