View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Mushroom ID Reply with quote

Anybody know if these are morels? Walked a blackberry vine to the burn pile and found these growing from the base of it...I called Steve over and neither of us have ever seen anything like these...from the pics I've found on the internet, I think they might be morels...

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/CatyMae/P4210002.sized.jpg
AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both morrels and false morrels are found in the NW. Both are edible, someone told me. I'd get someone who is skilled at IDing these before considering eating them. False morrels are found in quantity near the bases of cottonwoods on the dredge spoil islands in the Columbia, FWIW.
Chris Bulovsky

City/Region: Washburn
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: SCOUT
Photos: SCOUT
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a morrel. Close but no Cigar . In Wisconsin they have deep ridges on top. Kind of sponge looking.

Please post what you find out.

Chris
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It kinda looks like the remains of a chocolate Easter bunny that got left out in the rain.

(Sorry - didn't have enough pole holders on the boat so we had to run home and check the CBs while we were here.)

Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look like morels to me!

However, the one thing they taught us about morels and mushrooms (as well as other forms of fungi) in school (biology minor), was that there were lots of varieties and look-alikes in this fraternity of fungus characters.

Thus the admonition not to eat any unless you were absolutely sure of their type and safety for consumption.

Many of the mushrooms and morels contain alkaloids which cause serious poiisioning, including permanent liver damage and shorter term mental disorientation and hallucinations.

Still, there are those that eat them.

Local groups of residents who know what their resident mushroom and morel types look like, where to find them, and have proven over the years that they are safe to eat, find them a good and very tasty food source. Many say that some of the morels are far better tasting than any of the mushrooms.

But the one professor who knew them best said she wouldn 't ever eat any of the wild grown mushrooms or morels unless someone with a Ph.D. in Mycology (fungus study) certified they were safe.

Bon apetit? Shocked Shocked Shocked

morel

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
john schuler

City/Region: Missoula, Montana
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Clara (sold)
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: I think so Reply with quote

Looks like the kind that grow after fires in Montana. I've picked and eaten
lots of them. But Sea Wolf is right about being safe than sorry. Better you
pick a 5 gallon bucket full and send to me. I'll let you know how they are
to eat.

CoolSmile john schuler CoolSmile
jimandlaurie

City/Region: Puyallup
State or Province: WA
Photos: Laurna Jo
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing like the spirit of volunteerism from the C-Brats. Very Happy
Now how can ya beat offers like that?! Wink Aren't ya glad ya asked?
As for the 'shrooms ya got me, way beyond my expertise, which is none,since we were always told to feed'em to the dog first... Cat

2004 C-Dory Skiff- Little Poit Dhubh
2005 C-Dory 25 Cruiser -sold 2103
2002- C-Dory 22 Cruiser- Sold 2005
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, neither of us is interested in the life insurance money right now, so they'll just stay there and grow or die...WE ain't eatin 'em! I agree on the bunny left in the rain theory -- I thought they were burnt up corn cobs when I first saw them...but we haven't had any corn on the cob! Shall I ship them to Montana? ar ar ar
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morels come in a couple of different styles. Both of the photos in this thread show true morels. Delicious when floured and sauteed in butter. There are quite a few false morel varieties out there, too. I think most of them are dangerous to eat. Some of them look a lot like the true varieties and some of them look just plain wierd. It's best to spend the $$ to get a really good mushroom ID guidebook. The book will explain how to tell if they are really true morels. If you doget a book, you will find yourself seeing mushrooms that you have never noticed before. This is an amazing branch of the plant family tree. It's full of colors and shapes that many of us walk right past when we are in the fields and the woods. There's even a variety that looks like a cauliflower that is great tasting.

When I first started collecting mushrooms to eat, I went for about two years before I tasted any. Then I started with a couple of varieties that were [u]nearly[/u] foolproof (chanterelles and meadow mushrooms with the pink gills.) Even now, if there's even the slightest doubt, I leave'em right there.
I now pick shaggy manes, porcini and the morels along with the first two.

There is a local mycology society near you or at the closest university. Like C-Brats, most of these people are avid about their hobbies and they can give you positive identifications if you show them what you have.

Be careful and enjoy.

Pat
Patrout

City/Region: NORTH POLE
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-FARER
Photos: C-FARER
PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just noticed you are in Jefferson OR. I used to live in Lebanon. The mushroom people at OSU are pretty active. I think they used to put on a yearly workshop. The mushrooms you have really like to grow in burn pile areas. Up here in Alaska, the commercial pickers come up and scour the areas where there have been forest fires the previous year. This is a big money activity for the hunting and gathering crowd.

Morels grow in the spring. Most of the other edibles in Oregon come out in the fall when the rains start. In the Stayton and Silverton areas you may even find aging flower children still walking hunched over in old hay fields looking for the psychedelic varieties when autumn comes.

Now that has to be a lot more information than you ever wanted to know.
Sad

Pat
CatyMae n Steve

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrout wrote:
I just noticed you are in Jefferson OR. I used to live in Lebanon. In the Stayton and Silverton areas you may even find aging flower children still walking hunched over in old hay fields looking for the psychedelic varieties when autumn comes.

. . . Now that has to be a lot more information than you ever wanted to know. Sad

Pat

Small world, eh...I was born in Lebanon, and this is the closest I've been to it since! We're leaving the shrooms to grow or whatever they do...first time we'd seen any that looked like that! Wow, wonder if there are folks at the Biscuit fire area picking mushrooms? I'll stick to buyin 'em in the grocery store Laughing
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you may even find aging flower children still walking hunched over in old hay fields looking for the psychedelic varieties when autumn comes.

I bought an old farm at the Maytown Intersection on I-5 just south of Olympia, WA. Built a Real Estate office that looked like a barn with a big neon sign that said Land, to catch the California crowd moving up here in the mid 70s to early 80s. Evidentially one of them discovered the psychedelic mushrooms growing in the fields around the office. At times there would be dozens of flower children in the fields looking for the mushrooms. The hippies or someone published a magazine listing the top sites for the psychedelic mushrooms and our field was listed as one of the best in the nation. Don’t remember what rank we had but it seems like it was one or two. Sold the site in the 80s and now Ritchie Brothers has a heavy equipment auction yard there.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 am; edited 1 time in total
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look like the real deal to me. I like to pick them, then cut them open to look for bugs and such. When you cut them lengthwise they should always have a neat HOLLOW center. Getting really close to season around here on the Peninsula.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catdogcat-

So for you the moral

of the morel story is

slice, check twice, de-lice, and

butter now than nather?
catdogcat

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Plankton
Photos: catdogcat - TBA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Xmas Naughty Xmas Naughty . You crack me up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: