The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar Arch Dimensions & Price

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt'n Bill

City/Region: Big Island
State or Province: HI
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Malia Kai
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Radar Arch Dimensions & Price Reply with quote

I'm still waiting for my 1994 22' cruiser to arrive from Honolulu, and found a beautiful radar arch for about $860, and can't tell from the line drawings if it is the right size so I was wondering if anybody could tell if it would fit, making sure that installation will not be hindered by the rise in the center of the roof or the exterior hand rails. Here are the dimensions :

The mounting bases are 11 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 inches wide. Overall width to outer edge of mounting bases is about 64 1/2 inches. The arch itself is about 15 inches tall. The other consideration would be the slant of the cabin roof. The mounting bases are flat and would seem to need to bolt onto a flat roof unless some sort of modification could be done. It seems like a lot to ask someone to take these measurements, but this seems like a really good deal in that the radar arches I've seen run $1500.00. Could save some serious $$$.

It comes with 4 rocket launchers, all around light poll, and 2 halogen deck lights.

Thanks in Advance,

Bill S.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds pretty close Bill but with my boat 90 miles away, be hard to be sure. It might be a little wide. Someone will go measure for you.

The flat base can be fixed with a little shim, the cabin top isn't exactly flat, it's got a little slope to it.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
My boat is a different year so I don't know if the measurements will be the same for you. My cabin top is 72 inches wide and has considerable crown to it. There is a two inch overhang on each side so the actual mounting areas where you could thru-bolt an arch would be a max of about 67 inches apart. It appears that the mounting flanges would need about 10-15 degree angle to sit flat and flush on the roof top.

Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Ken & Charly Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

But I think that before I pay to have that thing shipped from the mainland, I need to see if someone is willing to actually take the dimensions that I mentioned above, and make sure that the mounting brackets will not be directly overlying any bulkheads or handrails. I believe that the mounting brackets must be wide enough to clear the hand rails, but not be too wide so that they are not sitting directly on top of where the cabin sidewalls meet the cabin roof.

Thanks,

Bill S.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, you might send an e-mail to the factory and ask them. Jeff is usually very good about giving out info. they might even be able to tell you the mounting dimensions of the ones they install.

Charlie
SeaSpray

City/Region: Brentwood, CA
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: SeaSpray
Photos: SeaSpray
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,
If you can find the info on this site I bought my radar arch from Bolton Stainless in BC. They have the c-dory dimensions and will make it to fit. I got mine for less than half that price with shipping. It was a very good deal. They usually just build for dealers/factories but there is someone there (Mac, John - don't remember) who likes c-dory's. He will slip in a special order when they have a break and have the guys build it. I got mine in less than 4 weeks. It was such a good deal I later ordered the inside hand rails from them also. There should be a pic in my album where you can see the arch.

Steve
Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Bolton Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Steve,

Sounds great!!! Thanks. I just googled them, doesn't look like they have a website. Do you have their zip code or city so that I can look them up on the yellow pages.

Thanks,

Bill S.
Captains Cat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cap'n Bill. Take a look at the topic "leak integrity on Radar Arches" This post is from that...

Charlie

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:18 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

there is another aspect to think about.
My radar arch is a little wider and the bolts and hole for the wiring are outside the walls of the cabin on the overhang of the roof.then you can route the cable in from the front under the brow with a cable clam to seal the hole

I bought my arch from Bolton Stainless up in Canada. they are,or were, the mfg. of all the bow railings for C-Dory.the # for their shop is 250/545-6226. they delivered it to the US when they brought a delivery to CD and I just met them at the freeway along the way.

SENSEI

City/Region: Stanwood
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: SENSEI
Photos: SENSEI and SERENITY
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought my arch from Bolton Stainless.
phone # is 250/545-6226
they are up in Canada on the Eastern side of the mountains of British Columbia
here is a pic of my application

here is the pic of the wire going in under the brow

1993 22 Cruiser (sold 2014)
1995 22 Angler (acquired 2016)
1983 22 Classic (sold 2017)
Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Roger's Radar arch Reply with quote

Great Roger,

That's the second plug that I received from Bolton. I already saw that thread on the leaks, saw your install, and loved it-A good solution. I suppose that you got a great deal on that arch too?

Bill
DaveS

City/Region: Arlington
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Sea Shift
Photos: Sea Shift
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill S.
I just went out and measured mine. I have two circular bases on each side of my arch. Each base is 3" in diameter. The distance from the outer edge of the bases towards the stern of the vessel are 63 1/2 inches to their outer edges. (There would be room for them to be least 65" to the outer edges). Because of the raised center portion of the cabin, I'm unable to provide you with the distance for the bases towards the bow of the vessel. On each side the bases are 17 1/2 inches (outer edges) apart. If you look closely at page 4 of my photo album, (photos #7 and #8 on that page), you may be able to discern the general construction of my arch. (Those are distant photos so difficult to see, but may be of help).

Judging from your description of the arch you are considering, it seems that it would work, but as others have mentioned you may need some type of tapered shims.

C-Brat #16
Capt'n Bill

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Bolton Stainless Steel Reply with quote

Thank You Roger & Steve,

I just spoke with Tom at Bolton Stainless. After I receive my boat. I just need to take measurements and e-mail them to him. Great price!!! You guys saved me a bundle.

Bill S. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt'n Bill

You'll be happy with the Bolton rack. It's designed for the CD-22.

Plus, no matter what the dimensions were for the other one you had spotted, you really wouldn't know whether or not it would have looked "right" on the boat aesthetically until you put it up on the roof.

Go with the "safe" choice!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: