The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Handheld GPS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:20 am    Post subject: Handheld GPS Reply with quote

Considering buying a Garmin GPS72 for a backup unit. Does anyone have one? Problems? Thoughts on other brands of similar unit.

Thanks - Dave
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bare-bones Garmin 12 for years. Last year bought a GPS Map76CS. We're absolutely delighted with it.

Superb color screen, indoors or out, sunshine or not. 115 MB memory. S = sensors. Compass is so-so, uses batteries but can be turned off. Barometer/altimeter is excellent - VERY precise once calibrated to a known altitude. It will change a few feet from the ground to eye level!

Memory has room for several states of detailed roads, topo, points of interest, etc. I have not yet installed any of their nautical charts, but will be checking this out on my son's unit in a few weeks.

76CS is definitely more expensive, but I'm glad I paid the extra bucks.

PM if you'd like any more info.

Ed Gallaher

Oh, yeah. It is waterproof, and floats! And no, that's NOT how you use it for a man overboard drill . . . .
C-batical

City/Region: Pinckney
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Batical
Photos: C-Batical
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave:

I have owned a Garmin Map 76 for over five years. I use it kayaking, in my car and as a backup on my boat. It has been dropped, doused, and kicked and it is still ticking. I have found Garmin to be very good about software updates and standing behind their products. When I first got my GPS I took it along on a trip down the Green River in Utah. It was 120 degrees F and the LCD screen fogged up a little after a few days. I returned the unit to Garmin . They fixed it and had it back to me within ten days. I have had no problems since. After I bought mine, Garmin has updated this model. Garmin now offers models with color display and increased memory. As Gary suggested, I would pay the extra bucks for these features because it would make the unit easier to read and well you can never have enough memory.

Best regards,
Rollie/C-Batical
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a GPSMAP76, vintage 2002, updated the firmware once. Loaded with Puget Sound / San Juan / Gulf Islands chart data from a Blue Chart CD. Also have the 12V adapter cord and the little mounting bracket. It is our main backup to the Raymarine C-80 on Daydream, and we have used it in the car as well. We also have used it to provide GPS input to the laptop for MS Streets and Trips and Coastal Explorer. It is a GREAT unit, today you should get one with a color screen, and I notice in the West Marine spring catalog that they now have a color model that takes microSD cards for unlimited storage of data and eliminates the need to physically connect the GPS and the computer - that would be the cat's meow for sure. These guys are more expensive than a lot of units, but I too am really sold on them.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Last edited by Pat Anderson on Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While no hands-on experience with the 76, we have had 5 Garmin units on different boats over the years. They have all been very reliable and easy to use. The one time I needed Garmin customer service, they had the unit back to me in just over a week. Currently we use a Garmin 176c (portable, but not as small as their handheld models) on the boat and in our land vehicles. While not current (see their 276 and 376 models), it has a nice color screen, great detail (especially with their bluechart cards) and accuracy. This unit will be our backup GPS in our new C-Dory. I'm sure you'd be very pleased with the 76 and its performance.

Best wishes,
Jim B.

El and Bill

City/Region: Lakewood, CO
State or Province: CO
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Halcyon
Photos: Halcyon
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have two Garmin units mounted on Halcyon and one Garmin handheld in our emergency 'overboard' kit (the 76 CS is a great unit). We have found Garmin service to be superior and their Blue Charts and chartplotters to be outstanding.
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Taco
Photos: <a>Da Boats</a>
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll toss in another 76C (or CS) recommendation. It's been a superb unit, and I'll echo the comments on the display. I'd pay the extra bucks just for that...when you're looking at a relatively tiny screen, you want it as sharp and bright as possible.

Aside from it's marine capabilities, it's a great unit for driving navigation when you load it up with the City Select software. It sits on my dash in the bean bag mount on every road trip I take.

Many vendors have good bundle deals. There are several places online with good reputations - I've found TVNav to have great prices, and excellent service. I've bought numerous Garmin products through them, and have always been satisfied. Daryl (the owner) knows the products inside and out...he's a good information resource as well.

AstoriaDave

City/Region: Astoria
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working off the deck of a sea kayak, I needed something a little more compact, so I bought a Map 60C a year ago, and have used it on the lower Columbia, in the Canadian Gulf Islands, and quite a bit in Barkley and Clayoquot Sounds on the west coast of Vancouver Island (BlueCharts, all). My use demands absolute water proofness, and the 60C came through for me even when the deck was awash for hours at a time.

In addition, the display is highly visible in both sunlight and in shadow.

Garmin has recently upgraded the 60C to the 60CX, which has improved reception. Could be there are some gearheads out there who will dump their 60C's for a bargain price. Not a bad choice ... about the same memory and screen size as the 76 line of handhelds, but a much smaller overall package if you want it to double for hiking. And, color is incredibly helpful in making use of BlueCharts on a small screen.

One caveat: the plastic case on the 60C ewploys a captured screw on the back for a belt attachment clip, and a buddy found it not very durable -- first one died in the installation phase, and he decided to do what I have: glue velcro to the back and mate that to complementary velcro.

Garmin's handhelds seem superior to others. I'd buy another in a flash.

Flip

City/Region: Potter Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Pooch
Photos: Pooch
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just bought a used 72 on e-bay and really like it, very easy to use. One feature that is important to us is the connection to our radio that will give our position if we use the man overboard button. However if I was to do it over again would buy the 76MAPs it just has a lot more to offer. Have already started to look for one.
iggy

City/Region: Hillsboro, OR
Vessel Name: Edward Gallaher
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: GPS antenna Reply with quote

Another note --

Check to be sure your unit will accept an external antenna input!

Garmin sells an external antenna for about $70-$90. There is a similar unit available for about $25-$30 (I'll post the mfg later; it's out in the car). I've read specs that indicate the dB pickup exceeds the Garmin -- I can't vouch for that, but I can say it works extremely well and is about $60 cheaper!

It comes with a looong cord, incl magnetic and suction cup mounts. I have mine on the rear roof of my car, snaked around the back window, into the trunk, and up between the front seats.

We usually pick up 7-9 strong satellite signals, compared to 4-5 medium signals w/o the antenna. I have seen up to 10-11 at once! They work so well we've been meaning to buy two more -- one for wife's car, and an extra so we don't have to keep removing and reinstalling them.

(e.g. While hiking, place it on your head, under baseball cap; run cable down your back, down your sleeve to hand-held unit. Now you can put unit in your pocket w/o losing signal. [Be prepared for some minor adjustments when you forget about it and take off your hat to scratch your head; and try not to do this when other people are looking . . . ])

Batteries:

The GPS12 used 4 AA, was relatively heavy, and ATE batteries (6-8 hours?). So we added a 12-V power cord in the car. A hassle! Map76 is same size but takes TWO AA, which last 12-20 hours, and provides a much lighter package. Now we don't bother with 12-V cable. I imagine most of the newer units are similarly energy efficient, but can't say for sure.

Memory cards:

Can't say for sure, but until recently these were not available in the waterproof units. Seems like this should be possible. If available I'd look for that feature (but would NOT give up the sealed case to get it!). It would be great to have several cards with appropriate data installed. e.g. one for car, another for boat, one for hiking.

Ed
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dell AXIM X51v for my GPS. It weighs 6 oz and I have three 1 Gig memory cards for it. One has my street maps, one topo maps and one with my marine charts. It also has wireless capabilities. When I am near a wireless access point, I can go on the internet and also get my email. It also doubles as a small computer with Word, Excel, and Outlook on it. Battery life depends on screen brightness and application you are using. Varies between three and six hours. It has a small color screen 2.3 x 3”. It is very sharp and easy to read in bright sunlight. It has a 12 volt plug for external power and an external antenna with a 4’ pigtail. Have used it in the rain without trouble but it is not waterproof.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: