The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing with a class C motorhome?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leo Smith

City/Region: West Seattle
State or Province: WA
Photos: Leo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Towing with a class C motorhome? Reply with quote

I'm looking at class C motorhomes with a Ford E350, v-10 rig. Most of these MH are rated for 5k towing capacity. Does anyone in this group tow with a C? The towing looks easy, the launching and retrieving might be a different story. Would you consider a backup camera to be an essential item on the MH for launching and retrieving? I appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks!
Leo
CAVU

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CAVU
Photos: CAVU
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have personal experience with a Class C, but I traveled once with a fishing buddy who used one to launch his 21' boat. He had a front hitch that he used to launch and it worked pretty slick. I often launch my 22 C-Dory with my truck and slide-in camper. Should be pretty similar to the motorhome. The best tip I could give is learn to use your mirrors and if possible have a spotter while you are backing up.
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's what George and Penny on WANDERER have, at least that's what they parked in my driveway when they visited in Maine.

Here's a LINK to a thread on motor home towing. You can see George and Penny's info there.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
Mighty Bite

City/Region: Fairbanks, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Mighty Bite
Photos: Mighty Bite
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been towing, launching with a 29' Class C, and a 22' C-Dory for the last 10 years and have had no problems. The Class C is on a Ford chassis with a 460 V8. I also have a 2' extended tongue on the trailer.

Backing the trailer is very doable, even in relatively tight spots and ramps that you have to dogleg to get into. A simple add on makes all the difference. I ran a fiberglass rod across the trailer (thru the holes in the
frame) at the rear of the frame, behind the fenders, just ahead of the tail of the frame. The rod sticks out beyond the fenders on either side. I have a bright colored ball on the end of each rod. If the trailer is lined up perfectly behind the motorhome you can just see each ball in the mirrors. Without this the trailer is obscured completely. With the ball set-up the attitude and placement of the trailer is always apparent and makes trailering and backing with a motorhome a piece of cake. It works works great for me.

You could carry that a step further and put a light on the end of the rods.

Good luck and enjoy!

Sealife

City/Region: Woodland Hills
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: SeaLife
Photos: SeaLife
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 22' Tiger motorhome and it tows great and is not a problem at the launch ramp. Helps to have a spotter, and a little practice with mirrors, but otherwise is not a problem.
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo, I fully intend to tow the "Jenny B" behind a Class C just as soon as we can go back on the road again. Specifically, a Lazy Daze which has just as big a "cult following" as C-Dorys. I intend to install a Pioneer navigation system including backup camera in deference to spouse's inability to direct or spot. Running around with a full time Nav system on the boat and in our Toyota has spoiled us forever. Especially when it gives voice prompts for turns etc.

We've watched folks launch 25-28 foot boats from 29-32 ft. motorhomes - some amazingly fast, albeit not single-handing it, and I'm now convinced it's not the "big deal" I thought it would be. Backing a 26 ft. overall trailer with a 26 ft. "C" should be far easier than backing a 30 ft. 5th wheel into a tight resort back-in RV space, something we've done many times.

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
rcwass

City/Region: South Berwick
State or Province: ME
C-Dory Year: 1990
Vessel Name: Lorraine J
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Towing with a Class C Motorhome Reply with quote

Leo,
I had a 20' Class C. Towing my 22' Cruiser wasn't a problem until I hit the hills, small 318 CI motor. Launching and retrieving was ok with a spotter and taking things slow watching both mirrors all the time. I looked into a front hitch but the front of my Dodge wasn't built to handle a hitch. Also, be careful about vehicle tow ratings and the hitch they install. Some vehicles are rated for higher towing then the hitch can handle. I also had a few years on my motorhome before I started pulling my C-Dory and I had rear wheel bearings on the motorhome go. I had to have two tow trucks, one for the boat and one for the motorhome. One campsite on the Sacramento River I either had to launch and retrieve the boat each day or beach the boat and sleep in the boat rather then the motorhome because of a lot of boat theft on the river during the nights. My family slept in the motorhome and I in the boat. Loved my motorhome and love my C-Dory.

SOLD IT. Bought my 1990 22' C-Dory Cruiser new in Fairfield CA. Lived in Vallejo CA. Fished the bays and the Sacramento River. Towed it across country in 1995 to Maryland. Lived in Tall Timbers MD and fished the Potomac River. Towed the C-Dory to Maine in 2001. Now settled and will be fishing the rivers, bays and Atlantic. Boats Name: Hunky Dory. Yes another "Hunky Dory".
fiddlersgreen6

City/Region: Riverside, Ca. & Melbourne Beach, Fl.
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Don Quixote
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo- what kind of boat did you finally buy? After selling your Toland 18. Rich
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leo,

I don't have anything to add to the link that Charlie pointed you to. Other than the tow home from the dealer, we have towed with a Tahoe. One day I would like to take a trip where we tow with the motorhome, stay in a campground while we explore the area by land and water. When not camping, I'd rather leave the Tahoe than the motorhome at the launch site when we go off for weeks at a time.

If you have a long overhang behind your rear wheels and a steep ramp make sure you don't put your tail pipe underwater.

Good luck.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
C-Otter

City/Region: Superior
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1985
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: C-Otter
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My motor home has a Chev. 6.0 motor and pulls the boat guite well. Have not had it on a 6% grade yet, but does well on hills.

When I pull with the MH I carry hip boots so I can get to the winch on the Trailer. Not needed with PU.

Jack on C-Otter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Towing with Class C Reply with quote

We are towing a C22 with a class c motor home with a 450E chassis. No problem. Mileage not too good though. Wink
Leo Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your responses! Coming from a boating background into the RV world, There is a lot to learn. The RV world is big on glitz. Sneaks (Don) has turned me on to Lay Daze, which appears to be the D-Dory of the class C world. The hype in this industry is amazing and the RV salepeople are an entertaining bunch too! It is too bad that C-Dory doesnt build class C Mh's. They could do well bringing their boat-building philosophy to the RV world.
Best Regards,
Leo
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Leo. In fact, this thread was the straw for us, and we ordered our new 23.5TK Lazy Daze just after my previous post. Expected to be delivered just before the July 4 weekend.

As for cult status, one need only read the lifewithalazydazerv group on Yahoo Groups to read a forum much like here. Owners say the LD is the be all end all wonderful RV, but between owners, they spend a lot of time cussing and discussing "custom improvements". Same as here. Like C-Dory, the LD factory totally (and fully) supports their owners.

In our decision process we poured over the RV consumer group data and the top three in overall quality, safety, capability and customer satisfaction were Lazy Daze, Bigfoot, and Born Free. AFAIC, the LD user group most resembled the Brats, so between the fact that the factory is only 90 miles away and the owners are pretty cool, we made our choice.

Don
Leo Smith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Don,
I just recieved my RV Consumer Group information yesterday. I started reading their book on evaluating RV's and what an eye-opener! The quality of the information I recieved from this organization is money well-spent. I will check out the Lazy Daze yahoo group. Thanks for the information!
Best regards,
Leo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: