View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Dinette Seat Storage Modification Reply with quote

I seemed like every time I'd get something from the storage compartment beneath the aft dinette seat I would pinch my fingers while replacing the cushion.

...had to be a better way. Hmmm...

Solution:

(1) Remove board backing from cushion, and have an upholstery person convert it to a regular cushion (fabric on both sides).

(2) Fabricate a hinged board to cover the opening (see photos).

Works very well, now the compartment is easier to access (and no more pinched fingers).

See photos at: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album161&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

(Sorry, I don' t know how to make that an easier link....)

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a pre-made teak door and frame at WestMarine and installed it on the side of the storage. Works great. Don't have to lift the cushon anymore.
KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These side door arrangements really look great, especially the ones with the teak and vented (louvered) doors!

Just two questions, though:

1. Isn't it easier to get stuff out of the seat locker from on top once the top's off, rather than through a hole (door) in the side of the rectangular cabinet, and

2. Can't you pack the cabinet tighter and with much more stuff from the top rather than the side, which is of paramount importance with the limited storage space available on a C-Dory?

I'm not trying to knock your work, which is beautiful, but I'm thinking my CD-22 is looking a bit pregnant and slow with all the stuff I keep accumulating in it and wondering how to maximize my storage space(?).

Dusty would have The Big One if he saw how much stuff I have on board!!!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Casey

City/Region: The Villages(FL)
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: "Dessert 1st"
Photos: Dessert 1st
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe,

I think one of the really novel things about owning a C-Dory is the way owner's can adapt the boat to their own style of use. That said, since we are not fisherpeople - we tend to lean toward cruiser-style in our modifications. I am sure many adaptations serve a variety of uses, but for us things like floorboards, removable carpeting, cockpit windows and screening, and easily accessible storage seem useful.

Like you, I think the louvered teak door(s) are beautiful; and considered installing them. However, for access to the storage area above the watertank I opted for a top opening solution rather than an end opening. (Might make accessing stuff in the "back" easier.) Yea, it's still necessary to remove the cushion to gain access but at least my fingers don't get pinched any more.

As to the amount of stuff we (all...) carry -- yea, we probably tote too much stuff, but that's a housekeeping issue. Slowly but surely we're moving in the direction of trveling a little lighter and having the boat setup for cruising with a fairly complete set of items in the camper as well so it's also setup for tripping. We've found that carrying stuff back and forth from camper to boat during the launch/retrieve phase is a hassle and want to make things as easy as possible. ...lazy I guess.

One of the items I'm thinking about is making a cockpit cover (like Roger/Fishtales has) so I can leave more stuff in the cockpit during trailering. Hmmm...have to give that more thought.

Outfitting a C-Dory is a little like fixing/relacing/repairing things around the house. You think that one day the messing-around jobs will be completed; but they never end. I guess maybe that's part of the fun, eh?

Everybody has different ideas - I guess that's why God made chocolate and vanilla!

Casey
C-Dory Naknek
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Casey-

Nice to hear from you again!

I like your project very much! It preserves the maximum storage potential of the seat lockers while keeping the seat organized and meeting your specific needs. Great solution and nice work!

You do, of course, make some vey good points in your response, and I agree with you fully about the customization and fitting of individual needs that can be done with the C-Dory, having owned a C-Dory for 8 years and being a member of all four C-Dory user groups fom their beginnings.

I'm sorry if I didn't spend the proper time putting the question about storage space in a totally positive context and apologizing for it's content which some might view as negative. There was no intent to degrade anyone's work in any way.

What I can offer you as an explanation is that those of us who have been here from the beginning and have gone around on some of these topics that recurr every few months, sometimes feel a need to point out an aspect of a topic that typically gets overlooked, in this case the impact on total storage area access and utilization of the side door approach. I feel it's also appropriate to include in the discussion the down side that seldom gets mentioned. No offense intended, just adding in a few more factors for others reading the discussion to consider.

I'll try to be a little more diplomatic from now on!!!

Joe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: