The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

4Runner owners, info needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: 4Runner owners, info needed Reply with quote

The late model (2003-2006) 4Runner hitch receiver cannot use a "generic" hitch/ball combination because the distance between the hitch pinmount and the spare tire isn't long enough.

I have noticed one or two Brats own and tow with 4Runners. Did you buy the "Genuine" Toyota hitch and mount a 2" ball to it or did you simply whack off 3/4" from the end of a generic ball mount hitch and go with that?

Don
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhat related- we used to have a Landcruiser and I had to shove the hitch in rather hard up against the spare to get the pin in...I always thought I should trim some off the hitch before I ended up tearing up the spare....we ended up trading the luxry craft off for a diesel jetta which left more money for boat gas Smile
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
somewhat related- we used to have a Landcruiser and I had to shove the hitch in rather hard up against the spare to get the pin in...I always thought I should trim some off the hitch before I ended up tearing up the spare....we ended up trading the luxry craft off for a diesel jetta which left more money for boat gas Smile

So how good does the Jetta tow the boat???

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welll, just damn fine but I'll never post a picture of it on iflish though Smile we takes the f150 for boat towing and the jetta for Worldmark/trendwest junkets....but if we still had the LC, I'd be whittling about an inch off that hitch
Sneaks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Precisely what I did, Ken. Today during their lunch break I had a nearby steel fab shop chop off 3/4" plus the mark which got it short enough to just clear the little new tire "titties". Cost? 6 pack of cold Carta Blanca.

OTOH, a genuine Toyota hitch bar that fits can be had for $79.95 plus shipping and a 2 week wait. On top of that, it doesn't even come with a ball.

Almost as bad as buying a Ford accessory.

Don
cadenza

City/Region: Sarasota
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cadenza
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: 4Runner owners, info needed Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to list but have been reading and enjoying all the good stuff here for a couple of months. I'm finally getting serious about buying a new C-22 and am now looking for a tow vehicle. I would appreciate any comments as to whether a 4x4 4Runner with a V8 is adequate for the job. The other option is a Sequoia, but would rather go with the 4Runner if it can handle it. I plan to get an aluminum trailer, so that will lighten the load somewhat. Thanks.

Steve
Future C-22 owner
Sneaks

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 6 cylinder 4Runner is rated for 5,000 lbs, a V-8 is rated for 7,000 lbs. I tow the 22' Jenny B locally with no problem at all but choose to use the diesel beast for trips that take in long 6%+ grades. It shouldn't be a problem with the V-8 at all!

Don

Brat #483
"Jenny B" 2005 C-22/F75 sold, Oct. 2008
"C-Brat" 1993 C-16 angler/50 hp
M1911

City/Region: Framingham, MA
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
he other option is a Sequoia, but would rather go with the 4Runner if it can handle it.
If you check Toyota's web site, I think you'll find that the 4WD V8 4Runner has a tow rating of 7000 lbs while the Sequoia has a tow rating of only 6500 lbs. So if the 4Runner won't handle it, then the Sequoia won't either...

No, I don't have any experience towing with my 2003 4WD V8 4Runner.
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Durango 4WD with a 5.9-L (360 cu. in.) V-8 rated at over 7000 lbs. No problem towing encountered yet.

But the real challenge occurs when you have to stop in a emergency, not going up hill. You have to have good trailer brakes, particularly with a smaller tow vehicle.

Try it going down a 6% grade in snow and see you do for the ultimate test. Stopping pretty quick on the highway = OK. In the ditch, snowback, or down in the bottom of the river canyon = not so good! Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
cadenza

City/Region: Sarasota
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Cadenza
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: New 4Runner Reply with quote

Just wanted to thank everyone for their opinions and advice regarding using a 4Runner as a tow vehicle. We bought the V8 4Runner with AWD and towed the new CD22 with it for the first time this week. I didn't get to test it on any mountains here in Florida, but it towed the boat very easily at 65 mph on the interstate coming back from the Keys today. The rig handled well even with the big trucks on I-95 and a 20 mph headwind. Thanks again for the advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: