Waterball

City/Region: Seward, Alaska
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1981
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Waterball
Photos: Waterball
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an older 81 classic CD-22 with a 115hp suzuki for power. Just as a previous poster said it can take the boat faster than I run it. Under normal Alaskan sea conditions I rarely travel above 20 knots. But the motor doesn't have to work as hard to reach that speed. I have on a calm lake ran it up to 5500rpm, with the older classic haul, did 31knots on the gps and I didn't like the handling. I think with trim tabs it might have made a huge difference. On a calm day I run around 24-27knots, depending on load, at 4500rmp. Usually cruise at 4200 18-21knots.
Shaun

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The older CD hull was a little flatter? Is that Correct? When you say you did not like the handling at that speed, what were you experiencing? I'm picking up my CD22 today, and it too has a suzuki 115 with trim tabs. I will be breaking it in all weekend so will probably be able to open it up for a short period at some point. Can't wait to see how it handles. Smile

Sark
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No...no...no... Shocked

Don't answer this; it's a trick question and has no answer! Very Happy

www.marinautboats.com
Stanley-J

City/Region: Highland, NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Plan- B
Photos: Stanley-J
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on Les you must have some input on this subject
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: what determines engine size Reply with quote

May as well add some more to the subject. When the 130 Honda first came out, I wandered by a marina (unnamed) one day, and lo, in the their marina sat a new 22 cruiser with that very engine bolted on the stern. The bow of the boat seemed a wee bit raised. No wonder, for that monster weighed almost 500 pounds. I was invited to go on a short spin with that rig , and I accepted. It didn't take very long to feel somewhat uncomfortable about the way the boat felt. Now the good folks at this marina weren't advocating selling the cruiser with the 130. They just wanted to check it out. Way too much engine! But now the factory has increased the tankage from 36 gallons to 50 gallons - another potential
84 pounds. And many people want a kicker - another 75 lbs. And an additional battery, etc., etc. Suddenly, the weight could increase beyond 500 lbs. I have decided not to have a kicker and carry only as much gas as I really need to avoid that 130 Honda squat. Will be interested in getting Les's informed opinion.

Yellowstone

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand if it's a a weight issue and the drawbacks there , but the suzuki 115 weighs the same as the 90? So is it just the extra HP that people are wary of. Taking My new boat out today CoolSmile so will report on it soon.

Sark
Yellowstone

City/Region: White Sulphur Springs
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Farwest II
Photos: Farwest III
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: what determines engine size Reply with quote

Sark - many of us will be interested in how your 115 performs. Mine is ready to go, but the ice is still on the lakes in Montana in most places. Down off the pan handle of Florida, running a 22 ft cruiser with a 90 Honda recently tuned, on flat seas, three adults, full tanks, trim tabs, and too many accessories, running at WOT (nudging 6,000 rpm), the GPS recorded 31 mph several times. Now if I single handed the crusier, it was a different animal, but not much gain in speed. Trim tabs will definitely affect your boat in tight turns if you are really moving along - the drag can be felt. We all know there are many variables affecting speed - hull design, horse power, and weight probably the most important. Boating 600 hours plus on a 22' cruiser taught me that weight is often under-estimated. Having five adults aboard is just too much mass for the 22', as I found out from experience, particularly at altitude, perhaps even at sea level. The boat was sluggish. I'm going to venture the opinion that the extra 25 ponies will give you 4-5 more mph. I'll let you know how mine performs once the engine is broken in.

Yellowstone
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: