The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Hydraulic Steering Seized...won't budge!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Pat Anderson"]I have never lubed my hydraulic steering - what do I lube and where? Can't I assume this is something that C-Dory does when I bring it in every 100 hours? Would that be frequent enough?
[quote]

I'm going to reveal a trade secret...there are only two items necessary to fix everything...duct tape and lubricant.

If it moves and it isn't suppossed to use duct tape...if it doesn't move and it's suppossed to use lubricant.

The frozen tilt tube problem is not unique to Honda engines; I've had to pull just about one of every type of motor out there at one time or another for a repower and the problem is pretty universal. Stainless components in and of themselves won't necessarily solve the problem (although they sure wouldn't hurt) since many types of stainless (especially the alloys that are malleable enough to form tubes) rust. In every case where we've experienced frozen cables it's been the result of rust in the tilt tube and/or water wicking up the stainless inner core of the steering cable and "freezing" the core inside the outer sheath (usually happens right at the turn of the cable at the transom).

The zerk fittings on the tilt tubes of outboards lubricate the space between the inner tilt tube (the one the steering cable goes through) and the outer tube in the swivel housing (the component that tilts up and down and on which the engine pivots side-to-side) to keep the tilt and/or trim working and doesn't have anything to do with the steering cable inside the inner tilt tube. The solution is to pull the steering cable out the starboard side before winter layup and clean and lubricate the steering cable.

[I've had this post on my computer since first this morning...hope it makes sense after taking all day to hit the submit button! Shocked ]

www.marinautboats.com
Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
I have never lubed my hydraulic steering - what do I lube and where? Can't I assume this is something that C-Dory does when I bring it in every 100 hours? Would that be frequent enough?

I'm going to reveal a trade secret...there are only two items necessary to fix everything...duct tape and lubricant.

If it moves and it isn't suppossed to use duct tape...if it doesn't move and it's suppossed to use lubricant.

The frozen tilt tube problem is not unique to Honda engines; I've had to pull just about one of every type of motor out there at one time or another for a repower and the problem is pretty universal. Stainless components in and of themselves won't necessarily solve the problem (although they sure wouldn't hurt) since many types of stainless (especially the alloys that are malleable enough to form tubes) rust. In every case where we've experienced frozen cables it's been the result of rust in the tilt tube and/or water wicking up the stainless inner core of the steering cable and "freezing" the core inside the outer sheath (usually happens right at the turn of the cable at the transom).

The zerk fittings on the tilt tubes of outboards lubricate the space between the inner tilt tube (the one the steering cable goes through) and the outer tube in the swivel housing (the component that tilts up and down and on which the engine pivots side-to-side) to keep the tilt and/or trim working and doesn't have anything to do with the steering cable inside the inner tilt tube. The solution is to pull the steering cable out the starboard side before winter layup and clean and lubricate the steering cable.

[I've had this post on my computer since first thing this morning...hope it makes sense after taking all day to hit the submit button! Shocked ]
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Les! We've got both in the kit for the boat...just gotta use 'em!
oldgrowth

City/Region: Rochester
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Voyager
Photos: C-Voyager
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CatyMae n Steve - if you are using a MS Windows based computer read the following for help in pasting a photo in your post.

The problem is you are trying to use a web-page address as a photo.
This is the address of the web page your photo is on.

Code:
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=CatyMae&id=P3200039&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

This is the address of your photo
Code:
http://www.c-brats.com/albums/CatyMae/P3200039.sized.jpg

To get the address of your photo, make sure you have the page open with the photo on it.
Then click on the photo with your right mouse button.
A menu will pop-up looking like this

Click on Properties and another window will pop-up looking like this

Move the mouse cursor just to the left side of the h in http//
Click on it and hold the button down then drag it to the end of the address. Again in this case to the right side of the p in .jpg
The whole address should be highlighted. Now click on the address with your right mouse button.
Another menu will pop-up, now click on copy.
Now right click in your message where you want the image, then click on Paste
Now highlight the address you just pasted and click on the Img button as shown below.

To see if everything is how you want it, you can click on Preview to view your Post before submitting it.

Last edited by oldgrowth on Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Luna C

City/Region: Lake Goodwin/Center Island
C-Dory Year: 2019
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Panthera
Photos: Luna C
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to have Les posting his trade secrets again! I would add zip ties to to go with the lube & duct tape....
CatyMae n Steve

City/Region: Jefferson, OR
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: CatyMae
Photos: CatyMae
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: