The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Radar - Shortening Cable

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wanderer

City/Region: Annapolis, MD; The Villages, FL
State or Province: MD
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Wanderer
Photos: Wanderer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Radar - Shortening Cable Reply with quote

The cable that came with my Raymarine radar is 15m long. I have installed the radar using it. There is about 40 feet of cable that is not needed.

Has anyone shortened this cable? If so, tips? Problems?

The installation manual suggest how to shorten the cable; but, it is silent on whether other electronic adjustments need to be made for the shorter cable.

Come travel with us: http://2Wander.com
Sneaks

City/Region: San Diego (Encinitas)
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Brat
Photos: Jenny B and C-Brat
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George:

I shortened mine to 13 ft. then checked it out per the RayMarine manual and found that no adjustment was necessary.

There is a connector kit sold by RayMarine that includes the little flat connector plus pins, which makes life a lot easier during the shortening process. It's way spendy in relation to what you get, but if you call tech support maybe the techie will take pity and get one for you free. (worked for me).

A tool is available which will safely remove the pins from the old connector if you really want to use them but I didn't bother.

The alternative is to haul the cable down to most any good marine electronics repair facility and have them shorten it. (Usually 1 hour labor plus parts).

I'm told it can be shortened to as little as 10 ft. but 13 was perfect for my C-22, giving me maybe a foot extra for a safety factor.

Slipping the connector (sideways) through the radome seal is a little more difficult without that shrink tubing that covers the stock connector but if you wrap a layer of electrical tape around the assembly with the connector sideways then lay on a glob of KY Jelly on the tape, it'll slip through just fine. (The only OTHER use for KY Jelly I've ever run across, btw)

Don

Last edited by Sneaks on Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Chris

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Rana Verde
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George...much easier to just use the Raymarine 5 meter cable. Depending on where you bought your RADAR...you may be able to return the 15 meter cable in exchange for the 5 meter.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just looped the extra back and forth a few times and zip tied it really tight. Its all under the gunnal behind the table. You cant see it at all. cost was four zip ties
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: