View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:55 pm    Post subject: Best Material for C-Dory Cover Reply with quote

We have a 2004 22' C-Dory Cruiser that is in very good shape and has always been stored indoors, but things are changing and we have decided to get a boat cover for it so we can store it outside next winter.

I talked to Angola Canvas and asked them about Sunbrella and they mentioned that it might not be the best material for our situation. We are in Western Washington, so lots of rain. Sunbrella is water resistant but not water proof and has to be treated to make it keep shedding water. There is another material called Aqualon that is water proof but does not breath. One of the problems we have is fir tree pollen that is like nuclear fall out in the spring around here, so I need a material that might be able to be cleaned up a little before taking it off, and again they thought the Aqualon might be better for this. Also, the Aqualon is cheaper, although that would not be my reason for choosing it. We are just wanting to have the material best suited for the job.
We would like to hear from any C-Brats that have used the Aqualon or Sunbrella and how it worked for them.

Thanks

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best Material for C-Dory Cover Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
We have a 2004 22' C-Dory Cruiser that is in very good shape and has always been stored indoors, but things are changing and we have decided to get a boat cover for it so we can store it outside next winter.

I talked to Angola Canvas and asked them about Sunbrella and they mentioned that it might not be the best material for our situation. We are in Western Washington, so lots of rain. Sunbrella is water resistant but not water proof and has to be treated to make it keep shedding water. There is another material called Aqualon that is water proof but does not breath. One of the problems we have is fir tree pollen that is like nuclear fall out in the spring around here, so I need a material that might be able to be cleaned up a little before taking it off, and again they thought the Aqualon might be better for this. Also, the Aqualon is cheaper, although that would not be my reason for choosing it. We are just wanting to have the material best suited for the job.
We would like to hear from any C-Brats that have used the Aqualon or Sunbrella and how it worked for them.

Thanks

I store my boat outside year round with a Sunbrella cover from Angola Canvas. It works fine. It does need to be treated from time to time with fabric protectant. The Sunbrella cover will get dirty and can grow some mildew on the inside surface. This seems to occur mostly over large air spaces (e.g. over the cockpit). I find that there can also be some mildew growth on the boat surfaces under the cover (where there are larger air gaps). I think some moisture accumulates in these places and the cover provides a nice warm and dark area that fosters this growth. The mildew spots on the boat washes off pretty easily. Waxing the boat also probably helps with the cleaning part.

My cover is Forest Green, if I had to do it again, I'd go with a much lighter color. Interior heat in the summer get get quite high in the cabin when the cover is on. This probably discourages critters though.

My Sunbrella cover is 8 years old now and is still in good shape.

The stock Angola C-Dory cover only comes down to the rub rail. I had mine extended 3' on each side. It now covers the sides of the hull down to the trailer fenders. Angola Canvas was easy to work with when requesting mods to the stock pattern.

I did add a number of additional grommets to the cover hem to provide for more tie downs. The cover is not meant for use while trailering.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned several Angola covers in Sunbella--and I agree the extra 5 to 6 inches on each side is good.

I take--took--the covers off once a year (All, slant back, Bimini and full boat cover. I wash them with the 303 fabric cleaner and then treat with 303 fabric guard. (Cheaper to buy by the gallon I do believe that the breathability of the Sunbrella is important). Never had any real leaks with the Sunbrella. I have been using Sunbrella over 50 years--a lot of the covers I made myself, especially earlier. It pays to have a thread like Tenera--Gortex, lasts at least 12 years--if not probably have to have it re=stitched.

I have used a product like Aqualon or Aqualon on my Caracal boat cover. It is 15 years old, and still doing well, except needs some seam repairs. This has been in Florida: mostly Pensacola, but also 3 months a year for 7 years in Marathon (Keys)--more intense sun.

In is definitely waterproof--but it has mildewed--just stains, since I wash it yearly.

I like the Sunbrella--and a friend gave me a full cover for the Caracal out of a slightly lighter material. It will outlast me. One feature I will be making in changes to the cover is to have one large "intake vent--around the motor, and two 3" exit vents. I want some air circulation, and we are talking about putting in computer fans, and having a solar charger. (I just had about $16,000 worth of work on a boat which is 17 years old--probably what the boat is worth--but there is no better single engine cat, and I love the boat....Lots of new features, including autopilot, new RayMarine RealVision/Axiom....new nonskid and 2 part Awlgrip paint....Plus total rewire, and some engine work..

I got a harbor Freight 10 by 20 frame/cover for about $100 (on Sale) and you can always put a silver blue/brown etc tarp over it when the trap which comes with it--that will keep the pollen off the boat. With either of the fabrics, I feel that the sap/pollen will be an issue..

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
mstrpo

City/Region: Battle Ground
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had the Aqualon on my TomCat since last fall. I had them add a few vents near the top of the cockpit slant back. We've had a few sunny days and it does get pretty warm under the cover! I like the waterproof material which does stretch just enough for a good, snug fit. I also had the sides dropped. So far so good!
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might consider making a cover from a used billboard tarp. I got one to cover my trailer while I'm working on the boat. It’s heavy material and works great for rain, snow, and nuclear pollen fallout. Mine has been on my trailer for two years and is holding up well. You can search online for suppliers, but I got my McDonald's (you don't get to choose the graphics) billboard tarp from:
https://www.billboardvinyls.com/collections/all-reused-tarps?sort_by=in-stock

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had several custom covers made by Lohaus Covers in Cottage Grove, WI. I'd have to double check with him, but I'm pretty sure the material he has used on my last two covers is Topgun marine canvas. It's held up well, and is water resistant. I keep it on C-Traveler during the winter here in Wisconsin, which is stored outside. I have four vents in the material, and have not had any condensation or other moisture issues between the cover and the boat. It does stay dry inside it. On prior covers he told me it was the same material used for covers on Semi Trailers. I'm not sure if that was Topgun or some other material. (I've had three full covers made by him, over the years.) He's also done my Bimini's, and those are Sunbrella. Colby
P.s., you can see my newest cover here in my album: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3508&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input guys.
I am leaning towards the Aqualon with plenty of vents. I am sure it will get mildew growth on the outside, as everything does around here if left outside. Since it is water proof I should be able to spray it down with Jomax occasionally to keep it reasonably clean. I do have a building I can keep the boat in at times. The space will be shared with a camper van that will be more susceptible to damage during winter than the boat would be if it were covered, so the idea is to have the van winter in the building and the boat under the cover. in the boating/fishing/RV season the boat and van will be jockeyed back and forth in the building. Thats the plan anyways.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: