View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artfull Dodger

City/Region: Pender Island
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Artfull Dodger
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t post often, if ever. But Dr Bob has been a go to on all information (detailed info I might add) I need to make me happy on my 22.
Thanks Dr Bob.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob and Marie,

Allow Diana and me to also say thanks for the years of friendship, mentoring, and boating with you two wonderful people. It’s been fun and educational! We send our sincere hopes that you get those additional years to boat as much as you please.

Kindest Regards,

Diana and Steve

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Sorry to be late to the party, but better late than never.

I did have to read that op first line twice before I continued breathing.
I want to say Thankyou to Bob for his input here, sharing and teaching. It has been worth every key stroke, to many. So Thank you, and all the best on down the road.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

RobLL

City/Region: Bremerton
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking of you and all of the people of Florida, especially in the eastern coastal areas. As always information from you about how you and neighbors intend to stay safe would be interesting.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safe? Can only take precautions as best we can. Every window, door and the screen porch is covered and hardened. Anything out doors that can be moved inside is. All the pool furniture is in the pool, underwater. 160 gallons of fuel, 2 generators, 100 gallons of potable water, 2 bags of charcoal and grill, 4 cases of beer. Enough food for us and some of our neighbors and MRE's, enough for 3 months. Boats are in the barn built after hurricane Charley to the upgraded requirements.

We expect sub 100 mph winds, though the bands can produce tornadoes. My number 1 concern is flooding. During Irma, as Charlotte Harbor was being emptied, Alligator Creek which we live on, was overflowing it's banks. It was all fresh water draining off the land. We had 7" two days before the storm and 6" the day off. Only so much water can flow through the RR bridge between us and the Harbor.

Back to accolades for Bob and Marie, an awesome couple. Need advice on hurricane preparedness, just ask Bob! Actually, you can ask him about anything and I'm sure he has some sage advice. Let's remember though that behind every great man is a steadfast woman. I've no doubt Dr. Bob wouldn't be the man he is without an outstanding partner such as Marie!!

James

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Thanks you for all of the kind words. I am still kicking, and hope that recent stents will give me another 5 or so years.

I have been so blessed, in boating, where I had advice and mentoring from some fantastic individuals, including my very strict father. (Who had enough confidence in his teaching to allow me at age 14 to skipper his 26' sail boat in ocean races, with his adult crew, when he had to travel.).

Later in life I had the skills to undertake two 40,000 mile voyages in motor sailers. Those skills came from those I had sailed with early in life. I knew the founders of Seven Seas Cruising Association, and several early recreational voyagers, including Harry Pigeon, who was the second man to solo circumnavigate.

I also have to thank both Boy and Girl Scouting. My mother kept on me to get that final "Bird Watching" merit badge for Eagle Scout (and give me a passion for that subject later in life), but for also starting me on a path of teaching to younger scouts, and also to Girl Scouts. I was maintenance man at a Girl Scout camp for 5 summers. I had a chance to teach water safety, rowing, sailing, kayaking and canoeing, as well as acting as their transport driver and life guard when at lakes away from Camp. Even as I went about my daily chores there were opportunities to teach the campers.

In Medicine I had wonderful opportunities to teach, first in my residency training and then as an assistant Prof. at UCLA Med School. The Draft and my decision not to pursue a career in research brought me to clinical private practice, with one day a week dedicated to teaching as a clinical professor at UCLA affiliated Hospitals. My last job was for Cal State Long Beach, as "Director of Athletic Medicine"--and involved setting up a fellowship for family practice residents as well as teaching in the undergraduate athletic training program. I probably spent as much time counseling students as I did practicing medicine, but that is very important, especially for athletes, who often don't see beyond the next competition.

After retirement and the advent of the internet, I was blessed to spend a few years both giving lectures on our travels, and Medicine at Sea, as well as Anchoring, Storm tactics, etc at West Marine Trawler Fests.

I saw my first C Dory in 1982, and was so impressed, that I said I would buy one of those when I got too old to sail. That started me on the path of C Dory ownership in the 2003 era.

I need to thank all of you. I learn from every post I read here. We have a number of very skilled and accomplished boaters. We also have a wonderful extended family. Being part of that family is a major reward in itself. If you are a C Dory owner and don't take part in the gatherings, you miss out on a lot of what C Dory's are about.

A special thanks to TyBoo and Da Nag For hosting this internet forum and making it one of the best in all of boating related forums. Please donate to the site and help fund keeping this forum running smoothly.

Thank you!

Thanks Dr. Bob!! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes; especially to James and his comments about my life partner, Marie. She has has been involved in over 50% of all that we have done and will do in the future. Cruising full time in small boats either the closeness of partners deepen, or unfortunately the partnership deteriorates. All too often the boat is left for sale in a down wind place. Marie was right there every day when we were boat building, or restoring. She became a good carpenter, and fiberglass laminator. Her planning of food for 6 months ahead was awesome. Upon returning to "society" after our 4 year cruise, we had to put on shoes, I had to start wearing a tie again, and we were not able to send every day, all day and night, with our partner.

James is at a risk for Hurricane Ian. Marie and I were talking about James and Betty potentially being in the direct path of the storm. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who live along the path of Ian.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flagold

City/Region: Abbeville
State or Province: AL
Vessel Name: C-Dawg-E
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also grateful for you staying on the forum. The difference between you and many we meet in life is you have "walked the talk." Much respect for that.

Connie and I also pray everyone in the path of hurricane danger remains safe.

Happy voyaging!

Matt & Connie Mattson
C-Dawg-E (sold)
Mischief "Final Voyage Of The Mischief" (sold)
Now yachting aboard "Bye Pass" - 13' BW Dauntless

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good wishes; especially to James and his comments about my life partner, Marie. She has has been involved in over 50% of all that we have done and will do in the future. Cruising full time in small boats either the closeness of partners deepen, or unfortunately the partnership deteriorates. All too often the boat is left for sale in a down wind place. Marie was right there every day when we were boat building, or restoring. She became a good carpenter, and fiberglass laminator. Her planning of food for 6 months ahead was awesome. Upon returning to "society" after our 4 year cruise, we had to put on shoes, I had to start wearing a tie again, and we were not able to send every day, all day and night, with our partner.

James is at a risk for Hurricane Ian. Marie and I were talking about James and Betty potentially being in the direct path of the storm. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who live along the path of Ian.
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:01 pm    Post subject: Awesomw Job Dr Bob Reply with quote

I know your advise and friendship to me has been wonderful!
Thank you again Bob

doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:15 am    Post subject: Thataway Reply with quote

I probably owe my life to Bob and Marie. I swear, before I do something stupid in my Alaska waters, I ask myself, what would Bob and Marie do? I got to meet them in Juneau a number of years ago, probably their last trip up here, when they came up to Juneau on their CD25, Thataway. I have lots of lessons learned and a lifetime of friendship and readily available and invaluable advice for the asking. Hard to beat that, in a world where true and honest relationships seem hard to come by.
flatfishfool

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: Herringbone
PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2024 9:42 pm    Post subject: Thataway Reply with quote

Dr Bob is the C-Brat. A legend and a great human. Thank you Bob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: