View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:54 pm    Post subject: horns and hailers Reply with quote

My only experience with a boat horn is with one of those little handheld air horns which we carried in our 16' Skagit and never used. Now I'm in the process of restoring a 22' C-Dory and am trying to decide if I want a fog/hailer speaker or horn or both. I've purchased an ICOM IC-510BB VHF that has a hailer/fog horn feature that requires an external "hailer horn speaker", and is operated from the microphone. My understanding is that this allows you to talk over the speaker or send a fog horn sound over the speaker. The ICOM speaker is 40 watts. I know I can also buy a separate trumpet style air horn that would be operated by a button at the helm. Would love to hear folks' thoughts on the benfits of one over the other or both. I'll be operating in the PNW where fog is common. Thank you!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of hailers have a fog horn function that will sound the horn at regular intervals automatically vs. you having to keep time and manually sound it.
B~C

City/Region: Bend
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a hailer would be handy, especially on the Columbia. Better to have it and not use it than to need it and not have it.
I always dreamed of having a horn life a freighter...damn you could have some fun with the hog lines on a foggy day Smile

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a fog horn/hailer when I upgraded my VHF to a Standard Horizon. I have used it both as a fog horn up in the Broughtons when I could hardly see the bow of the boat in the fog and it gave me some added piece of mind. It still was a scary situation and the combo of fog horn, chart plotter and radar made it less stressful. I have also used the hailer a few times when I needed some help docking and when there was a bunch of tourists hanging their legs over the dock exactly where I needed to dock. This allowed me to dock and saved the health care system the cost of multiple leg amputations. Laughing

I would also install a horn of some type, your marine store should have a selection of these.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of my boats had a Standard Horizon VHF/Loud hailer/fog horn. Certainly a fair number of features for the money. But they are not heard for much of a distance. The automatic timing is nice and almost important.

On the other hand, an air horn can have a solenoid programed to give the proper signals.

The air horns I had on my large cruising sailboat boat were about as loud as a train air horn. We would see people coming out of the cabins on some of the main Islands to see what type of giant vessel had that loud horn. Those horns were either mounted on the mizen mast or the aft Radar Arch which was 9 feet off the deck.

The horn is to be heard--I had one on one of my C Dorys! Take your earl plugs.

Bob

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

Most of the hailers also feature a listening ability when the hailer isn't in use. Some of the fog horn programs also have this feature. After your horn blasts, it goes into listening mode. A nice feature in the fog, but beware that a diving bird running on the surface during takeoff sounds much like a boat approaching in the fog.

The other great thing about the listening feature is for fishing. Fishermen would never tell their lures/depths over the radio, but you can sometimes eavesdrop from 200 yards away. Good fun.

The last couple of hailer/horns that I've bought haven't been brand name (Standard Horizon, etc.). The brand X and unbranded versions seem to be the same thing at less than half the price. 8 ohm or 4 ohm might make a difference for your radio
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But they are not heard for much of a distance

I have the Standard Horizon horn/hailer and agree with Bob here. I could have sworn when I had it on my 22, it was fairly loud while doing the fog horn in fog. Same horn on my 25, I'm not so sure. Maybe my hearing has just gotten worse. But I would prefer a much louder fog horn! Colby
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used the Standard Horizon hailer/PA horn with my standard horizon radios. The only issue I've had is that this is that they don't seem to have much longevity. E.g. I need to replace the horn every 2-4 years. Does anyone (Bob??) have recommendations for one that will last longer? Ditto for the typical trumpet style boat horn. Any brands that last longer than others?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the loud speaker/hailer, I have used the Horizon and Speco hailer horns, but the longevity is not sterling--as Roger finds.

The answer to the horn is of course Kahlenberg, if you want to depart with about $500 for the least expensive and a small compressor/tank.

The Sea Dog is fairly comparable to the one I used on one boat--and I don't remember the brand. That featured the compressor directly to the horn. Not quite as fast response as the tank and compressor, but adequate, and got away from the need for a tank on a sailboat. In the larger power boats I used a 5 gallon air tank and larger compressor, with horns like the Kahlenberg.

I have used "Hadley" on my RV's but those are close to the same price range of Kahlenberg.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Likewise, I got tired of replacing the dual horns every 1-2 years. It seemed that the “marine” horns were worse for longevity. You never hear of a car horn going out, so I ordered Hyundai dual horns, they’ve been on there 3-4 yrs now, so far I’m quite pleased.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
pcg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all! Based on everyone's suggestions I ordered the ICOM 40W hailer/speaker ($67 on Amazon) so I can have the ability to hail should I feel the need, and hopefully the fog horn feature from the ICOM VHF wil be adequate when played though the speaker.

I also want to be able to quickly hit a horn button from the helm without having to go through a menu on the VHF radio so I ordered two 130dB horns (one low tone and one high tone) from Amazon for $23 for both. I've used these on motorcycles and they are very loud - much louder than a car horn. I've never had them fail and the longest I've owned a motorcycle with them on was 10 years. I do baby my motorcycles and they live indoors, but so will my boat.

And... if the ICOM hailer fog horn is not sufficiently loud, I may build a little circuit to make a horn button into a fog horn with repeating patterns, if someone hasn't already done it by then. I can't believe someone hasn't done it already, since the Fogmate is no longer available. I found the Signal Mate, but it's way to complex and expensive for what I need.
pcg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pcg wrote:
I ordered two 130dB horns (one low tone and one high tone) from Amazon for $23 for both.
They're the FIAMM 72112 Freeway Blaster LOW Note Horn and the FIAMM 72102 Freeway Blaster HIGH Note Horn. You'll need to add a relay of course. Yes, they're plastic, but I'll mount them under the brow to shield from UV. My experience with these has been very favorable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000DINKPQ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: