The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

03/05 - 03/07 - Hontoon Island Gathering St. John’s River
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ken35216

City/Region: Destin, Florida
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lady Onyx
Photos: ken35216
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not make it this year as March is our busy month at work.

I do have a couple of weeks in April and I never done the St John's river. Where would be a good place to put in and where would be a good place to pull out for a two week cruise?

Thanks and I hope very one is have a blast!

2017 25 Cruiser 200 Yamaha (2017-present)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always launched at Ed Stone County park and launching ramp. It is just South of Hwy 44 after your cross the St. Johns River. As I understand, you have to go over the new high bridge and then double back at ground level. The ramps are good. Park as close to Hwy 44 as you can on the grass. A Sheriff Deputy comes by the park every few hours. One of our members left his truck keys sitting on the front seat for a few days, with the truck unlocked. Some have left the trailer and truck for almost. month.

I personally feel the best of the St Johns is to the South (up river) and around the Hontoon area north for many 40 miles. There are lots of side channels to explore. Many have "fish camps" where there is a small restaurant and dock. Some channels depend on a certain height of water in the River.

If you want an adventure, go up the "Econ" River--it is hard to find the mouth due to sand bars and vegetation. We have gone up to the outskirts of Orlando. Get the local charts--there are 3: North, South and middle.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering how this year's gathering went. Anyone willing to post? We missed being there, but had other family obligations to take care of. Looking forward to a recap. This has been my favorite gathering over the years. Colby
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby,

Another great Gathering at the Hontoon Hoot!

Tom and Joyce took Lake Effect on a post meet 10 day cruise downriver…likely out of cell coverage, but I think he said 15 boats attended, despite having to anchor out or marina every night since the Ranger residence has not yet been replaced. They graciously sponsored a Belgian Waffle, eggs and bacon Brunch Wed with Pizza lunch Thurs which raised money for the park. We had great weather and no bugs, highs under 80 and lows a pleasant 62 or so with low humidity.

We’d been at Perry Resort and Marina in Key West since Jan 24, and six weeks is about our personal limit on the boat, so we didn’t take the post-Hoot Cruise.

We cruised the Dead River Loop with Lake Effect and Raven’s Roost, pics below.

Hope you and Rosanne can attend next year and enjoy much cruising in the interim!

Tom invited us to dock next to C-Otter, with only moderate damage.

Safe Travels!

John

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks John. I'm envious. Yes, I plan Hontoon to be on my schedule next year. After last summer's travels, my calendar for this summer is pretty light right now. The only thing definite is a cruise on the N. Carolina Loop in May, and Upper half of the Tennessee River in October. Nothing definite in between, but I will be out on C-Traveler. Just maybe a little closer to home. Colby
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crew of the C-Otter pulled out of Ed Stone Park after about 2 weeks on the St. John’s river after a wonderful C-Dory gathering. Thanks to all that attended for your generosity to the Hontoon Island State Park. We raised $771 to help with the purchase of a 6 passenger UTV to transport campers and their gear. We will post the receipt from the CSO organization that helps fund projects like this when we receive it.
I guess I say it every year but this was one of the best gatherings ever. We just about “owned” the park. The ferry made a few special trips across the river for us and allowed us to stay at the dock if there was bad weather. With 15 boats it was easy to spend time with everyone. C-Brats are a fantastic group! We had everyone volunteer at one job or another. 100%.
We did miss some of our friends that were not able to make it for various good reasons. Better health next year and see you then.
The dates for next year are March 4th to the 6th 2025. Of course you may arrive early and stay later. Many cruise the St. John’s before or after the gathering.
I will post some photos from the gathering over the next couple days.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: