Enclosing Anchor Locker in 22 Cruiser

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AkDory22

City/Region: Girdwood
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: No Name
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:40 am    Post subject: Enclosing Anchor Locker in 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Has anyone glassed in or enclosed the forward anchor locker in a 22 Cruiser? I saw post in the search function of lockers enclosed at the factory on newer models but none seen on a retrofit.

Looking to add a Lewmar 700 but I would want the locker enclosed first. I do have a drain in the locker in our 05' 22. I want to keep as much moisture out of cabin and berth as possible.

I would think someone has glassed in a locker enclosure with a hatch access or built walls somehow??

drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cut out a piece of Sunbrella material and and fastened it with snaps to seal ours off. While not completely air tight it made a big difference. When needed I can unsnap it to deal with any foul ups with the rode. Much simpler than glassing in a hatch.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will start with assuming that your cruising ground is similar to mine ands we both anchor at comparable depth. Also enclosing the anchor locker is a project that I have been thinking about and would like to do soon mostly to keep smell to a minimum for the few time that the rode pick up algae. I did add a lewmar V700 and find that I need to shake the pile once or twice especially when anchoring in deeper water so having an easy access would be important, there is also a small chance of having to undo a tangle but that has not happen to me yet.

I have considered using one of the hatch that I replace from the lazarette or, what I would most likely do when I get to it is just using a waterproof fabric (like sunbrella) and snap to seal the area.

I know I'm not much help since I'm just throwing ideas out there but hopefully we'll heard from someone that actually did it and see how it turn out for them.

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
I cut out a piece of Sunbrella material and and fastened it with snaps to seal ours off. While not completely air tight it made a big difference. When needed I can unsnap it to deal with any foul ups with the rode. Much simpler than glassing in a hatch.

look like drbridge beat me to it.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a piece of 1/4" PVC sheet to close the anchor locker off in my 22. It is held in place with screws to allow for maintenance access. You can see it in the background of this photo.

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing this is something that has been on our list for a while. Judy is taking on the project before this boating season. We are going to use a thick piece of clear vinyl fabric and snap it on. It should be easy to remove, somewhat visible to see through if there is a problem and help to keep the moisture and smell out. We also had a problem with sea water coming in here and wetting the bedding while we were crossing through very large waves on one occasion. We have also had a problem with mosquitos fining there way into the boat and the opening for the rode is one access point. This winter we had a squirrel find its way into the boat via the opening for the rode and he decided to chew on a couple of the pillows. We have hopefully solved this using a copper dishwashing scrubber that now fills this hole during storage.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
... This winter we had a squirrel find its way into the boat via the opening for the rode and he decided to chew on a couple of the pillows. We have hopefully solved this using a copper dishwashing scrubber that now fills this hole during storage.

I had this problem with mice. Putting copper wool and then taping up the openings seems to have solved the problem. One thing the think about is that some "copper" scrubbers are just copper plated plastic which is not as an effective a deterrent as proper copper or bronze wool. Steel wool also works as a deterrent but it does not last in damp environments.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in the process of enclosing my anchor locker with a hatch. See my album entitled Anchor Locker for the only photo I have so far. My boat work is on hold for another month while I tend to other projects, but the photo should give you a general idea of what I'm doing. I cut a frame out of 1/8" plywood to hold a Tempress 13x23 cam hatch. I covered both sides with a layer of 1708 fiberglass embedded in epoxy resin and then epoxied the frame to the hull. The green stuff is fairing compund. It will all look better when painted and the hatch is installed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: