The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The OFFICIAL TomCat Permatrim BEFORE AND AFTER thread!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Starbucks

City/Region: Tacoma
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Photos: Captain Starbucks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: The OFFICIAL TomCat Permatrim BEFORE AND AFTER thread!! Reply with quote

I wanted to lower my planing speed as much as possible. I operate almost entirely in the ocean in the PNW and conditions aren't always favorable for using the TomCat's legs. I knew at the end of last year, I was either going for new stern lifting props, or Permatrims, or both. After several conversations with Ken at PropGods, he talked me into trying the Permatrims first, and I'm sure glad I did.

Anyways, last fall prior to storing for winter maintenance, I thought I'd get some baseline data. To be perfectly clear, the conditions before and after weren't identical but I'll try to line out the differences as much as possible (noted in the image below).

I'm a bit suspect of the GPH figure on the With Permatrim side at the 4,000 rpm point. I'll have to double check that next time I'm out.

A few things of note: The boat was 300 lbs or maybe more lighter on the With Permatrim side. Also, the water had a slight ripple on it on the With Permatrim side. Ripple has a great drag reduction factor, ask any floatplane pilot.

1996 20' Wooldridge Xtra Plus - Sold 2012
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you and interesting take. I had a 2006, TC 255, with the Suzuki 150s. Stern lifting props (4blade), SS. I also added the Permatrims to attempt lower the planing speed, and cruising speed in semi displacement mode. I don't remember doing as an exhaustive analysis on the RPM/Speed, fuel consumption. (My impression was that the fuel gauge/flow meters were not that consistent--I was pulling data off the turbine type of gasoline flow meters, not the engine computers.

My impression was that the Permatrims threw a bunch of water up, on the sides/at speeds in the 9 to 10 knot range, Almost to the point I considered it possibly dangerous.

I also got lower high end speed, and decreased fuel use at the higher speeds. What makes your fuel/speed somewhat "suspect" (not being disrespectful, but wondering if other factors were in play????). Because most folks who use Permatrims find that the higher end they have a slightly increased drag and slightly raise the fuel consumption--many have found that they cannot achieve the same high end speed at WOT. (My WOT were at 6,000 RPM and very close to what yours are at 5700 RPM, which is exactly where you want to be with the Suzuki (Different gearing and using considerably greater pitch props--my recollection was I was running 21" pitch props. I had two sets one at 19 the other at 21. I rarely got over 2 mpg. An exception was where I ran almost 200 miles at a constant speed "Best efficiency" run. I am sure my boat was heavier than yours, with extra batteries, Honda Generator, full fuel tanks, full water tanks, etc.

So I am interested in if you sustain these numbers over longer distances, and longer periods of time, running two ways over the same course--distance, etc. I understand that GPS will give us numbers without having to use a measured mile--but GPS gives us speed by position and can be different that speed thru the water. This is why I like to use a measured mile, both ways. to get my most accurate mile.

I don't know if you were using the engine computer for "mileage" or an external Lawrence, like I was using. How did you determine you had 18 or 17 gallons of fuel in each tank? That is just to "pat" a number.i??

There are just so many variables.

Again, Thanks

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ditched my permatrims on my tomcat. I don't notice much of a difference. I'd be interested in adding a foil wing between the hulls aft to create lift....if there was such a thing off the shelf.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: