The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Cdory 22 and 25; issues to look for when buying

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wallin

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:53 pm    Post subject: Cdory 22 and 25; issues to look for when buying Reply with quote

Greetings. I'm shopping for a C-dory, probably a 25 but maybe a 22. I'm in the PNW. Could someone tell me what issues/potential problems that I should look out for with these boats. I saw a recent posting of one on the east coast and the seller made a point of saying that the deck in the cockpit had been redone by a fiberglass shop. Is this a common problem?

Other things I should be looking at?

Thanks for your help!

Dave

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2024 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings. Welcome aboard C-Brats. Please give us your level of boating experience, and if you are willing to tackle issues or have the coin to have professionals (at $150 and hour) to repair issues.

I always recommend good marine survey before buying a C Dory. It should be someone who is experienced with cored laminates on boats. Moisture meter is of some value, so is ultra sound and IR photography to find the majority of possible issues with these boats. A lot can be discovered with a phenolic hammer or even a screw driver handle, tapping and sounding out the laminates.

It would take a book to explain all of the issues--and I refer you to the Yacht Survey site of David Pasceo, who has unfortunately passed on. David Pascoe's book.. Click on the box : "cores and Structural issues" there a few articles which are must read to understand the C Dory construction...and I don't fully agree with Pascoe, but it is the most comprehensive place to start. Then read all of his other articles. You can then buy the books--but the articles do have the basis for an informed boat buyer and owner.

If you want to see issues on a 25, please see my photo album, starting on page 5 and 101 of 637 images. This shows my experience buying a 2003 C Dory 25 for $30,000 with known issues, with the cockpit deck actually with a hole in it. It had been left out in the snow in New Jersey for at least 3 winters, with no cover. Snow, rain, freeze and thaw cycles, caused extensive core damage starting around the hatches and then a hefty crew member jumped into the cockpit.

To be quick and dirty check around all of the hatches and any core penetration on the boat, this includes the fore deck around windlass, deck pipe, forward opening hatch, the cockpit deck, the hull under the fuel tank, the interior where "L" brackets hold the wooden furniture down to the hull. This are the most common places to find areas.

My last 25 was one of the most desirable 25's listed. It had already been modified and improved by several very knowledgeable owners, and I made a number of improvements. I sold that boat in 2 hours from the time of posting. But even then that boat had some issues I fixed also.

To reiterate every problem I have seen in a 22 or 25 is way beyond the scope of any post. But the above pretty well sums it.

A C Dory 25 which was listed today (Jan 20th 2023) is one of those rare boats which was owned by one owner since new, and was well cared for from what I understand. I still would check various places for wet core, but it would not stop me from buying that boat today even with some minor issues--If they are even present.

A boat kept well by a good owner, where it rarely or never freezes and the boat is kept under cover with desirable upgrades is always a most desirable boat.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
wallin

City/Region: Bellingham
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
Thanks very much for your detailed reply.
Over the past 20 years, I’ve owned 4 boats here in the PNW, 2 sailboats (Catalina 27 and Catalina 36) and two powerboats (26 Tollycraft and a Grand Banks 36). I’m looking to downsize and the C-dory is on my list of interesting boats. I certainly recognize the value of surveys.

I’ll certainly follow up on your suggestions.

Can anyone recommend a surveyor in Washington state who knows C-dorys?

And can you point me to the Jan 20 listing of a 25’ C dory? Is it in the PNW? I’m new to this site and not sure where to find boat listings.

Thanks!
Dave
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,
So you are not new to this rodeo. Great! Many--maybe the majority of the C Brats are ex sailboat owners. For me a boat is a "tool" to do a certain job/jobs. The C Dory met that criteria better than any other boat for 20 years.

The. "Boats for Sale" are on the Home page, in the right lower quadrant. I just checked it, and there are several boats which have sold since the moderators updated the list.

My own feeling about surveyors is that a NAMS accredited generally is preferable to a SAMS "certification"...I like to see ABYC technical fields certification also. I do my own surveys, and only had one professional one done. It was after I had sold my Cal 46 (4 trips Sequim to Alaska, then down the coast to Panama and my 3rd Panama Canal transit to Pensacola.). I had sailed out of Long Beach, CA most of my life until 1993. The one survey I had was for a 41 foot "sundeck motor yacht" ("trawler"). and the surveyor must have been on the payroll of the broker and or seller. Everything I questioned, he had a pat answer for...Truth came out after I bought the boat. The boat had been on the rocks in New Jersey, dropped by the salvage crane, and a total right off... I filed a complaint with SAMS, and the insurance we give our surveyors is to protect them from law suits. This "surveyor" eventually was president of SAMS!! By that time I had documented multiple defects not commented on by the surveyor, including conclusive findings showing that the Starboard strut had been driven up thru the hull and not properly repaired...I fixed where necessary, including a new fuel tank, which had a beach towel under it, to adsorb the diesel leaking would not be found during the survey! Had to disclose all of this to the next buyer--and documented on a trawler forum. I followed the boat for the next 15 years, and with 4 sales, none of the brokers knew that history of the boat--and did not disclose it to buyers, even after I provided them photos of the damage and repairs.
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wallin, the 25' that was on the 20th I believe is in Santa Rosa, Ca. Looks like a good one from the description given. I also have a 25' 2007 vintage. Just a little advise on trying to land a 25. They tend to go fast when listed. Have cash ready, get the boat tied up for with survey or whatever works, be willing to travel. The best place to find a boat is on CBrats page but I do see them on Facebook and craigslist. Youll want to look daily to be the first in line. As Bob stated earlier about surveys, they can be questionalbe. They definitely have value but I would not go on their recommendation alone. Nothing better than checking a boat out yourself. Good luck.
Water-Doug

City/Region: Puget Sound
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: VEGA
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahoy hoy,
We are also in the middle of purchasing a 2008 C25, and are currently looking for a Surveyor in the Anacortes, WA area.
The broker estimated the price would be ~$1,000 for a survey.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: