The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bimini and tent in 40 kt. Gusts?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ken O



Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 110
City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravensí Roost
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:26 am    Post subject: Bimini and tent in 40 kt. Gusts? Reply with quote

Hello, We are expecting 30 kt. winds and 40 kt. gusts later today. The wind will hit the boat from the side. I am wondering if we can leave the Bimini and tent up or should we take it all down. All canvas is in good condition. Thanks.[/u]
_________________
"If it were easy, everyone would be doing it." --Circumnavigator and author Larry Pardey.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thataway



Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 20800
City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I take all canvas off when in long term storage (except a full boat cover). If it is kept tight and there is no movement with breeze, then you might get away with the lower range winds. But to be safe, I never tow with Bimini up, same if lots of wind. We had up to 50 mph last night. I would have taken the Bimini off if it was up.
_________________
Bob Austin
Thataway
Thataway (Ex Seaweed) 2007 25 C Dory May 2018 to Oct. 2021
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
colbysmith



Joined: 02 Oct 2011
Posts: 4533
City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd probably take it down, unless the boat is behind some kind of wind block. The material will probably hold up fine, but that's a lot of force on the aluminum or SS framing, unless it's pretty solid. I never tow with my bimini up, unless I'm going to the local lake and not towing faster than 40 mph. But then that would be into the wind. Colby
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Hunkydory



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 2656
City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For that forecast probably better to remove than not & I certainly wouldnít tow with canvas or Bimini up, but Iíve been docked with the winds as high & higher than you say are forecast in SE Alaska & on Yellowstone Lake & no damage to my older worn over time & patched canvas & frame. Both of our boats were at the Bridge Bay Marina last summer when this storm came through & no damage to ours or the other boats around us with canvas up. Over the last 20 plus years Iíve been docked with canvas up several times during similar storms with no damage. https://ftw.usatoday.com/2023/07/us-thunderstorms-slam-yellowstone-national-park-destruction-everywhere
_________________
Jay and Jolee 2000 22 CD cruiser Hunkydory
I will not waste my days in trying to prolong them------Jack London
https://share.delorme.com/JuliusByers
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Hunkydory



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 2656
City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I viewed your weather forecast on the ďWindyĒ weather app & if me, If the Bimini & canvas is still up, I would leave it up for this weather event.

Jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Foggy



Joined: 01 Aug 2013
Posts: 1519
City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SOP protocol when expecting high winds, on a boat with exposed canvas at a
dock or mooring, is to take the canvas down (best bet) and stow it or tightly furl it
adding lashings (next best option).

On a C-Dory bimini with framework, I'd also lash the tightly furled canvas to the
frame and increase protection by lashing the canvas/frame bundle to cleats.

I've seen sailbotes with roller furled genoas break loose during a blow unfurling
the genoa, watch it flog with attached sheets (very dangerous), then become
shredded and destroyed very shortly in the wind .

The power (force) of wind: when the wind speed doubles, the wind force is squared.

Aye.
Grandpa used to say, "Don't mess with Mother Nature."

_________________
"I don't want any cake" - said no one ever.
If someone tells you they don't eat cake, unfriend them. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ken O



Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 110
City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravensí Roost
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. We did take the canvas down, except for the bimini, which we lashed tightly to the cabin. The storm was less than predicted, only 20 kt. gusts at most, so everything was fine. NWS did have many tornado warnings all around us though.

BTW, for Jay, I forgot to mention that we are wintering at Hontoon Island. Golly, do we miss our Montana weather, but it just wasn't suitable for camping out in winter...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hunkydory



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 2656
City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I remember, when we were in Yellowstone last summer, you saying, your plans for wintering this year being Hontoon.

For us, Bimini & canvas removal has been a non event on our CD22 boat for storms with wind & I suspect with most all CD22 cruisers itís the same. Unless possibly for tornadoes & hurricanes, itís just not needed & if then in a C-Dory boat, you will most likely have bigger problems, than worry about a damaged cockpit cover, though in Kenís case with the weather service projecting possible tornadoes in the area not a bad idea to remove & secure as a close miss could not necessarily damage the boat, but could the cover. As I stated before, I have never removed either in preparation for possible damaging wind on our CD22 & that would include strong gales & extreme thunderstorms without damage & in fact doing so has never even been a consideration, as for us it has always been just the opposite. It was during these kind of events, we wanted the cockpit covered to keep out the water, that most always comes with them. Normally we run with just the Bimini on, as we prefer the uninstructed 360 degree view, that most cockpit covers prevent, so we only add cockpit canvas in preparation for a storm, rough seas or to better secure the boat, when leaving it for extended periods at a dock. Possibly not with some others, but on our CD22, the addition of cockpit canvas to the Bimini, when properly secured, makes the whole stronger, similar to adding stakes & guy rope to a good ground tent. On the other hand, leaving the cockpit cover up when towing at normal road speed for more than a very short period of time will very likely create extensive damage from the sustained wind, near to or at hurricane force if much of any head wind.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Ken O



Joined: 05 Mar 2014
Posts: 110
City/Region: West Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 1990
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ravens' Roost
Photos: Ravensí Roost
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jay,

We always appreciate hearing from people who have "been there." We will look forward to seeing you at "the Lake" again this summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
thataway



Joined: 02 Nov 2003
Posts: 20800
City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Florida, or many places which have the line squalls, or Derecho type of storms, it is advisable to remove all canvas. For sailboats that means every sail down below--including roller furling genoas. For hardtop flying bridge--the canvas around the sides, and for soft top all of the canvas and frames. We have seen multiple instances of sails and various forms of canvas damaged, but also become "Sails" and contribute to boats being lost from anchorages and moorings.

I like the slant back cockpit covers and for most of the time I have one in place--great protection. However with heavy winds these will be shredded.

What we had Monday night/Tues. Morning, was a series of lines of squalls/thunderstorms, there were some lightening strikes, lots of microbursts with mini tornadoes, and at least one large tornado. We take those very seriously. All it takes is to loose a Cockpit camper Canvas is one of those high velocity cells: $5,000...gone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Hunkydory



Joined: 28 Mar 2005
Posts: 2656
City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, I will certainly defer to you & suggest others do also on weather related precautions for boating in Florida & the other places you have extensive experience, especially when it relates to sailboats. I had to look up the definition of a Derecho type storm & it opened my eyes more to the concerns of you & Foggy. On the high mountains lakes & especially a large lake like Yellowstone, we also have the severe thunderstorms with extreme winds, lightning & micro burst, but they are usually of very short duration, so the chances of having cockpit canvas damage minimal or mine would have been. In SE Alaska its again very rare in the late spring & summer to have gales with winds of much more than 50 knots & most of the time protection from the higher wind can be achieved, so again unlike Florida & itís like. In the future, I will try to be more cautious of giving advice in areas lacking personal experience or knowledge.

Jay
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
     Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Page generation time: 0.0493s (PHP: 65% - SQL: 35%) - SQL queries: 29 - GZIP disabled - Debug on