pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words Bob. I still have my trusty K&E slide rule (kids today don't know what they're missing), but it never saw work anywhere near like what you father did with his. That's impressive!

thataway wrote:
...I still cannot read some of the labels
You should be able to zoom in for better detail. If viewing on a desktop, there should be a tiny little icon (+ sign inside a circle) at upper right of the Dropbox site. If viewing on a mobile device just zoom in with fingers.

The power design is still fluid and there is one area in particular where I have some concern and could benefit with some knowledge I don't have.
Victron makes 18A and 30A DC-DC converters. I'm showing the 30A model in the schematic. It needs to draw about 35A to deliver a full 30A to the LiFePO4 battery. I'm considering powering with a Mercury 115hp outboard which is specified to deliver 35A (Honda BF90 can deliver 45A). I've been told that both of these motors have rectifier/regulators, and not true alternators, and that these devices can overheat and be damaged if they are asked to provide too much current. The Merc rectifier is water cooled, not sure about the Honda. Do you think there is a danger of damaging the Merc rectifier if used with the Victron 30A DC-DC converter? Would it be safer to stick with the 18A model. If so, this might be a game changer for me in deciding which outboard to use. Obviously I'd like the higher capacity DC-DC converter as I plan on boondocking and we get lots of cloudy days in the PNW so there will be days when solar won't be of much use.

Last edited by pcg on Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert H. Wilkinson wrote:
thataway wrote:
Who needs a hair dryer, unless they are hooked up to mains power?
it could be used to "dry things out" - perhaps even electronic equipment.
Yes, and cameras too. We get lots of cold rainy days in the PNW and when camera lenses get cold they fog up. Lots of uses for a little 800W hair dryer.

thataway wrote:
I am trying to figure any battery chargers 120 V AC that you would run off an inverter when underway--except perhaps a laptop.
Yes, laptops, and also chargers for cordless tool batteries.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Most of us small boat owners have experienced things getting wet at inopportune times - at anchor or on a cruise.

Hmm, the only time I can think of with the "moisture inside the boat" being an issue is mostly when we are aboard and condensation of our exhaled water-but there can be somewhat less with temperature changes. I don't see drying out except the windows. I use the Absorb Chamois for that....The last 25 did have one of the squirrel cage bower heater defroster by the windshield / forward window in front of the helm--but I never used it.

Maybe I just accept high humidy, living on the waterfront in Florida. Very Happy

prg--Thanks for the clue-I had used pinch/zoom with the fingers, which is my first reflex on the Mac Book. That was what made it bigger but still fuzzy. Just now I used the Command. "+" and Command "-" which did bring the drawing In prime resolution--and after that I saw the zoom/enlarge modifiers in the PDF header. Now I'll look more carefully at the drawing, when I have time. It is truly a work of art. (especially to a guy who has never mastered "mechanical drawing")

I used the 18 amp Victron Orion on my setup for the single 100 amp battery portable Li FEPO4 battery we use on the SUVs and RV. For the Honda 150 O B I used a Sterling, which was max 30 amps, and usually ran it at that. I did have temp sense on the LiFePO4 and the start battery, The sterling will allow you to modify downward the amount put out. I had a separate FLA "house bank" of two group 27's. the Li were for the freezer and refrigerator plus the 2000 watt inverter.

However the full output ( The Honda 150 hp (up to 2008) shop manual shows the flywheel magnets and rectifier.) . Even in the RV which has a 200 amp heavy duty alternator, they suggest to on 20 min, off 20 min to avoid overheating, Either can be damaged by running at full output I use the term "Alternator" loosely because many do not understand the flywheel power generation system. I believe the rectifier to be air cooled.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Who needs a hair dryer, unless they are hooked up to mains power?

I have been following this post with interest and most of the discussion was by people that have way more knowledge than I do. The hairdryer comment caught my attention and I just thought that I would add my 2 cents to the discussion.

I live in bone dry Alberta, but do most of my boating on the Wet (west) Coast. When boating I often attract bad weather and sitting out storms is normal for me. The interior of the boat gets really moist and being a prairie boy I found that hard to handle. So I embarked on a retrofit of my boat to help reduce this. The biggest single addition has been the Wabatso Heater for moisture management. The nice thing with this unit is that it has a forced air heat that drys the cabin nicely, but can also be used to dry wet sock, cold feet and portable electronics. There are lots of good post here on C-Brats on installing these. When redoing your electronics, this would also be a good time to install a heater as there is quite a bit of wiring for the heater to be installed.

A final note about rewiring a boat. I plan to do this if I have to do it again. Get yourself a small monkey and train him to do it for you, pulling wire and crimping connections in the tight spaces of a boat is difficult enough. But, for a trained monkey it would be much easier. Laughing

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
... Get yourself a small monkey and train him to do it for you, pulling wire and crimping connections in the tight spaces of a boat is difficult enough. But, for a trained monkey it would be much easier. Laughing

I tried this. The problem with small monkeys is that they don't have the hand size or grip strength needed for good crimps. I had to redo all of mine.

A monkey large enough for good crimps is nothing you want to be around when it gets cranky.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: