View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:38 pm    Post subject: Limited supply of old style 23 gal. plastic fuel tanks left Reply with quote

Ever since a previous owner of my boat told me that one of the original plastic fuel tanks had cracked and leaked gasoline all over the cockpit floor I’ve been uneasy about putting the old plastic tanks back into my 1999 22’ Cruiser, which I’ve stripped and am slowly restoring. Last week I tried to remove the fuel pickup from one of the old tanks and immediately a crack appeared in the plastic. I was actually relieved to see this happen because it allowed my brain to immediately make the decision to buy new tanks and remove a nagging cause for concern.

The next day I called the factory and talked to Shawn who told me they had the old-style (no evaporative emissions control) 23 gal. plastic tanks in stock. Cost was $430.20 each, plus $75.72 WA state sales tax, for a total of $936.12. Gulp!

A round trip to Bellingham was cheaper than shipping the tanks to me so a couple days later I got up early and drove five hours to the C-Dory factory. Getting up early meant I missed rush hour going through Portland, but nailed it in Seattle. When I eventually got to the factory Shawn had the two tanks ready to go and I was out of there in less than ten minutes. Thank you Shawn!

So here’s a heads up. He told me they have about ten of each (port and starboard) of the old-style 23 gal. plastic tanks left. So if you’re thinking you might want to replace your old-style plastic tanks some day, the clock is ticking and at some point they will no longer be available from the C-Dory factory.

And they are apparently no longer available anywhere else. Rumor has it that the molds for these tanks were inadvertently discarded some years ago. The old-style 23 gal. tanks which the C-Dory factory currently has in stock have an embossed label on them stating that they are Dometic models FT2339 (starboard) and FT2340 (port). They don’t have a date of manufacture, but, according to Google’s AI platform, “Dometic acquired Moeller Marine Products in 2017, as part of a broader acquisition of SeaStar Solutions.” It doesn’t make sense to me that they were manufactured on or after 2017 though because Google’s AI platform also states that, “Evaporative emissions controls on boat fuel tanks began in the United States in 2010 for personal watercraft and 2011 for all other boats with gasoline engines.”, and these takes don’t meet that requirement. At any rate, those model numbers aren’t in the current Dometic Moeller marine catalog and, indeed, the catalog of plastic fuel tanks doesn’t show anything like them in size or shape.

I didn’t think to ask what C-Dory is using for fuel tanks in the new boats. Maybe those could be used in older boats as well by not utilizing the evaporative emissions hardware. I don’t know.

Oh yes, I initially explored the possibility of building aluminum saddle tanks, but I decided against this because the aluminum tanks added too much weight and took up too much space in an already small cockpit. Additionally, this project is dragging on too long and I wasn’t looking forward to time spent on a big welding project. They would be nice when I needed them (going up the Inside Passage), but most of the time I won’t need that capacity. I designed port and starboard saddle tanks made of 1/8” 5052 aluminum that fit under the storage areas on the cockpit sides. Each held a bit more than 43 gal. each and weighed 42 lbs. each. By contrast, each 23 gal. plastic tanks weighs 14 lb. It makes more sense to me to just use portable tanks for the times when I need more capacity.

Out with the old and in with the new!

Despite the weird perspective, these tanks are all basically the same size. The old Waylander port tank at left rear in the photo is labeled as 22 gal. and the old Moeller starboard tank at right rear is labeled as 25 gal.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the boats have had custom aluminum tanks made, which used the space where the bilge pump and often batteries are placed. As best I can remember these were about 75 gallons....
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
-Waypoint-

City/Region: Jensen Beach, Florida
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Waypoint
Photos: Waypoint
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My boat has one large aluminum tank. It is separated in the middle by a bulkhead in the tank. It is 25 gallons per side. Love it and will replace it with the same tank if the time ever comes. I like the extra burn time with the metal tank if there was ever a fire onboard compaired to plastic tanks. Hopefully this never get tested. The extra 10 gallons are nice for longer range.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

-Waypoint- wrote:
My boat has one large aluminum tank. It is separated in the middle by a bulkhead in the tank. It is 25 gallons per side. Love it and will replace it with the same tank if the time ever comes. I like the extra burn time with the metal tank if there was ever a fire onboard compaired to plastic tanks. Hopefully this never get tested. The extra 10 gallons are nice for longer range.

Is this the factory tank? Are the two halves connected internally or does it work as two separate tanks?
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup it’s original to the boat. One large tank separated in the middle with an internal bulkhead. Each side is 25 gallons with separate fuel pickups, separate fuel fills, sending units, and a selector valve. I like the commercial workboat look too.
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If You have one alum tank, does that mean zero access to bilge and drain plug area?

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope the tank is built with an access arch, that's where my aft bilge pump is and drain plug. There is a picture in my galley photos that you can see what it looks like.

Click the link below it will take you to the picture.

http://www.c-brats.com/albums/album3057/DFRW5596.sized.jpg
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.

A very good job in the galley renovation! Practical, and makes good use of space.
-Waypoint-

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Doctor. Did not mean to hijack the thread. That’s the only picture that I had uploaded to the website. Now back to the fuel tank. 😆
Nootka Rose

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Nootka Rose
PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2023 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will these tanks fit my 1989 Cruiser?

Is there a replacement for my 18 gallon tanks available?

Part numbers?
Flashyfish

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kraken
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:32 am    Post subject: New fuel tanks for C Dory Reply with quote

I put a pair of 19 gallon Moeller tanks on my 2004 C Dory Angler. The Moeller part number is 322757. These tanks are a stock item and should not be hard to find and order. You do have to do some re-plumbing with the fill hose to make them work, but they fit nice under the transom.
Flashyfish

City/Region: Windsor
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Kraken
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 11:36 am    Post subject: New fuel tanks for C Dory Reply with quote

I put a pair of 19 gallon Moeller tanks on my 2004 C Dory Angler. The Moeller part number is 322757. These tanks are a stock item and should not be hard to find and order. You do have to do some re-plumbing with the fill hose to make them work, but they fit nice under the transom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Fuel Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: