The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

When to check motor valve clearance.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: When to check motor valve clearance. Reply with quote

Lots of contradictory opinions on how often to check motor valve clearances here & on the internet. From experience with my old Honda 40’s & lots of recent reading about it, I decided it was time or perhaps even past time to do it now at 540 hours on the replacement Honda 60’s. I found one valve out of tolerance on the #1 motor & 5 out on the #2 with some out enough on the #2 motor to be somewhat worrisome, because I don’t know & through research reading, find any direct point, where the out of spec, could start creating engine damage. Fortunately, the valves on both motors were not very far out of tolerance, so doubt any damage was done & now very glad, I decided to check & adjust before motor damage did occur.

I will be checking mine at about every 400 hours in the future, though I know one person who has three thousand hours on their motor & it’s still running great without ever having the valves checked.

Jay

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: When to check motor valve clearance. Reply with quote

Hunkydory wrote:
Lots of contradictory opinions on how often to check motor valve clearances here & on the internet. From experience with my old Honda 40’s & lots of recent reading about it, I decided it was time or perhaps even past time to do it now at 540 hours on the replacement Honda 60’s. I found one valve out of tolerance on the #1 motor & 5 out on the #2 with some out enough on the #2 motor to be somewhat worrisome, because I don’t know & through research reading, find any direct point, where the out of spec, could start creating engine damage. Fortunately, the valves on both motors were not very far out of tolerance, so doubt any damage was done & now very glad, I decided to check & adjust before motor damage did occur.

I will be checking mine at about every 400 hours in the future, though I know one person who has three thousand hours on their motor & it’s still running great without ever having the valves checked.

Jay

The mfg. service manual tells when scheduled maint. should be performed.
Too tight doesn't allow the valve face to rest on the seat long enough for cooling, resulting in Burnt valves. too loose makes excessive noise, WAY too loose can spit out the shim.
Thumbs Up Thumbs Up Wink Three thousand hrs. is a lucky person living right. Smile
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of that was probably how good of a job they did at the factory. I suspect next time they will be pretty close to where you set them.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jody, very likely they will. From our conversations, it did with you in the past & me too on my old Honda 40’s.

The service manual, as tsturm points out does recommend a much more often approach, such as accessing to check valves, water pump, thermostat, spark plugs & timing belt every year, which I doubt many do or for that matter necessary to do. The same with daily run checks. There is a more moderate approach, that most of us follow, especially those who chose to do their own maintenance, where we try to balance the cost & time taken for preventive maintenance with the actual need for it. The valve check & adjustments are, I think a good case in point. If I owned & operated a single engine aircraft instead of slightly overpower twins on a boat, the preventive maintenance would align strictly with the manufacturer recommendations enhanced by law regulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: