Winterizing question / in salt water

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwboater

City/Region: PNW
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Easy Rider
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:56 pm    Post subject: Winterizing question / in salt water Reply with quote

I have 25 plus years owning and maintaining diesel trawlers...but OB engines are new for me. My new to me TC255 is in a boat house...but the boat is too long by a couple of feet, so the lower units of my Suzuki 150s are exposed. How best to protect from freezing when moored in salt water? (I will be away from home for next 4-5 months).

I read on the forum where one owner pulled garbage bags over the lower units/props then lowered the motors down to their upright (running) position. I have flushed both engines but can not be 100% certain that some residual water remains. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
nwboater@whidbey.net

Selene 47 "Kika"
Willard 40 "Northstar"
Classic Monk cruiser "Annie B"
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would not store my boat in the water for the winter. if you have a trailer, park it on land and avoid the damage that could be caused by longterm storage in salt water.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do what you say if you want. But, if you walk the harbor in Homer or Seward in January, you will not see garbage bags around the engine lower unit with it sitting in the water. They're pretty much all up and out of the water. I use my boat in the winter months and after the outboards have drained and the boat is secured to the dock, I just tilt them up and walk away. If I'm going to be back in a couple hours, I don't even bother tilting them up. I've never had an issue. Your mileage may vary.....
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potential issue will storing the motors tilted up and uncovered is that water can get into the passages in the lower unit (e.g. from rain) and freeze and crack things. The hub of the prop is also the exhaust outlet.
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
You can do what you say if you want. But, if you walk the harbor in Homer or Seward in January, you will not see garbage bags around the engine lower unit with it sitting in the water. They're pretty much all up and out of the water. I use my boat in the winter months and after the outboards have drained and the boat is secured to the dock, I just tilt them up and walk away. If I'm going to be back in a couple hours, I don't even bother tilting them up. I've never had an issue. Your mileage may vary.....

32 degreeze F. or below, I leave the lower unit in the water, it sits in the homer harbor 10 - 11 months a year. YMMV! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

32 degreeze F. or below, I leave the lower unit in the water, it sits in the homer harbor 10 - 11 months a year. YMMV! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

You can do that and as you know from just walking the docks that is not the most common practice. I always worry about the harbor pan ice creating problems, but I know that is a rare occurrence. I have been told by many that if you do tilt the engine up, it is imperative that the lower unit is not higher than the powerhead as water. I can see why. I prefer storing them down as the manual says, but I have stored up and down at the harbor in the winter. As long as they drain, it probably doesn't matter. Yup....YMMV Smile
gabi_ross

City/Region: New York
State or Province: NY
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 12:48 pm    Post subject: my life hack Reply with quote

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of putting plastic bags over the lower units to keep the sea growth off while they sit in the water protected from possible freezing. That however doesn't help the rest of the hull in the water. I personally put mine on a trailer for the winter. I don't like leaving the boat unattended in the water for any length of time as one never knows what the weather will deal out. I remember a few years ago it snowed hard and brought down the marina roof, so you never know. I guess that's why we carry insurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: