The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Another Nameplate Rating Discussion for the 22' cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wexcellent

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 10:53 am    Post subject: Another Nameplate Rating Discussion for the 22' cruiser Reply with quote

We are purchasing our first C-Dory, a 2002 22' Cruiser. It was professionally repowered last year with a Yamaha 115hp. I wrote to C-Dory to see if there was any chance of getting an updated nameplate rating sticker as mentioned elsewhere on C-brats as a possibility. Here is their response: "We have not done that in the past as we weren’t the original builders. Unfortunately we’re not able to make that happen."

Before viewing the boat I looked up the main and kicker. The 115 comes in at 377 lbs (the 90 is only 15 lbs less). I thought the kicker was around 67 lbs so I wasn't too concerned but now that I have the serial number it looks like it is a whopping 108 lbs (9.9 mercury pro). So if batteries are another 30 lbs each I am going to be around 545 lbs.

I don't want to back out of this deal and am not sure I even can without losing our deposit so I guess I am just looking for people's thoughts on this configuration.

The boat has no trim tabs or added hydrofoil, I am guessing that I might be looking at wanting to add those with the higher than recommended weight in the back like this.

I guess another option would be to put a 6 hp Yamaha kicker on which would bring me down under 500 lbs.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will be fine with what you describe and the 9.9 kicker. I would recommend that you put a Permatrim on the main as a start if not go for the trim tabs also. I am sure many will chime in here with their experiences but this C-Dory is typical in motor configuration for a 22 Cruiser and it would be a shame for you to lose out on the purchase if you like the boat.
wexcellent

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1987
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It also just occurred to me that this effects trailering. I haven't searched c-brats to see what discussions there may be, but if the tanks are full and the engine weight is higher than recommended I wonder how much that tips the weight distribution on the trailer in the wrong direction? I think just to get a baseline I will try and find a scale where I can get a tongue weight when the fuel tanks are mostly full.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't back out of the deal because of this small stuff. There are lots of CD 22 boats (like mine) with twin outboards and 3 heavy batteries out back. I wouldn't buy a new kicker either. Give it a chance. I have twins and a kicker for trolling at times! Oh dear.....I know....But it's just fine. I would add trim tabs because they're one of those things you absolutely need, but other than that, it seems like it is perfectly fine to me. I realize it's easy to stress about weights and measures.....but your inbounds Smile
WCF

City/Region: Central
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like a typical 22 cruiser. If you have the typical mini-jacker installed for the kicker, I would have no concerns about weight and strength.

My advice is to focus your research on what the sticker "means" and the history of the sticker on the C-Dory 22 rather than the weight of each item on the transom.

The trailer is a separate issue; assuming you have two axles it is likely plenty capable. You should be able to look at the trailer and determine how hard it would be to adjust if you would like a little more tongue weight.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

It also just occurred to me that this effects trailering.

I regularly haul my boat across the Rockies from Alberta to Vancouver Island. Since gas is about 25% cheaper in Alberta than BC I travel with my tanks full. To help balance the weight while trailering I like to keep most of the heavy stuff in the truck box and move as much of the other stuff into the v-berth area. So far I haven't had any problems trailering except one flat tire which I didn't notice until I stopped as I have a dual axle trailer.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the rating HP rating of the boat has more to due with the force the motor applies to the transom at full power, and less to do with the dead weight (although that is also a consideration).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only boats under 20 feet are required to have a capacity plate. The same C dory hull is "rated" from 70 to 115 HP. The persons are outmoded because they are based in 150# of an average person.

I am aware of already compromised transoms failing due to a higher HP motor, but there is already a defect in the transom. I am not aware of any boats with a good transom having transom failure. I do advise using an outboard backing plate under the outboard motor bolts on the inside of the transom.

If you want a new capacity plate, with upgraded numbers, seek out a trophy shop and they should have the tools and material to make an identical plate, with your number.

I am not aware of anyone fined or arrested for over the capacity plate in a boat over 20 feet long. If there were a legal action, because of injury or loss of property, and it was discovered the boat was "overloaded" or over powered, then there might be consequences.

You can use bathroom scales to measure the tongue weight. There is also a hitch ball which measures tongue weight.

You can move batteries farther forward--especially house,. Use AGM so there is not explosive gas problem in the cabin.

The boats perform best with both trim tabs and Permatrim foils. I strongly advise you have both for the best ride.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: