The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

10/02 - 10/06 - “Meet in the Middle” C-Brat Gathering
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy day today. A little breezy. We've been starting our day of cruising at 8am and usually stopping around 3 or 3:30. Today we stopped at 1:30. We're at mile 358 anchored in a little pond at the Roaring River ACE Park. Bill went for a kayak ride, while I decided I needed to walk, so walked 2.5 miles into Gainesboro. Not much there. Although there were two gas stations and a Dollar General that had some supplies. The River has been pretty serene since about Old Hickory Lake. See a fishing boat now and then, or a few, but that's about it. Very scenic if you like bluffs and hollows. And peaceful. Colby

I was able to dock at this fishing pier so I could walk into town.

Bill anchored out at the edge of the pond area. After I came back from walking, I moved off the pier and anchored about half way between it and Mystery Girl.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today (Sunday) we made it to our destination. Actually, we went about 5 miles farther. Lol. Originally we planned to go as far as the confluence with the Obey River. The Cumberland River actually continues another 80 miles to Lake Cumberland. However, there are no locks at Lake Cumberland’s Wolf Creek Dam, and there are no longer any navaids along this section of the River that would mark shoals and other dangers. Once we got to the Obey River, we realized that we could go another 5 miles, where the Cumberland enters Kentucky again, and we could say we’ve navigated the entire Cumberland River in Tennessee. So that’s what we did. Took some pictures with our boats next to a sign showing the Kentucky, Tennessee, border, turned around and started back. At the Obey River, we turned up it and went a mile to the Celina Donaldson Park boat launch. The Obey continues another 6 miles to Dale Hollow Lake, but again no locks there, it’s designated non-navigable, and it’s recommended that larger boats not go past the boat launch. So that’s where we turned around on the Obey. Anchored this evening at Turkey Creek Island. Since we are cruising back over the same water’s we came, I probably won’t update this as much, unless some worth reporting. We are running about 30 miles a day and will continue that pace on the return. I did figure out a way to fix the fuzziness of my pictures, due to my iPhone case and its scratched lens cover. (OK, it was Bill’s suggestion.) I was able to knock out the part of the cover that goes over the iPhone’s lenses. So still have my phone’s protective case, but no longer water proof, but the pictures will be much clearer now! Colby

Not sure if this sign is updated, but point made. This was at the Roaring River Park launch.

Made it to the KY/TN state border.

Sunset at Turkey Creek Island.
Molly Brown

City/Region: Punta Gorda
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: MOLLY BROWN
Photos: Molly Brown
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad we decide not to tag along since the last few days we’ve only been making 3 miles a day Laughing Besides, we’d have had a heck of a time hoisting the dog up those lock walls. I was originally concerned about the water being at winter pool,5’ lower, but it has sure opened up the entire shoreline for dog and cat access. Currently on Kentucky Lake south of the K/T border. Water is much clearer on this side, very pretty. Lots of trails on the north end. We would camp in a bay and in the morning Betty and Moki would hike to the next couple of bays for pickup. All is good here. Congrats on making your goal!

James and gang

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James, I found you on Nebo today, and noticed you were on the Tennessee River. (Lake Kentucky). Both sides / rivers have much to offer. But yeah, two of the lock walls we stayed on were not real accessible, definitely not for the four legged family members!

Yesterday's post saved and now uploaded:
Finding very little decent cell service to hotspot data to get on line. But the scenery and peace on the River is worth it. We are making good time and already one or two days ahead of where we thought we’d be. Still only cruising at 4.5 -5 kts (5.5-6mph), but doing 8 hour days. Now that we are heading downstream, our speed is actually about a knot faster. And on the other side of the dams, with the current from dam generation, we’ll probably do a little better speed for a ways from the dams. This evening (Monday) we are anchored in a small cove at mile 322. We have reservations to lock through Cordell Hull Lock tomorrow late morning. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limited cell service here on the wall at Old Lock 6, so I'll save uploading a few photos until tomorrow.

Another very calm last night in the cove we tucked away in. Got through the Cordell Hull lock quickly today. The lock tender had the lock ready and open for us when we arrived, and it drained just as quickly as it filled when we came through it last. I don’t believe we took more than 15 minutes to lock through. My iPhone is taking much better photos since I removed the part of the case covering the camera lenses. Another cloudy cool day today. Going down river, particularly for some distance after the lock and dam, we had a 2 kt push, so made good time. This afternoon we decided to stop for the day at old lock 6 wall. It’s a lower wall, much easier to get off and on our boats. Walking up the path here, we ran across two gentlemen from the Cherokee Marina Yacht Club. They were here to clean up the area and bring some firewood, as they have a number of boats coming here on Friday. They did a great job clearing the trail of some downed trees, mowing, and blowing the leaves off the lock wall. There is a nice fire ring and they plan to have a bonfire with their group this weekend. I believe this has been my best overnight on the River. (They’ve all been pretty nice.) Secure wall, easy to access, many trees, a nice area and a campfire. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler in Cordell Hull lock

C-Traveler in Cordell Hull lock. Upper gate behind me. Notice all the driftwood near the gate. We had to doge that coming into the lock.

Bill going under the Henry Horton bridge

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler at old lock 6.

Doesn't get any better than this!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather chilly start to the day, with thick fog. Barely 1/16th mile in visibility when we left the old lock wall. I had to use radar to keep track of Mystery Girl, and help me navigate the River. Within an hour, the sun started heating the day, dissipating the fog. Traveled 40 miles down the River, stopping for the day in Boxwell Boy Scout Cove near Gallatin, TN. We are using the Cumberland River Guidebook by Jerry Hay for information along the River. I’m running low on bread and will need some more diesel fuel for my boat’s heater in another week. The guide book mentioned a market/deli/gas station a few blocks from a park dock just short of our anchorage this evening. I tied up to the dock, but walked those two blocks to learn that the gas mart no longer exists. Things change in seven years since the book was written… Colby

Forgot to pull in my bow fender before leaving the lock wall, so doing it now through the berth hatch.

Mystery Girl ahead of me in the fog.

Keeping track of Mystery Girl on my radar!

Bill taking some photos!

Another nice anchorage
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had another boat go through the Old Hickory Lock with us today, the "Next Adventure". Sun in the morning, and cloudy in the afternoon, but rather breezy all day with 20mph winds. Enjoyed looking at the affluent homes on Old Hickory Lake as we made our way back down river. This evening we are back at old lock 2 with the very high wall. Currently under a thunderstorm. Colby

Mystery Girl, with Next Adventure behind.

Bill took this picture of me and C-Traveler in Old Hickory Lock.

R23 Ranger Tug with a fly bridge! lol

C-Traveler and Mystery Girl and old lock 2 wall.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today was the roughest on the water we've had. 20-25mph winds blowing against the current left 1' - 1 1/2' waves. We were able to find some smoother water right along the shoreline. Came through Nashville today, and anchored in the Harpeth River this evening.

C-Traveler going by the Cumberland River Lighthouse. It's actually an old water intake, not used anymore.

Nashville skyline. C-Traveler on the river.

C-Traveler going under the bridges in Nashville

C-Traveler anchored in the Harpeth River with the sun shining on the bluff behind.

Thanks to Bill for taking these photos today! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woke up to morning fog again this morning, but it burned off quickly. No delay getting into the Cheatham lock, and arrived at the Clarksville marina around 12:30. Looks like if we don't make any additional stops, we'll be back at Prizer Point on Monday. Colby

The marina manager told us that an older gentleman purchased that Hatteras in San Francisco, and brought it through the Panama Canal. He's been remodeling it for several years.

C-Traveler and Mystery Girl at the transient dock at Clarksville Marina. Nice marina. Might even make a good gathering spot, with enough advance notice to the marina manager to insure room together.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2023 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cruised another 40 miles today, ending up in Hartman Creek, right next to Fort Donaldson National Battlefield. Narrow entrance with skinny water, but then opened up with deeper water. Really nice "cove" to be anchored in our last night on the Cumberland. 30 miles to go tomorrow until we are back at Prizer Point marina. Colby

We've seen a number of water pumps along the Cumberland, that we assume are used for irrigation.

Bill couldn't figure out why his anchor wouldn't set in the mud here. Small tree in a cement bucket. Must have been dropped as a fish attractor...

Mystery Girl and C-Traveler anchored in Hickman Creek

Bill doing a little kayaking

and me right behind him

Panoramic of the sun setting in Hartman Creek.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boaterhoming at the Paducah Cracker Barrel as I write this. We got back in to Prizer Point at 1:45p. Had a great cruise with Bill & Mystery Girl, following a great gathering put together by Txmtman Mike. Total mileage traveled on the water, including the 45 or so miles round trip to Lighthouse Landing marina on Tuesday of the gathering, ended up being 657 miles. We traveled anywhere from 25-50 miles a day, all at 5 kts. You really do see a lot more at the slower speeds. Anyway, photos from today:

Mystery Girl in the sunrise, with a little bit of fog, in Hickman Creek.

C-Traveler at the western Tennessee/Kentucky state line.

Mystery Girl at the western Tennessee/Kentucky state line.

Back at Prizer Point. Bill taking his kayak down to put away. If you look past our boats, my truck and trailer in the water ready to load C-Traveler.

The "coloring book" signifying the end of this years gathering for me.

This is my last boating trip of the season. FWIW, these are indeed trailerable boats. This year, once I get home tomorrow, I will have put 15,026 miles on C-Traveler's trailer, 12,755 of which were for gatherings. My goal for this year was to attend all the gatherings, which I managed. Probably won't do that again.... but the gatherings were St. John's River, California Delta, Friday Harbor, Catalina Island and this one, Meet in the Middle. It required two trips out west, one of them extending up the coast. And one down to the Southeast, so I've literally been coast to coast! I've enjoyed each one, and C-Brats are just neat folks to hang around with! Have a great winter everyone! Colby
KFoote

City/Region: East Bridgewater
State or Province: MA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Foote Loose
Photos: Foote's Rest
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:44 pm    Post subject: Video From Meet In The Middle Gathering Reply with quote

Here is a short video of our gathering at Prizer Point Campground and Marina on Kentucky Lake.

https://youtu.be/__15egH73VY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

Jump to: