View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tesky

City/Region: NW Brisish Columbia
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2011
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Kerri On
Photos: Kerri On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 2:29 am    Post subject: A vote for a 115ph on a 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

Hi, I love this blog and wanted to provide some info for those thinking of re- powering their 22’ cruisers. I own a 2010, KeKerrin, and it is my first full-size boat. I realize that a lot of C-Cory owners on this blblogruise and camp out on their boats. I live in HaHaidawGwaiind use mine exclusively for fishing- salmon, ground fish and offshore Tuna. When I bought KeKerrin she came with a 2010 90hp Yamaha and pepermatrimI found that with a full boat of ice, gas, gear and a 2-3 people, the 90 was a bit underpowered. I’d crdise to the fishing grounds at 18 knots at 4800-5100rpm rpm it was basically running at full tilt, and not efficient. Last year I upgraded to a 2022 MercMerc Command Thrust with a larger prop and a permpermatrime engine weight is the same, I cruise at 3600-3800 rpm at 20 knots, use 1/3 less fuel and it is much quieter. The engine weights are almost identical. The upgrade has been amazing and I can’t emphasize how great the upgrade feels on the water. I am new to boating, but wanted to contribute to this great blog. There are only a few posts on this topic and I so if anyone is sitting on the fence and has any questions - I’m open for business! Dan
Donald Tyson

Photos: Donald Tyson
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Dan. I’m rather innexperieced with powerboats as well but I ask the following. If your smaller engine gave you 18 knts at 5200 rpm and the new motor gave you twenty knots at 3600 then you actually had a prop problem and not an HP problem. I suspect that a slightly more agessive pitch prop. say hypothetically enough to bring it down to 4000 RPMs, would have given you 20 through 23 kn on the old motor. I hope others comment on this. I know it worked on a ski boat in my family.
Did you try that? Did you example the power curves on your old motor? Just tinkering.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best to have a prop that will allow you to reach your outboards specified WOT. Speed would then be a function of your hull and hp.
Reelin2

City/Region: Ferndale
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1990
Photos: Reelin2
PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same motor, what pitch prop are you running? I am currently running a 13 on my 2023 115 command thrust.
Tesky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with the comments regarding proper prop size and the issues I was having. Colby straightened me out pretty good last year and I took his advice to the bank. I travel pretty heavy (ice, extra gas, fishing gear etc.) and ended up working with the marina techs. We settled on a 15”x15” 3 blade aluminum prop. I now pop out of the hole quickly even when fully loaded. I realize a lot of folks cruise at lower speeds and a 90hp or smaller engine makes way more sense. I use my 22 cruiser primarily for fishing and run 10-40 miles (Tuna) each way to the fishing grounds. 16-20knots at 3800-4100 rpm is my sweet spot.

I started this post because I haven’t seen a lot of posts regarding 115hp as a power upgrade. I received a lot of great feedback from members of this blog which really helped me make the decision on the switch. The 115 Merc CT upgrade literally turned my C-Dory into a really safe, economical, fishing machine perfectly matched to the waters around Haida Gwaii in the PNW. Hope this helps if others are a contemplating similar change.
Tesky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last note, I failed to mention I have a new Merc CT 15 kicker as well as a group 24 starter and a group 28 agm battery at the stern of Kerri On. I went with the 15hp kicker because it had electric start, plus manual and puts out enough power through the alternator to charge my starter/main batteries if I ever have run them down too far. We also fish fairly remote areas with long runs through narrow channels with alot of current so I need a kicker with some power in case of an emergency. Needless to say, this may have contributed to my previous issues.
WCF

City/Region: Central
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been very happy with my new Merc 115.

It won't be as helpful as the max RPMs on your own boat with your current prop, but, if you search the "other" C-Dory forum, you will find folks sharing VesselView screenshots for the Merc 115 so you can see exactly what MPG/speeds/RPMs are getting with a prop.

If you don't have VesselView yet, it only takes a minute to install and is worth every penny (especially if you don't have SmartCraft gauges or similar.) You can get it from your dealer or on Amazon: https://amzn.to/3DEp3C4
Tesky

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2023 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I will look into it today! Thanks for the tip.
primative

City/Region: Portland
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Primative
Photos: Primative
PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I repowered with a 2021 Merc 115CT spring of 2022. My prop is a QUICKSILVER BLACK DIAMOND, PART # QA1912X  15”x17”. It was recommended to me as a good entry level prop, and if you decide on another prop for your needs you can always use it as your spare. At this point, the prop functions so well for how we use the boat that we have not felt a need to get a specialty prop and we have purchased a second 15"x17" for a spare.
I had my first opportunity this August to load the boat very heavily with camping gear, full fuel, and water with 3 to 4 people on several occasions. The performance was incredible relative to my previous 4 stroke carbureted 90. It would not have been possible to plane with the former 90, whereas the CT, no problem! After unloading gear, there were five of us for fishing outings numerous times, and again, it's a more responsive, effective boat with that motor and prop. 
I did also add trim tabs this spring in addition to the permatrim I'd originally installed on this motor, and I am pleased to say as many have said, it definitely optimizes a 22's performance combined with the Permatrim.

Here is further information if you like:
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=30249
http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=30193

kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see the repower was so worth it. I’m hesitant to go for tuna with my 150hp Honda on my 25. Would love to see how you set up your bread buckets and ice for your 22. I did a 200 mile run heavily loaded from Port Hardy to Rivers inlet and back with lots of fishing and it was challenging with 3 coolers, 1 big guy 250lb plus and 2 guys under 200lbs.

The 115 is the 2.1L displacement? It looks like the same block as the 75 and 90? I wonder how they would perform vs each other.

For the 150-200hp engines the displacements are often the same but prices are so different. I would love to reliably do 30kn with a load, but a repower isn’t in the cards this year financially.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: