The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Is a Marine Survey of an older C-Dory worth it?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wexcellent

City/Region: Portland
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1987
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:56 pm    Post subject: Is a Marine Survey of an older C-Dory worth it? Reply with quote

I am looking to buy the 1987 22' Cruiser offered for sale on this site at http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=31762

I am entirely new to purchasing fiberglass boats. I looked this boat over and it seems solid but given the age I am still nervous about core deterioration. A local surveyor will do a survey for $20 a foot ($440). Any opinions on the usefulness of having a survey done on this boat? In other words, given the construction of these boats is he going to be able to tell me anything of use about the hull/core condition?

Also, I would like to be clearer on it's construction. In reading through older posts I found that the rails are made with 3/4 plywood. And it sounds like the hull is only fiberglass with a balsa core. Where else is wood found in the construction of the body? For example does the cabin and vberth cover have a plywood core or is it just fiberglass?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done hundreds of surveys and in favor of having one performed, if you are not knowledgeable about identifying major issues. The C-Dory, or any boat can have a hull core that is waterlogged and can have a transom that is also waterlogged and rotted. Additionally the major systems including the outboard and electical/electronics can be in poor, or worse condition. Lastly the trailer can also have issues with rotted undercarriage.
I performed a survey on a trimaran sailboat recently, that the owner had poured a ton of money into and all work was performed by various contractors, including the marina, where the boat was at. Unfortunately, for the owner, I found so many issues, that the boat couldn't even safely leave the marine grounds until a hand full of major issue were corrected.
Your $$$, but you have to decide if you have the experience to check all of the above issues on your own, or need a professional sort through the boat on your behalf.
My feedback on this is not taking aim at someone that may have taken good care of their boat. It is meant to be used as guidance for purchasing any boat, because even new boats, out of the factory door often have hidden issues, that both the builder and the current owner may not be aware of.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I agree with Steve, I also would caution to find a good marine surveyor, with experience with balsa cored hulls, and hopefully knows something about C Dorys. Let the surveyor what you are concerned about.

The deck will be cored, most likely with end grain balsa. The hull sides and cabin sides are solid grass. the V Berth area will be solid glass walls, and balsa cored roof. The main cabin roof is probably a combination of solid glass and balsa core.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
flatfishfool

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: Herringbone
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Bob (naturally since he is so thorough and has seen some things). A surveyor often uses a moisture meter to assess potential water in core, though as I understand it the interpretation of this is not always clear. In any case I would make sure this is part of a survey. In my experience hairline cracks on some places are normal but I’d pay close attention to significant cracks at the interface of the cabin sides and cockpit gunnels or along transom top, these are red flags likely to be seen in a survey. Vee berth hatches are also a common place for intrusion since the core interface may not have been sealed. When my hatch had this problem it presented as a bad seal and I got leaking into the vee berth. So look for water stains on the cushions. Penetrations (screws) into horizontal exterior surfaces (deck, gunnels) or any surface below waterline are also a concern. I’m sure the owner won’t allow “destructive testing” and the surveyor wouldn’t do it, but targeted investigation by backing out some screws or bolts might be instructive. I wandered off the survey topic a bit, but my perspective. Another instructive thing can be boat history. Whether it has been stored under cover on trailer or soaking in a slip can be useful to assess risk. Might be hard to get this info on an older boat. Are you able to see the boat yourself or is it far away?
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sales add states the boat has sold. Are you the buyer?
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have a lot of experience with boats, it is always a great idea to have a pro look at it.
wexcellent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
The sales add states the boat has sold. Are you the buyer?

Nope.

Boat has been listed for 6 weeks. We looked at it Tuesday, told him we wanted it Wednesday but wanted to have a survey, which we scheduled for Friday. Tonight (Thursday) someone looked at it and bought it.

The good thing is, I wasn't looking for C-Dory's specifically but after reading a lot this week I am definitely in the market for one now!
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always suggest that a person who wants to buy a certain boat (of any brand) put a deposit down pending survey and sea trial (written out terms of sale of the boat. Traditionally the deposit is 10% of the agreed on price. The deposit should be refundable if the boat fails survey. Sea trial means to test out systems, engines, or any unusual quirks that the specific boat demonstrates. For example if the boat porpoises badly and proper trim does not resolve the issue, that would be grounds for rejection. The motor or systems don't perform, then you say "fix it, or reduce the sale price equal to what has to be done to make the boat perform properly.

If there is a legally binding contract, the seller should not be able to "sell the boat out" from the proposed buyer. No deposit or contract, fair game.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is correct about the sea trial and survey information. However, I wouldn't feel too bad about it slipping away as another one will come up around that price point. I do suspect that one was a good one though. I also saw a bit of dialog inside the ad about going down to 28k. While it never hurts to negotiate a bit, getting one in great shape with a newer trailer, updated electronics, and newer low hour outboards at the price point is probably not a likely outcome these days. While I'd have to see the boat in person to be sure, I thought 36k was a very competitive and fair price.
wexcellent

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2023 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
I always suggest that a person who wants to buy a certain boat (of any brand) put a deposit down pending survey and sea trial (written out terms of sale of the boat. Traditionally the deposit is 10% of the agreed on price. The deposit should be refundable if the boat fails survey. Sea trial means to test out systems, engines, or any unusual quirks that the specific boat demonstrates. For example if the boat porpoises badly and proper trim does not resolve the issue, that would be grounds for rejection. The motor or systems don't perform, then you say "fix it, or reduce the sale price equal to what has to be done to make the boat perform properly.

If there is a legally binding contract, the seller should not be able to "sell the boat out" from the proposed buyer. No deposit or contract, fair game.

I am gonna do this on the next one! Thanks!
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had 'pros' perform surveys and sea trials purchasing a couple used boats with
mixed results; one boat OK indefinitely, one OK (seemingly) for a couple years
followed by hull/deck water intrusion.

The only constant with this is the surveyor always gets paid, regardless.

The bottom line is Buyer Beware.

Aye.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: