The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Talk me out of buying a C-Dory 22 Cruiser

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dogdude

City/Region: Campbell River
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 12:44 pm    Post subject: Talk me out of buying a C-Dory 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

There is a 2006 22' cruiser (twin honda 40's) available local to me on Vancouver Island for what seems to be a decent price.

About me, mid 30's, young family, want to get on the water to explore and fish. Live close to a good boat launch. I am torn between a smaller 18 to 20' welded aluminum runabout, or something like a c-dory. I have a 4 runner that I'd be towing with.

Can anyone here talk me in or out of going for it? Anyone have experience with both types that can comment?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doubt that you'll find anyone on this site that will try to talk you out of getting the C-Dory.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This won't help.....there are not many 22 foot boats (or under) I would trade a CD 22 Cruiser for in all honesty. The smaller alloy boats? Not a chance. And it's not because of what they are made of, it's because you generally lose a place to sleep, cook, and stare out the window while sitting at a proper table staying warm and dry. But it really depends on what YOU want to do, and not what I want to do. If you're going to be doing 1 day fishing trips or adventures close to port, there are probably more economical choices out there than the 22 Cruiser.
sparkle

City/Region: comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: ‘808’
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, i am in courtenay and the proud owner of a 2008 22 cdory, had a 16 foot before this one. i wouldnt trade my cdory for anything! great boat for our waters. we cruise all around north island and often trailer it down to nanaimo or ladysmith for south island cruising.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C Dorys are basically 4 season boats in the PNW. An aluminum boat, unless good cover or pilot house is a one to 2 season boat. A 22 will last you and family for many years. You may also want to move up in size at some point. There will be family memories for a lifetime. The Aluminum open boat, will not have the family participation. We took open boats behind an RV into BC several times behind an RV, in the summer, but had the RV to fall back on. Once a C Dory, or larger boat--it changes the entire prospective. Also the 22 is enough boat to stay on for a month, in some really great places if you want to trailer.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As T.R. said it depends on what you wantto do the most of. There are few boats at 22ft that make good cruising/fishing boats. Lots of better cruising boats and lots more of better fishing boats but very few that do both under 250k that you can put on a trailer and get 4 mpg. Just as a comparison look at 24ft bayliners. You can fish out of it and you can camp out of it. Goes on a trailer but it weights twice as much. You will how even pay a lot less for one then a cdory. But you need a bigger truck and your goingto burn twice the gas. When I first got my 2005 cdory a buddy had a bayliner with a I/0. We ran to the san juans together and he burn a little more then twice the fuel.

But my 16ft kingfisher is great for day fishing trip and gets 8 mpg with a little 50 hp and does 28 mph with 2 people.

So what do you see your self doing the most? At your age and with kids I would want to be able to get away and go boat camping, which you could do with any boat and a tent. but at some where between your age and mine I stopped sleeping on the ground and have never looked at a tent again. Just something to think about.

real550A

City/Region: Stuart
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Deep C
Photos: Deep C
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2023 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a 22 Cruiser w/twin Honda 40's myself! I too, will be pulling it with a 4 Runner, which should do just fine, as it works great pulling my heavier Key West w/130 Honda.
After having the CD in the yard in MN., I can't wait to launch it in FL. in a couple weeks.
I will replace the timing belts & do an oil change, prior to the first outing, as the p.o. has never had those belts changed (2004).

2004 C Dory 22' Cruiser "Deep C" (Na Waqa)
Safetythird

City/Region: Hopkinton
State or Province: MA
PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Talk me out of buying a C-Dory 22 Cruiser Reply with quote

dogdude wrote:
There is a 2006 22' cruiser (twin honda 40's) available local to me on Vancouver Island for what seems to be a decent price.

About me, mid 30's, young family, want to get on the water to explore and fish. Live close to a good boat launch. I am torn between a smaller 18 to 20' welded aluminum runabout, or something like a c-dory. I have a 4 runner that I'd be towing with.

Can anyone here talk me in or out of going for it? Anyone have experience with both types that can comment?

With a young family, you want shelter for them. Both my kids and my wife have zonked in the V-berth while out and about. You won't regret getting it.
flatfishfool

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Photos: Herringbone
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not many comparables for the money. Before I had a C-Dory I had a 20’ Bayrunner center console. Great boat, slightly faster, similar fuel economy, but way more exposure. In the Bayrunner I had to wrap in layers in nearly any weather, in the CD I climb aboard in a T-shirt. The most viable alternative I considered is the Hewescraft 22, but it is setup as a day boat really and the cost of these has gone through the roof lately. Arima is another option, but in my opinion these are usually overly complicated and typically lack a bulkhead, plus are more expensive and less efficient.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: