View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wolfeboro

City/Region: Wolfeboro
State or Province: NH
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pilgrim
Photos: Wolfeboro
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:29 am    Post subject: Osculati “Twist Anchor Swivel” rode-straightener results Reply with quote

A quick field note: Yesterday I installed an Osculati “Twist Anchor Swivel” on the small Rocna Fisherman anchor that rides on the anchor roller that the previous owner provided—uninstalled—with my Cruiser 16. (To accommodate the Rocna, I had fashioned a bigger bail out of a nine-dollar strip of 3/4” x 1/8” aluminum from Home Depot—hand-forming it over a shaped piece of 2x4–simple, quick, and easy.)

Here’s the manufacturer’s site with illustrations of how the Osculati works:

https://www.osculati.com/en/11004-m-000245/twist-anchor-swivelling-connector

Bottom line? That funny-looking little banana of polished stainless has straightened the anchor every time so far. It cost $59.99 on eBay from an outfit in South Bend, Indiana, “MarineNow.”

Anyway, just wanted to report an easy, economical solution to a minor problem of anchor-handling.

Cheers,

—Rick
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My take: Beware the swivel(s).
Not just me.
More here:
https://www.passagemaker.com/technical/swivels-the-weakest-link
and here:
https://www.practical-sailor.com/sails-rigging-deckgear/anchor-swivels-caution-required
Quote:
Unless your swivel or shackle can match 100 percent of chains ultimate tensile strength at any angle of pull, it is not worth the risk.

and here, from our own Dr Bob:
- THATAWAY quote Aug 2019
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1032385-anchor-swivel-no-anchor-swivel.html
Quote:
I have been boating for 70 years, and tried a couple of swivels. My impression was they didn't add anything, and were definitely a potential point of failure. My current boat came with 2 high end anchor swivels--I have not used them, because of the potential side load. In over 8 years full time cruising and my almost every week end boating for 30 years, I have many thousands of nights at anchor. I used a swivel in a reversing tide area, and if the boat had a large load on the anchor--often the swivel did not appear to be working. I have spent 6 summers boating in the PNW (Inland Passage to AK--only as far as Icy Straits--agree on this being some of the best cruising in the world.)

One way to get around side loading, is using Wichard long "D" shackles with the swivel. These are SS and rated far higher than most comparable swivels. You are going to pick up all sorts of things on the Ronca--its a great anchor. Agree it rarely changes orientation, as the boat sails around.

Aye.

Wolfeboro

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2023 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. Points well taken. Decades ago I sailed a 24’ sloop on the Chesapeake near my house and ran a 17’ center console on Cobscook Bay and the Bay of Fundy near a cabin we built up there. The demands placed on an anchor and ground tackle there were serious indeed.

These days my little sixteen-footer sees the calmer waters of the New Hampshire Lakes Region—famously rocky in some places, mucky in others. The little Rocna Fisherman with its “reversing” groove for the rode shackle holds well. And the Osculati functions as desired in these sheltered waters.

I defer to the senior members of this forum where serious demands are placed on anchoring systems.

Tonight’s dinner cruise in cool, clear, light air will go no farther than the North Beach on Stamp Act Island. If I ever do venture into the deep ever again, it will be with the words of the forum remembered (like the winds of November).

Thanks. I appreciate the benefit of others’ experience.

—Rick
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick,
Lots of underway time and anchoring in all sorts of bottoms and weather. I still love my Mantis swivel.
www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3518&id=TestingMaxLoadOnWindless&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
jkswor

City/Region: tok
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Missy marie
PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my self righting anchor in 07 after the anchor kept twisting. Bought it from the UK. Cost over $100. Was not available in the USA. Never had a problem. I only anchor to fish. No extended Anchorage.
Wolfeboro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for the replies. Clearly, one size does not fit all. But what really impresses me in these posts as in almost all posts I’ve seen here is the good will of the C-Dory community. Generous, patient, and genuinely helpful. Not all forums have such a positive purpose and tone.

There’s a nip in the New Hampshire air today, hinting at fall. Whatever ground tackle you’re using, enjoy these late-summer weeks!

—Rick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: