The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Solar Panel Basics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
State or Province: WA
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good and I like the tip-up feature you added. Our dory is gone of course (now in Anchorage), but I added a 100watt flex panel and victron controller to our Bullfrog pilothouse for self-recharge of the trolling motor/downrigger/pot puller group 27 battery

This boat will live out most of it's life afloat and towed behind a trawler so it needs to take care of its own power requirements. There is also a combiner to share that charge with the start battery as needed, but I doubt it will ever sit still long enough to need that.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed a very basic system a few years ago. One 110 watt "semi-flexible" panel that is stored standing up in the head. I employ the "curtain" to hold it up.

This year I added an acrylic "green house" panel to the rear of it to help with cooling. The panel consists of myriad small channels about 1/4" square all attached to one another. It creates a space that allows air to flow between the solar panel and the (gelcoat) cabin top; those panels get hot in the sun. When in use, it's held down by six 1" wide webbing straps with snaps that go around the grab rails. Just something so a gust of wind won't lift it all. I don't trailer with it up there but being under way is fine. If it's a long trip, the dinghy is up on the roof so the panel is stored.

Keeps our group 31 house battery topped off during the day. Our only big draw is out refer, but I just bought a counter top ice maker so we'll see what that does to battery draw. Pulls 160-180 watts. Under good sun conditions the panel will put out 6 amps and 14+volts. Under less than ideal conditions it can be only 1-2 amps. I bought a better quality panel a couple of years ago, so I have two actually. But we only currently use one. That may change depending on the ice maker experiment.

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2023 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After spending two weeks in Isle Royale National Park, I have to say my solar panel installation met all my expectations, and then some. It managed to handle not only the refrigerator, freezer and airhead fan loads, but also charged my batteries back up from the previous night, and allowed me to also charge up my pc (via an inverter) and my cell phone and ipad. Even if a few clouds passed over. Total cost was $430. That included a tool kit for adding connectors, and extra duplex wire. (You can see everything I ordered via links I posted earlier in this thread.) Colby
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2023 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, I'm glad the system is working out for you. Enjoy the quiet without the generator running while you eat your ice cream.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
nicklee

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 1988
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the renogy 100w panel and it has been running for more than 2 years. Everything is fine now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: