View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Several items in the news affecting boaters Reply with quote

First, several of us have used and found the Lady Smith Maritime Society marina a nice place to pull into for a few days. It also has a nice small museum. And one of the very few places in the PNW where you don't have to deposit coins for showers. (Although they do have a donation jar).

The Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS), which owns and operates the Ladysmith Community Marina, has been asked to vacate the leased water lot and remove marina assets by the end of 2023. As noted in an earlier Waggoner article, the BC Province has entered into a reconciliation agreement with the Stz’uminus First Nation, in which the water lot lease is to be transferred to the Stz’uminus.

The “Friends of Ladysmith Community Marina” created a Petition that BC boaters and community members could sign requesting that the Provincial Legislative Assembly facilitate a negotiation process between the Stz’uminus First Nation and the Ladysmith Maritime Society in support of the implementation of a contract between the Stz’uminus First Nation and the Ladysmith Maritime Society to allow the Society to continue to operate and manage the Ladysmith Community Marina.

The Petition received many signatures, however, only BC resident signatures qualified as official signatures. The “Friends of Ladysmith Community Marina” has now created a Form Letter that anyone, anywhere can sign.

As time is of the essence, anyone with an interest in this matter can add their support for the requested dialogue between the Province, the Stz’uminus First Nation, and the Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS). Boaters are encouraged to copy and paste the Letter shown below and email to the recipients noted at the top of the Letter (be sure to add a signature block and note your place of residence):

TO:

Honourable David Eby, Premier of BC at premier@gov.bc.ca
Honourable Bruce Ralston, Minister of Forests at FOR.Minister@gov.bc.ca
Honourable Murray Rankin; Minister of Indigenous Relations & Reconciliation at IRR.Minister@gov.bc.ca

Re: Loss of the Ladysmith Maritime Society Community Marina due to Water Lot 2016 Transfer

Background: In 1999 the Province of British Columbia awarded a headlease for District Lot 2016 (DL2016) to the Town of Ladysmith. On July 1st, 2009, the Town of Ladysmith subleased DL2016 to a wholly owned subsidiary, which in turn entered into a licence agreement with the Ladysmith Maritime Society (LMS) to occupy an area within DL2016 to operate and manage the Ladysmith Community Marina which was to end November 30, 2029.

In 2022 the Province of British Columbia and the Stz’uminus First Nation signed a Reconciliation Agreement which contemplated the transfer of the head lease for DL2016 from the Town of Ladysmith to the Stz’uminus First Nation. This move was celebrated and applauded by all, including the LMS which looked forward to entering into a partnership with the Stz’uminus First Nation regarding the Ladysmith Community Marina. Subsequently, without discussion the LMS was sent a draft lease which was incomplete and could not be signed due to the Societies Act of BC. Among other things, the proposed terms created a potential conflict with the Constitution and Bylaws of the LMS. A letter was then received by LMS from the Coast Salish Development Corporation (on behalf of Stz’uminus) indicating no interest in discussion.

By letter dated November 17, 2022, the Town of Ladysmith sent an eviction notice: “…Ladysmith will require Ladysmith Maritime Society to cease operations in the licence area and remove all LMS assets from the licence area at its own cost and in accordance with all applicable enactments by December 31st, 2023, unless otherwise agreed by the (Stz’uminus) Nation.”

Needed Action: Time is of the essence to resolve this matter. The goal is for the LMS to continue as managers and operators of the Ladysmith Community Marina, in respectful partnership with the Stz’uminus First Nation, for the benefit of the community. As owners of lot DL2016, the Province must step in to facilitate discussion between Stz’uminus First Nation and the Ladysmith Maritime Society and reach a cooperative agreement which respects the interests of both Stz’uminus and LMS.

The current “hands off approach by the BC Province is resulting in a large negative impact in the Ladysmith community and has ramifications throughout the province and indeed Canada as reconciliation agreements continue.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next is the closure of Roche Harbor as a point of entry with agents on site. I have actually used the CBP Roam app, and it works well. Don't wait until you need it to download it and add your data.

Roche Harbor is no longer a U.S. Point of Entry with CBP customs agents on site. An unstaffed CBP booth located on G Dock is available to Report Arrival via the ROAM App.

Boaters can use the iPads in the unstaffed booth for reporting arrival via the ROAM App. A special ROAM App version runs on these iPads and allows guest usage (no login.com user id is required). Only the captain should go ashore to clear customs at the booth, others are to remain on the vessel. If the boater is not issued a customs clearance via the ROAM App, the boater will be directed to the nearest staffed U.S. Customs Point of Entry, which is Friday Harbor.

The ROAM App can be used by both U.S. and foreign travelers to Report Arrival. CBP officers can initiate a video call for information verification if required. To use the ROAM App, you will need to input vessel and crew information, trip details, answer several questions, and follow App instructions.

If you have the ROAM App on your phone, you can Report Arrival on the App as soon as you enter U.S. waters; and if cleared, you may not need to stop at a Point of Entry. The app will provide notification with your clearance status, and a clearance number will be sent to your email address.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The third thing, is in this email I received from Utah:

Dear boater,

Our records indicate that you have boated Utah in past years. If you and your watercraft are coming from another state to any Utah waterbody in 2023 — including Lake Powell, Bear Lake or Flaming Gorge — please note that Utah’s boating regulations, fees and requirements have likely changed since you were last here.

Many new laws were passed during the 2023 Utah legislative session, and if you’re planning to boat in Utah this year, you should know about some new requirements that will take effect July 1, 2023.

Requirements for nonresidents bringing motorized boats to Utah

Starting July 1, if you are not a Utah resident but you’re planning to bring a motorized boat to Utah for boating purposes, you must:

Register your vessel in your state of residence. (You will need your bow number for Utah nonresident vessel enrollment, described in step 3).
Complete Utah’s free Mussel-Aware Boater Course. (This education course is now an annual requirement for everyone who boats in Utah; please note your “customer ID” information upon completion.) The completion certificate from this course must be displayed on your launch vehicle’s dashboard before you can legally launch.
Use your customer ID to complete Utah nonresident vessel enrollment and pay the separate $25 nonresident aquatic invasive species (AIS) fee on the DWR website.

These steps must be completed prior to launching your motorized boat in Utah. After completing these steps, you will receive a decal that must be attached to your boat. Learn more about these requirements and see answers to common questions.

Requirements for nonresidents bringing non-motorized vessels to Utah

If you own a non-motorized vessel that you want to use in Utah, you still have to follow the state’s clean, drain, and dry requirements, but you don't have to take the Mussel-Aware Boater Course, enroll your vessel or pay the AIS fee.

Utah’s scenic waters provide recreational enjoyment for boaters year-round. Before launching your vessel, make sure you’ve taken the necessary steps to follow the new laws. We appreciate your efforts and support to help stop the spread of invasive mussels in Utah.

Thank you!

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources
Invasive Species Team
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on these important points. We launched this year and in the past at the Ladysmith boat launch. Do you know if there is any indication if this will be effected along with the marina closure? This would certainly effect the future launching plans for us. There seems to be an increase in First Nations in BC taking over marinas, campgrounds and other facilities on their traditional lands as treaty settlements are made. The marina at Gorge Harbour on Cortes Island was recently taken over by the local First Nation. We stayed there for a night in April and spoke with some long term moorage tenants that were being evicted as of May 1. I am not sure if they plan to continue to run the marina as a business or close it. There seems to be both happening with various things that the First Nations take back. Some continue to run as viable businesses, while others are closed.

As far as Roche Harbour goes as a border crossing, I would not bother going here as my first point of entry in the future, I would go directly to Friday Harbour. Our experience crossing here before the FH gathering was poor and we were denied entry and had to go back to Canada, in large part due to the fact that the system with the tablet and no working phone is poor. When we crossed again the next day and were actually able to talk to a human being (border agent) it went smoothly. Next year if I cross again I will make sure that I have the CBP app set up and working well in advance of the crossing. I will also go directly to Friday Harbour.

I am not sure if I will bring my C-Dory back to Utah, that depends on water levels in Lake Powell, but I might bring my kayaks down in the future. We did a 10 day canoe trip on Lake Powell in 2006 and it would be interesting to explore the canyon in kayaks in lower water levels. But, knowing that there are new requirements will allow me to be prepared for the new regulations and fees.

Thanks for posting these update, very useful information.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2023 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if Fisherman's wharf will be affected or not. I can't imagine it would be, but it is pretty much right next door, and I was surprised that they are trying to kick the maritime marina out...I used the wharf's launch ramp in the past and would hate to see that removed or changed. (Except maybe fill in some holes. lol) Colby
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can add a "affect boaters" item.....

This may be a non issue, but I often walk by the Waggoner's office as I wander around Anacortes. They have (had) an office in a cute little house converted into office space near Cap Sante Marina. The other day I noticed the building has a For Sale sign; the office looks vacant.

Maybe they are just moving. Maybe there is a more serious change going on.

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's a familiar old theme.

"Play in your own backyard
and stay out of mine."

In this era of change, some
things don't.

Aye?

wa500

City/Region: seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: C-Horse
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
If I can add a "affect boaters" item.....

This may be a non issue, but I often walk by the Waggoner's office as I wander around Anacortes. They have (had) an office in a cute little house converted into office space near Cap Sante Marina. The other day I noticed the building has a For Sale sign; the office looks vacant.

Maybe they are just moving. Maybe there is a more serious change going on.

Anacortes has long been the homeport for the Waggoner Office and Waggoner Book Store. Members of the boating community love stopping by our office to chat about boating and shop for nautical resources, including guidebooks, maps, how-to-books, cookbooks, and other books of interest such as adventure stories, historical accounts, and books for the hiking enthusiasts. Go to our website and click on Store to see the new upgrades and improvements to our online Book Store.

The Waggoner Office/Store, previously located in a historic building near Cap Sante Marina, has moved to new digs a little farther south of the marina at 910 B 25th Street, just east of Commercial Avenue. The new Waggoner Office/Store location offers ample storage for a warehouse full of books to choose from for holiday purchases and future trip planning. As an added convenience, if you are visiting Cap Sante Marina, you can place your order for books online, and we can deliver your order for pickup at Cap Sante Marina harbor office.

The Waggoner Office/Store continues to be open for shopping and visiting with Waggoner staff at our new location. Stop by and say hi to Mark, or chat with Ian and Karen if they’re not too busy preparing and shipping orders. Waggoner is pleased to continue serving the boating community. Whether you’re visiting Cap Sante Marina by boat or stopping by our new office/store location by car, we hope to see you soon. Let us know how we can help you shop for the holiday season. A new 2023 Waggoner Cruising Guide or 2023 Ports & Passes Tide and Current Guide makes an excellent holiday gift.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: