View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Rivet failure Reply with quote

Rivet failure I put some pictures on my gallery. I am thinking a good fix would be to remove the RTV or whatever the sealant was used and squeeze in some 5200 and drill out the center rivet and replace it with a stainless bolt and washer and replace the other two rivets on each side of the center. I like the idea of a bolt to pull the pilothouse down and minimize the gap and really squeeze the 5200 to maximize the adhesion. Is there a better way to rectify this issue?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
chucko

City/Region: Davidson
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 1997
Vessel Name: Sea Angel
Photos: Sea Angel
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m wondering if the 5200 alone is strong enough to bond it if you can put pressure on it while it dries. Maybe jam a 2x4 against it from the floor?

1997 22 cruiser, sold may 2023
1998 17 Aquasport Osprey cc sold sold 2012
1977 16 Mako cc sold 1999
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you may be onto something chucko. My boat is at the marina so I can not go out and see but am pretty sure w/ the center cushion of the v-berth out I could wedge a 2x4 to push the center section flush. Maybe dab a little 5200 on some self-tapping screws instead of a bolt or replacing the rivets while the 2x4 is wedging the gap.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This pan and bulkhead is not structural, however it is also unusual for these rivets to fail. You are probably not "Pulling the pilot house down". The pilot house sides and top of the dog house, and for and side decks and gunnels and splash well are all molded in one piece. The roof of the pilot house is a 3rd moldment and the console, shelf over the entrance to the V berth/bulkhead is a 4th moldment.
I suspect that if any sealant used there it was the Bostec or similar sealer/adhesive, similar to 3m 4000. It would be questionable that the 5200 would adhere to both sides, without removing all old sealants, scraping, cleaning and be sure it was down to clean gel coat. If a silicone was used, then any chance of adherence is gone.

I would go with SS bolts and lock washer, then acorn nuts, or single SS nut with blue Loctite. Not sure why the rivets failed, but, if you use self taping screws there is a good chance they will also fail. (Due to cause of other rivets failing). Has any salt water gotten on the rivets?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would probably use 3M 4000 or 4200 as a sealant and SS pop rivets to replace the missing original rivets if the holes are not damaged. As mentioned, all the interior fittings are non-structural and mostly you want to secure them to prevent noise from vibration.

Normally, there is no reason for those rivets to fail (e.g. corrosion due to water exposure). You might want to figure out the root cause of the failure to determine the appropriate remedial actions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: