The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennett Bolt 9x12 Edge Mount Feedback

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WCF

City/Region: Central
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 2:50 pm    Post subject: Bennett Bolt 9x12 Edge Mount Feedback Reply with quote

I'm posting to help others who may research current trim tab offerings; I didn't see anything here about this particular system/size.

First: Trim tabs alone (no hydrofoil) greatly improved the 'slamming' of my single-engine 22 cruiser in chop. Bringing the bow down is night and day; chop that would put me at displacement speed is now no problem up on plane.

Choice: I went with the edge mount 9x12 for clearance around my mini-jacker and backup motor. I wanted electric for the easy install. I have no opinions on brand and went with Bennett only because of one minor detail: The OBI9000E integrated display/controller is shallow enough to install where I wanted it.

Installation: I had to cut a small 2" notch out of my mini-jacker to clear the Bolt actuator and ease installation. This was not difficult, but did account for 95% of the install time. Otherwise, installation could not have been any easier. I made jigs as Bennett shows in some of their installation videos to make sure the tabs and upper actuator mount were in the right place.

Size: With two aboard + dog + a moderate amount of gear + full fuel tanks, the 9x12 Bennett Bolt edge mount tabs bring the bow down nicely in the 10%-60% range. I couldn't find benefit in most conditions going past the 60% range. I have no regrets about going with the 9x12 vs 12x12 (which would not have cleared my backup motor anyway.)

Part numbers for reference:
Bennett One Box Indication Unit F/Bolt Electric System
OBI9000-E

Bennett 912ed Electric - Edge Mount Limited Space Trim Tab Kits - 12v
BOLT912ED

I'll follow up if I have any problem with this system CoolSmile
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2023 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To complete the "improvement, add a Permatrim to the motor. You will get even more improvement than just the trim tabs. The 9 x12 should be fine for the 22. For a 25, the 12 x 12 would be better.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: