Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1998
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember to bring your boat DMV registration and insurance information to register at the San Francisco South Beach Marina. Thanks.

Jim on M/V Pounder

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't decided yet rather I intend to do any fishing at Wheeler Island, but if I do, is that considered Freshwater Sport Fishing? I'm looking at the regs now, and will either purchase a one day fishing license before I leave home, or will do it online once we get there. Thanks. Colby
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, freshwater sport fishing. You should fish at the duck club. Some of the best stripped bass fishing anywhere. We usually get enough fish to supplement our potluck dinner. John Marshall does a great job cooking it for everyone with his deep fry technique.

Jim
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Traveler has arrived! Made good time on the drive and tow from Wisconsin. But WTH is with this California weather? Rosanne said she came for the sunshine and warmth. It's going to be warmer back at home! Shocked Anyway, got launched and on the guest dock now. Unfortunately, found my two right trailer brakes both had broken calipers. Three of the pins holding the brackets onto the calipers sheared off, while one pin was missing. I did have a spare new caliper with me, and got that installed after launching and before supper. Rio Vista Napa will have the other one for me tomorrow. The pin breaks looked clean, and no rust or corrosion on the parts, so I suspect cheap OEM parts to begin with, along road vibration. (Trailer already has about 24,000 miles on it.) The wheels looked like the caliper brackets had been rubbing for a while, so I'm lucky they didn't fall completely off taking out the brake lines. All electric brakes are looking good again! Confused Colby

Notice my nice new bottom paint! Just did that a week or two ago.

Backing down the ramp at Delta Marina in Rio Vista

Coming into the guest dock at Rio Vista

Tied up at the Guest Dock at Rio Vista.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet. Too bad about the calipers and pins. That's something that would even be new for me! Hope to be there tomorrow late afternoon just before closing.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2023 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Colby. Glad you made it safely. Your boat looks great.

Trailers are always the weakest link. Always something with them. I just burned out one of my Kodiak hubs due to rubbing on the break hub and overheating the bearings. Was also likely an inferior break hub. You could fry and egg on the hub it was so hot. Totally melted the plastic top of the Kodiak hub.

I will be launching about 10 AM on Wednesday, We will depart at Noon
Wednesday for Wheeler Island.

Sorry about the weather. Yes, it is a little cool.

Jim on M/V Pounder
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some rain off and on today, but Rosanne and I managed to get in 6 miles of walking through Rio Vista with three separate walks. Steve and Karen with Sea Spray arrived a little before noon, and then Steve and Carmen with Dora~Jean arrived around 4. Also got my new caliper from Napa and got it installed. Colby

Earlier I mentioned the weather here wasn't any better than the weather at home. Sometimes you just have to look for the rainbows in life!

Standing at the Rio Vista waterfront with a Ram.

The crews from Dora~Jean and C-Traveler at the Rio Vista Pizza Factory.

Dora~Jean, Sea Spray and C-Traveler on the guest dock at Rio Vista's Delta Marina.
1Wiley

City/Region: Bay area
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Fidelio
PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2023 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y’all just passed me. I was fishing at the end of Broad slough. Dang I miss my C Dory . 4 boats came by from Rio Vista direction. Dang I miss my C Dory. Have fun y’all
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Wiley, we are/will. Hope you had a good day fishing!

Our leaders, Pounder Jim & Kath arrived around 10 this morning, and we left the marina just a few minutes after noon. Lots of floating logs in the water from the past storms and heavy runoff, but we all managed to dodge it all. Short 20 miles to the Wheeler Island Duck Club and we were on the dock by 2pm. One boat had to back out of the trip, so we are down to six boats. Very enjoyable time socializing here at the duck club, and had a great supper thanks to our hosts on Dinner Belle II. Jim shared the history of the Delta Extragavanza, this being the 19th one. He's hoping to do a 20th one next year. Colby

Pounder joined us at Rio Vista this morning, before we all got underway.

Dora~Jean underway

C-Traveler entering the narrow passage to the Wheeler Island Duck Club dock.

All six of us, along with the Duck Club boat on the dock.

Socializing inside around the fire place.

Socializing

The dinner spread

Sitting down to supper

Jim giving us the history of the Delta Extragavanza
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos, thanks for letting some of us relive the great experience of the Delta Extragavanza! Thank You Colby! Any stripers?

What happened to the California Sun shine? I am on Zoom every Wednesday with some of my college classmates, and 3 of this group live around the San Francisco area. They have had a very wet winter and spring, with flooding and roads washed out. Let's hope clears up for the rest of the trip! (And you have smooth seas!)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon and have time to upload some more photos. Had a great breakfast this morning, I believe provided by Jim and Kath, (Pounder) our leaders of this fun trip. After that several Brats enjoyed doing some fishing for Stripers. Yes, we are going to have fish with the hamburgers for supper! Definitely a fun time for those throwing lines in the water! Also before lunch, Steve from Seaspray, and I, went for a Kayak ride around the area. (If you read my earlier thread on the Hobie issues, this Sea Eagle is my new Kayak. Steve used Rosanne's Sea Eagle to see how he liked it.) The weather is a little better today. Tad bit warmer, no wind, and the sun peaks out of the clouds once in a while. Hope the water is this flat tomorrow when we head to San Francisco, and then on Sunday when we head back to Rio Vista. This is still a great trip. If Jim does it again next year, sign up. You won't regret it.

Ok, some more photos. (DaNag, how much longer until uploading photos will be a breeze? Disgust ) Colby

Our breakfast spread this morning.

At the breakfast table.

These next few photos are of our leader, Jim, catching supper! And then some more of the others enjoying catching Stripers!

SeaSpray Steve doing some kayaking around the Duck Club. Collecting treasures as well. He found that tub, and a duck decoy, kids crock shoe, a float and some other stuff in the tub that you can't see. Surprised

A water view of the C-Dorys on the Duck Club dock.

Steve and I in the kayaks.
chieftele

City/Region: Placerville
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Rose Bud
Photos: Rose Bud
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2023 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for sharing your adventures! Wish I was there, but I’ll need a bigger CD! Maybe someday!
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2023 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last evening we had another plentiful supper of hamburgers and fresh fish! We said our goodbyes to John and Robin today (as they had another commitment) and thanked them for their hospitality at the Duck Club. We almost got off uneventful this morning, except when Pounder went to tilt his engine back down, nothing happened. Eventually I suggested we just open the manual valve to allow the engine to tilt and trim down. That solved the problem, and the trim worked just fine after that. Mostly calm running down the Delta, other than some usual light chop in San Pablo Bay. Everyone but C-Traveler stopped at Angel Island to enjoy some hiking around the area. I elected to continue a slow cruise to South Beach Harbor, but first wanted to head out under the Golden Gate Bridge. I did that in 2017 with Midnight Flyer, and the admiral was not too happy with the 6-7 foot rollers. This time, the water was pretty flat. The only chop was with the tide rips on the south side. This evening we all enjoyed dinner at the House of Hunan Restaurant. Colby

The crew from Dora~Jean showing off their fish

You catch them, you clean them! Actually I believe John from Slack Time cleaned up a lot of the caught fish.

The supper spread. We really ate well at the Duck Club!

Sitting down to supper

Look at it long enough, it should fix itself, right? Laughing

Actually solving the situation. Smile

Not sure if Jim is there to hold me from falling off, or thinking about pushing me! Mr. Green

The next couple of images are of the boats

At South Beach Harbor

Not the best photo, but the group at House of Hunan Chinese Restaurant

The admirals of Dora~Jean (Carmen), Slack Time (Laurie) and C-Traveler (Rosanne)
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today ended up pretty nice weather wise. Started out a little rainy this morning, but then the clouds gave way to more sun, and while still cool, without too much breeze, it felt pretty good. I think we all stayed with our boats until noon. Jim and Kath took Pounder out to watch the sail boat race, Rosanne and I walked up to Pier 39 for some ice cream, and to watch the race from there. And I believe the crews from Slack Time, Dora~Jean and SeaSpray ubered to a museum. We did all meet this evening then at the South Beach Yacht Club for supper. We plan to leave here at 7am tomorrow morning for the direct run back to Rio Vista. Here are some of my photos from today. Colby

The first two photos are of some of the flowers on Angel Island that Jim took yesterday.

This was a photo Jim took yesterday of the East Brothers Lighthouse B&B.

Not what you want to find on your boat's swim platform. This was on a boat on the next dock across from me.

The next couple of photos are of the Mubadala Sail GP Season 3 Grand Final race.

The groups last supper together at the South Beach Yacht Club
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today came early, as we planned for a 7am departure. Couldn't have asked for a better day. Water was calm, sun was shining (after it came up), and our fast cruise back to Rio Vista was uneventful. Slack Time and it's crew veered away from us as they passed their home, leaving Pounder, C-Traveler, SeaSpray and Dora~Jean to continue back to Rio Vista. We arrive around 10:30a and got the boats loaded and ready to travel. For three of us, C-Traveler, SeaSpray and Dora~Jean, that is for our next adventure in the PNW at the Friday Harbor gathering and cruising afterwards. Jim and Kath from Pounder treated us to a late breakfast at the Striper Cafe. After that, they headed home while I headed to the Sacramento Airport to drop Rosanne off so that she could return home and to work. Dora~Jean and SeaSpray left shortly after Rosanne and I, and they were actually driving to Red Bluff for the evening, while I ended up in Williams for the night. I'll meet up with them again tomorrow in Oregon, and then we'll all arrive at Cap Sante Marina sometime Tuesday. This was another great C-Brat event and I think we all had a very good time. Thanks Jim and Kath for pulling it together! Colby

Sunrise at South Beach Harbor

Jim, Kath, Karen, Steve, Colby, Rosanne, Carmen, and Steve, at Striper's cafe for a late breakfast.

My famous coloring book that signals the closing of another gathering.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: