The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Steering is very stiff left and ok to right. Autopilot stall
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
... I see the trim tab as mini rudder to counteract the prop wash tendency to make the boat not track perfectly straight, not necessarily moving the actual engine. ...

In my understanding, the trim tab is not designed to steer the boat, it is designed to balance the control forces required to turn the motor via the helm. It is not usually big enough to have an effect on the boat's heading.
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:
... I see the trim tab as mini rudder to counteract the prop wash tendency to make the boat not track perfectly straight, not necessarily moving the actual engine. ...

In my understanding, the trim tab is not designed to steer the boat, it is designed to balance the control forces required to turn the motor via the helm. It is not usually big enough to have an effect on the boat's heading.

Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm explaining it wrong. Here's how I understand it.
The trim tab have no real effect on turning the boat from helm (or tiller) input, the trust of the prop and to a lesser effect the lower unit will turn the boat. Boat are control from the stern (or most of them), the hull wants to go straight. The prop give mostly a forward thrust and a little of sideway movement from rotation. This make the stern of the boat move sideway thus making the boat turn a bit or at least not tracking in a straight line. Here come the trim tab, trying to counteract the prop by applying an equal force on the opposite side, helping to track straighter.
Like I said, that's how I understand it and maybe I'm wrong. No one will hurt my feeling by saying I'm way off, I do appreciate been corrected when I get thing wrong.
Thanks

sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: