The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Composting Toilet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:31 pm    Post subject: Composting Toilet Reply with quote

We bit the bullet and ordered a new composting toilet to replace our chemical portable toilet. From a recent thread, we were introduced to the Comp Closet Cuddy.

https://compocloset.com/cuddy/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIkM-4reqn_gIVmnRvBB11VQVHEAAYASAAEgJ1CvD_BwE

We have only ever used a West Marine chemical toilet. It works but is limited to a couple of days before needing emptying and more chemical added. It is also heavy with the water tank needed for rinsing after use. Worse yet is the need to empty it in remote areas. If you only empty it at an approved marina facility, you will never venture far from the crowds.

The unit checks all the boxes for the major components of a true composting toilet… separate solids and liquids compartments and ability to stir the “soil media” with the solids. I have ordered some of the coconut coir, but sawdust can also be used. It appears that it will have the capacity to handle a couple for at least two weeks with solids. The liquid tank would need emptying every couple days. The cost was $780 US, including shipping. The test will be our planned trip north for a month, starting from Port McNeil on Vancouver Island. Even with the supply chain issues I was impressed that it shipped right away from CA.

I also like the fact that it is portable and could be used in the camper or even in the home with a power failure. We have our own well and a hand pump should our submersible pump fail, but a composting toilet would be a better option. The jury is still out however it appears to be a good fit for the CD22.
More reviews to follow. Ken
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite interested to hear what you think of this toilet after you've had to exercise it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: