The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Bennet Trim Tab Controller with position indicator
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:42 pm    Post subject: Bennet Trim Tab Controller with position indicator Reply with quote

I have Bennet hydraulic trim tabs with the Bennet control switch that includes position indicator lights. Switch will allow positioning tabs down (bow down) but appears dead in raising tabs (bow up). Auto retract works fine when turning key off. Fuse and electrical connections checked at switch and appear to look fine at pump. Any suggestions?
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried unplugging and plugging in the multi pin connector cable a few times. maybe a little oxidation there.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Have you tried unplugging and plugging in the multi pin connector cable a few times. maybe a little oxidation there.

That was my thought too. I did at the switch and will try that at the pump today.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoke with Bennet tech support today. He suggested I look at the Relay. I did unplug the main harness there and reconnected it a few times. Also topped off the hydraulic fluid. I wasn't able to do much other trouble shooting, but I suspect it's going to be in the relay after speaking with Bennet.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets us know what you find out.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
Lets us know what you find out.

Finding the relay was/is a PITA! No one seems to stock them. The proper relay is Bennett AIC101. Apparently it also has a Yamaha part number: 6BT-50024-27-00. Finally found a used one on ebay listed for $89, and the seller agreed to take $75. Supposedly it was working when removed. I installed that today. It fixed the manual retraction problem, but now the auto-retract don't work. (The original one stopped working on manual retract, but manual extension and auto retract worked!) I called Bennett today and the rep said sounds like another bad relay! Crying or Very sad I did find a new relay today for $152 at Boats.net and ordered it. Fortunately, the ebay guy has said he would take his relay back and refund my money. (Very honorable of him, as the item was sold as is, no returns.) With recent issues, one of my boating buddies said I should rename C-Traveler, C-Drama or C-Trauma or something like that.... It's a boat. Unfortunately, they cost money.

Speaking of which, lets see if I can find my Hobie Kayak thread to update... Colby
kcassal

City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Sea Slug
Photos: Sea Slug
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last fall when selling my C-Dory 22 I had this same exact problem and after much testing determined that the relay was at fault. I could not locate a relay and wound up changing out the entire system. I installed new Bennett actuators so that they would work with a new control unit that did NOT have position indicators. It was a PITA but I wanted to sell the boat with working tabs. Probably not the solution that you wanted to hear.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kcassal wrote:
Last fall when selling my C-Dory 22 I had this same exact problem and after much testing determined that the relay was at fault. I could not locate a relay and wound up changing out the entire system. I installed new Bennett actuators so that they would work with a new control unit that did NOT have position indicators. It was a PITA but I wanted to sell the boat with working tabs. Probably not the solution that you wanted to hear.

You're right, not what I wanted to hear. Just got notification back from Boats.net that the part is on back order. When I spoke with them, they had no idea when the part would be available. Maybe a month or two. Yeah, that ain't going to cut it so I told him to cancel my order and refund my payment. Everywhere I've found on line show the part is out of stock or special order. So far I've struck out finding anything in stock. Still going to make some calls to see how long a "special order" can take. You'd think Bennett would have these relays available with all their trim tabs out there. I wonder just what is in side that magical little box? My brother is pretty smart at electronics, and I'd be tempted to send my bad relay to him and see if he can get into the box and rebuild it. Then I could reseal it with fiberglass or something. I can think of several other options, like replacing the trim tabs with something more available, but don't care to spend a lot more to do so.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New update. Spoke with Bennett tech again, and have decided to upgrade my system to the Bennett OBI 9000H. I'll have to also add their wiring harness WH100022 as my current harness won't work. I found the 9000H at Anchor Express for $315 and the harness at Amazon for $39. The new system replaces my current bad relay box and helm control & position indicator with just a helm control & position indicator. Requires a little more current at the helm control than the old system, but still under 20amps. Hope this works! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More frustration. So Anchor Express is saying that part is on back order, not expected till towards the end of April...... Angry Evil or Very Mad Canceled that order. But did find it at Hodges Marine, for even a few $$ cheaper. And the website showed 30 in stock! We'll see....
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is that someone with a little knowledge of the circuit could use one of many 12V automobile relays. I have a couple VW headlight 20 amp relays left over from some project I did in the past (an alarm system for boats). Those probably could be made to work.

But you will be happy with the upgrade. (when it gets there!)

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2023 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received the OBI 9000H system from Hodges Marine, and installed it the other day. Works great! Had to replace the wiring harness as well, as the harness that came with the EIC5000 system used 24 ga wires. Since the new controller is all integral to the new position switch and indicator, it requires heavier gauge wire to carry up to 20amps back to the tab hydraulic motor. The new system even has two new buttons for all up and all down, which is nice to extend or retract both tabs at once. Now that everything is back together and working great, I started looking some more into my old system. I purchased the EIC 5000 in November 2020. I found Bennett has a 3 year warranty on this system, but the tech I spoke with never mentioned this to me. Even when I pressed him on sources for the relay module. I emailed Bennett requesting a refund for the list price of just the relay module, and they opened a ticket to repair or replace it. Long story short, I sent it back to them today, again telling them only a refund would resolve to my satisfaction. So we'll see where this all goes next. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, getting near the end of this story. Anybody want to buy a new Bennett Trim Tab relay module. I'm giving up trying to get them to send me a refund and will instead just list this on ebay once I get it. (BTW, I'm not convinced it was broken sensor plugs, unless they are speaking of internal wires. The outside where the cable plugged in was just fine!)

Good morning Mr. Smith,

Our FINAL ANALYSIS team completed their testing of the EIC101 (6BT-5002427-00) that was returned, which they did find the broken SENSOR PLUGS that prevented the cable from staying properly connected to the unit as designed. We have processed a WARRANTY REPLACEMENT ORDER for one (1) EIC101 (6BT-5002427-00) shipping back to you shortly (could take up to ten to 15 working days), so please keep your eyes open for it to arrive to you via UPS GROUND.

Regards,
M.J. Thomas
Client Services

Bennett Marine
A Division of Yamaha Marine Systems, Inc

550 Jim Moran Blvd
Deerfield Beach, FL
(866) 894-1626, press #3 for BENNETT MARINE PRODUCTS
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received a brand new part in new packaging. Listing it on ebay today. Colby

eBay link
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You really wonder why they dont keep this simple cheap part in stock.???

Quote:
New update. Spoke with Bennett tech again, and have decided to upgrade my system to the Bennett OBI 9000H.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trims Tabs, Hydrofoils All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: