View previous topic :: View next topic  
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all input. We don't usually have a problem with the weight of all chain causing too much bow down.
We are trying flipping the whole rode. We seldom use more than 50-60 ft so the other end that lived in the locker looks better.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Also, the boat runs very bow high. So high my 5'5" wife has trouble seeing out front sitting at the table.

I think your first priority would be to have the boat ride properly and adding weight to the bow might solve the seeing out the window problem for your wife, but may cause changes in the way the boat handles. This might be a negative. Solving one problem often causes other problems. I think the seeing out the window problem could be easier rectified with a pillow, or a taller wife, but I would recommend the former. My wife is about 5'10 and still sits on a pillow when she is in the Admirals seat.

We added storage to under the V-Berth and thus weight and I feel that the boat rides better now, especially in choppy seas.

We have about 30' of chain and had 300 feet of rode. At the end of cruising season I always wash my rode by soaking it in a garbage can of fresh water overnight and then drying it. Two years ago I awoke to find that I now had 30' of chain and 30' of rode. A deer, I think looking for salt chewed through the rode. So this was a good excuse to reverse the rode, for Judy to practice her splicing skills and now we have a nice new rode at the chain end. 270' of rode is still lots for me.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cptvic wrote:
Thanks for all input. We don't usually have a problem with the weight of all chain causing too much bow down.
We are trying flipping the whole rode. We seldom use more than 50-60 ft so the other end that lived in the locker looks better.

Is it correct that you anchor in less than 7' of water most of the time? Even on the Gulf Coast, it would be rare to only anchor in 7' of water. Remember that proper scope is the height of the boat's bow (anchor roller, or shock absorbing lines to the foredeck cleats is about 3' off the water. 3 + 7 =10 x 7 (recommended scope)=70 feet of chain.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Yosef

City/Region: Eastern Washington (state)
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Heron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:

Is it correct that you anchor in less than 7' of water most of the time? Even on the Gulf Coast, it would be rare to only anchor in 7' of water. Remember that proper scope is the height of the boat's bow (anchor roller, or shock absorbing lines to the foredeck cleats is about 3' off the water. 3 + 7 =10 x 7 (recommended scope)=70 feet of chain.

I've been encountering recommendations that to prepare for cruising up to SE Alaska one should be ready to anchor in 100' of water.

Will 721' of rode (chain + rope) fit in the anchor locker of an '88 22' cruiser?

-Joe
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do most of my boating off of Vancouver Island and the tight little anchorages that I prefer are typically 20' to 40' deep. I usually deploy about 3-4X that depth and most often shore tie. Tides and currents are strong here and with a 7X scope I would not have enough room to swing, especially when there are other boats at anchor. A 12' tide change is quite normal. I find it is really important to either drop a rear anchor or shore tie a C-Dory in these waters as the flat bottom of a dory and the cabin really subject the boat to a lot of windage. Deep keel boats will often sit in the water without much movement, but I am drifting and spinning all over the place when just on one hook. I am always nervous when I am in anything less than 10' of water, so maybe I should avoid boating off the Gulf Coast.
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yosef wrote:

I've been encountering recommendations that to prepare for cruising up to SE Alaska one should be ready to anchor in 100' of water.

Will 721' of rode (chain + rope) fit in the anchor locker of an '88 22' cruiser?

-Joe

The places where a C Dory 22 would have to anchor in 100 feet or greater are going to be very rare, even with my Cal 46,(draft 6') There were very few places where I needed all of my rode: I carried 200 feet of chain, and 400 feet of nylon rode on my primary anchor. (Secondary 50 feet of chain, and 400 feet of rode.)

For example in Ford's Terror, if you want to anchor in the West Arm, near the falls, then you will need to anchor in 100'. However you can easily anchor in relatively shoal water (taking account for the tidal range of 25') in the East arm.

For AK, I would go with 100' of chain and 400' of 8 plait rode--which should fit in the anchor locker of a 22 (at least it did in mine)--but you want a horizontal axis windlass, not vertical axis, which requires more chain fall into the anchor locker.

Enjoy some of the best cruising in the World in SE AK!
Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up sizing the anchor adds to the benefits of holding on the bottom whatever
length of chain you have. If your concern is too much weight forward with a
larger anchor, removing equivalent chain length weight compensates. I like
chain, so I probably wouldn't cut off a few pounds of chain.

Mostly, despite numerous published "ground tackle recommendations", opinion
dominates here. So here's mine. Generally, I've gone with a larger anchor and
chain length: boat length about 3:1.

Aye.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Needing to anchor in 100 ft of water with a CD22 or stern tie is very rare in SE Alaska. We’ve done considerable cruising & anchoring throughout SE Alaska & we have only needed to stern tie once & anchor in 80 to 100 feet of water, maybe three or four times & then our 300 feet of rode & chain quite sufficient. We do have an oversized 25# Manson Boss anchor, but one of a similar type & a size smaller would work just not near as well. With a CD22 having 50 foot of chain & a anchor of the Vulcan, Manson Supreme or Boss, Rocna or similar type of 15 or more lbs, seldom would one need more than a 3 to 1 scope in good holding bottoms. We have anchored in very protected, but tight anchorage overnight with only 2 to 1 scope & normally don’t use more than a 3 to 1 & have anchored in 50+ mph winds with a 5 to 1. The only way we would go to 7 to 1 is if having plenty of room & a gale is forecast, but even then our preference would be to tuck up in a small wind protected nook, where room for the high end scope is very limited or impossible. We don’t mind at all swinging on the hook even in high winds as this allows the bow to be kept into the wind for the most part & less stress on the anchor than when stern tied with changing winds hitting from the beam or stern. I’ve seen quite a few stern tied boats have their anchors drag & have to readjust from strong winds hitting their beam.

Jay

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100 feet of chain is a lot for a CD 22. My own personal experience in Alaska is 40-50 feet or chain, a 14 pound Danforth (or whatever), and 250-300 ish feet of the stuff west marine sold me is more than enough even when it is whipping up real good. On a proper set, it has never slipped. However, like Jay, I always find a place to go hide if it's snotty and that right there is probably the best advice you're ever going to get about anchoring Smile
Yosef

City/Region: Eastern Washington (state)
C-Dory Year: 1988
Vessel Name: Heron
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all so much for your replies!!!!

ssobol: I pulled the golf cart batteries and replaced them with a single class 24.

thataway: I've taken to heart your statement "It is better to achieve trim with both Permatrim and trim tabs."

cptvic: Thank you for answering my question, "Would 100' of 1/4" G4 galvanized drop the bow a significant amount?"

Peter & Judy: The wife says I can't afford to trade her in for a taller model, so we're going to try your pillow idea. Great story about the deer eating your anchor rope Smile

Hunkydory: I'm not sure my 14lb Delta is fairly included with the anchors you list, but it's what I've got until I can afford an Ultramarine.

As a newcomer to the C-Dory owners' community, I must say you all are very generous. Thank you all again!

-Joe Dowd
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
14lb Delta is fairly included with the anchors you list, but it's what I've got until I can afford an Ultramarine.

I consider the Delta anchor a 2nd generation anchor, perhaps slightly better than the CQR (genuine) Plow, which was the cruising standard for many years, and what I used on several 4 to 5 year voyages and several thousand nights at anchor in the 70+ years I have been skippering boats.

The 3rd generation are anchors like the Manson Supreme (Boss is no longer made, but is similar to Vulcan), Sarca, Mantis, Spade etc. The Ultra Marine is rarely tested with the above (and Danforth, Fortress and Super Max. The Ultra Marine is not often sold in the USA, and is outrageously expensive--I would not buy one---for the C Dory 22 the 8 KG is suggested--fair enough and the cost is about 857 Euro or about $930 by the current exchange ratio.

I have used Delta, CQR, Boss and Manson Supreme in AK--all have been equal for the most part, but all will drag in what is turned "ball bearing rocks" or "cobblestones". Although I always carry a genuine High Tensil Strength Danforth, in appropriate size or more recently the Fortress, I don't consider it the prime anor for AK--The Danforth and Fortress are excellent in sand and certain types of mud bottoms. I have purposefully left out the Bruce or "Claw", since my experience with it is limited, and not good. I realize that many use it and have been satisfied. Overall it tends to rank toward the bottom of most of the tests I have flowed thru the years. (and tests I have done myself).

The Delta should do fine for you. In several hundred nights at anchor in AK, I only drug one time--and that was the ball bearing rocks. I do tend toward the 7:1 scope perhaps more than some others, but I also have a lot of nights at anchor in all types if bottoms, and a drawing anchor could mean the potential loss of a boat, So I tend to be a little safer. I generally go up one size of anchor from the "suggested" charts. Granted that 98+ nights almost any anchor will work. It is that 1% to 2% where less than ideal might not work.
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you that we have been running 100' of chain on our 22 cruiser for quite a few years as well as 175' of three strand. The boat handles quit well with the weight. We have permatrim and trim tabs. and we have encountered very rough seas crossing the Juan De Fuca Strait, the Georgia Strait up to Desolation Sound and have also taken it out in to the Pacific Ocean numerous times encountering rough water and following waves of different levels. We have found that the boat handles no different than it did when we were running 50 feet of chain and no noticeable bow steer This is not from speculation but rather actual experience. we have also found that it makes anchoring very convenient and never have to worry about slipping with our Manson supreme anchor. Another bonus with the long chain is that we can usually anchor with out the rope rode touching bottom. The rope comes up clean and the chain sheds the mud and sea weed much better than the rope.
cptvic

City/Region: Quarryville
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: c-pearl
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on the chesapeake so typically anchor in 4-6' for an overnight . the tidal change is not usually too drastic except for early in season.
Lots of tributaries, nooks and crannies...4' of water 30-35' of all chain and danforth never have a problem. Most areas are mud bottom .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: