pbahn

City/Region: Modesto
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sláinte
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:54 pm    Post subject: Pounder Reply with quote

Jim,
You showed my wife Wini & I Pounder a year or so ago when we were researching C-Dory 22's. Thanks again for doing that for us. Stepping aboard Pounder lit a fire for us and our search led us to Joel & Susan and SEA3PO (now Sláinte) last May. We now have and love her! Wish we could join everyone and make the 2023 Delta/Bay Extravaganza but unfortunately the timing is not good for us as we will be in Ireland. Hopefully make it next year. We've read posts and seen videos. Would love to meet the gang!

Cheers and Bon Voyage!
Paul
Jim Gibson

City/Region: Sacramento
C-Dory Year: 1998
Vessel Name: Pounder
Photos: Pounder
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Herein is the final itinerary for our 19th Annual, Delta/Bay Extravaganza, 2023 C-Dory event. Our schedule will be two days at the Duck Club and two days at San Francisco South Beach Marina. (Petaluma is too silted and Sausalito is too hard to get a spot on the dock reserved.)

The SF Marina reservation was made a year ago to hold these days. Attendance for this event is closed due to the need to now confirm our SF marina reservations. There will be seven vessels attending this event.

There is a request for attendees to send an $80 check to me for SF marina reservations. There is also a request for food volunteers for Thursday night. All this is described below.

1. Wednesday, May 3rd, Delta Marina, Rio Vista

Harbormaster Natalie (707) 374-2315

• Launch fee of $15.00 to be paid individually, on check-in
• Vehicle and trailer parked in the gated lot at the end of the marina
• Parking, $5 per day, Wednesday to Sunday ($25), paid on check-in. Must get back by 3:00 PM Sunday to get truck and trailer out of storage.
• Pay total $40 ($15+$25) in cash to this Marina on check-in.

If you want to come a day early on Tuesday, May 2nd, the guest dockage is $1.25 per night.

Wednesday, May 3rd, leave Rio Vista (Delta Marina) at 12:00 Noon, and arrive at Wheeler Island Duck Club, midafternoon. On Wednesday, Kath and I plan to launch our own vessel about 10:00 AM, at Rio Vista. We then will all leave Rio Vista, as a C-Dory Group, at Noon, and head down river to Wheeler Island.

2. Wednesday May 3rd, and Thursday May 4th, Wheeler Island Private Duck Club

Jim’s cell phone (916) 799-0286

• Boats rafted double, boat-to-boat, at Club dock, 25-foot boats in first
• Bring enough boat fenders to raft up
• No shore power or water hookups
• Restrooms and showers in the clubhouse
• No marina fees!

We are staying two nights at the Duck Club (Wednesday night and Thursday night). Please bring your fishing gear and fishing licenses to go fishing from the banks of the Duck Club on Wednesday and Thursday. Fishing is outstanding for stripers. Last year I caught more striped bass than any time in my lifetime.

John Eudy and Robin are hosting a gourmet BBQ dinner for everyone on Wednesday night. Kath and I are hosting a basic bacon and egg breakfast for everyone on Thursday morning.

For Thursday evening we are having a BBQ hamburger and striped bass pot luck. Kath and I will bring the hamburger for Thursday night. John Marshall will prepare the striped bass for us.

We need some food volunteers for the following items for Thursday night:

1. Hamburger Buns and mustard, ketchup, and mannose
2. Green salad
3. Potato or Macaroni salad
4. Chips and dip
5. Desert of some type.

There are five of you (Dora Jean, Sea Spray, Far C’R, Slack Time, and C-Traveler) whereby each of you can choose one of the above items. Please plan on 16 people for food (includes the two caretakers of the Duck Club).

3. Friday, May 5th and Saturday, May 6th, San Francisco South Beach Harbor

Harbor Master Pallavi Talwar (415) 495-1046

• Cost of $35 per night, regardless of boat size (Prepaid)
• Non-refundable deposit, paid in advance, $10 per vessel (Prepaid)
• Rest rooms and showers
• Shore power and water hookups available (power adapter with a deposit)
• Everyone on “A” dock with assigned slip numbers (given later in trip).

Friday, May 5th, leave Duck Club by 8:00 AM (or earlier) and head to the Bay and on to SF South Beach Harbor. Our reservations are all set for South Beach Harbor for two nights.

On Friday and Saturday nights, we will have dinner at one of the casual nearby San Francisco neighborhood restaurants for those that are interested in attending. John and Laurie, maybe you could please arrange to use your reciprocal yacht club privileges to allow us to have dinner on one of the nights (Friday or Saturday) at the South Beach Yacht Club?

4. Sunday, May 7th

Leave San Francisco at dawn’s early light, and return to Rio Vista to arrive before Noon. On Sunday, we will head non-stop back to Rio Vista. We should pull into the docks at Rio Vista, approximately 11:00 AM, Sunday morning.

Per tradition, anyone willing, is invited to have breakfast at the Strippers Restaurant in Rio Vista, curtesy of Jim and Kath, after we get our boats retrieved and put on their trailers. This is usually by about 1:00 PM, Sunday.

xxxxxx

The above itinerary seems like a rigid schedule. In fact, anything can happen along the way to throw it off. Several years we were not able to meet our plan as scheduled, due to weather conditions.

In the Central/West Delta main channels and in San Pablo Bay, one wants to avoid together the incoming wind, and the outgoing tides, as they can be nasty enough, in combination, to even put a mighty C-Dory out-of- commission. Once you are West of Pittsburgh, the water channels become wider and bigger, and the wind is usually going to be coming at you from the West, and if the tide is going out, hang on for a rough passage!

For some years, we have lucked out with relatively calm weather, and we have been able to safely finish off the entire trip itinerary, as we originally planned it. However, in a few years we have had to modify our schedule substantially.

Last year, it was absolutely hellacious coming back on the main channels. It was so rough that I could not even turn my boat around to go back and help someone. Luckily, Floyd was the hero of the day and got his boat turned around in storm conditions to help out.

For full disclosure, for the new attendees, this Extravaganza covers approximately 200 NM in five (5) days, and there is always unpredictability in weather and water conditions. The more experienced, competent, and relaxed Skippers have generally enjoyed this trip the most.

As always, each boat Captain is solely responsible for his/her own boat’s, and passenger’s, ultimate safety and well-being. Each Skipper is not to rely on the judgment (or lack thereof) of the Pack Commodore. It greatly helps the Group to show up with your vessel and engine(s) in good operating condition and with full tanks of fuel when you leave Rio Vista.

The C-Dory Group will communicate during this trip on VHF Channel 69. We will also monitor Channel 16.

xxxxxx

This is our 19th time for this C-Dory cruise, and we have always enjoyed ourselves, and the other attendees, or we would not keep doing it. We again look forward to the trip this year. We never know when this will be the last year, we can do this, due to inevitable health reasons.

This year, like year’s past, we need to collect some marina reservation fees in advance. The advance marina reservation fees, per vessel, this year, like last year, are $80 for San Francisco ($35 x 2) + $10).

You will pay your own launch fees and parking costs at Rio Vista when you check-in there. The San Francisco marina must be paid in advance. There are no fees for our stay at Wheeler Island!

Please send a check for $80.00 to confirm your trip reservation. This fee is non-refundable, even if you do not show up, for whatever reason, as San Francisco will not refund it. Along with your check, please provide (1) the full first and last names for yourself and crew; (2) your vessel name; and (3) your vessel CF number. This information is used for marina reservations.

Also, for the SF marina you need to show your DMV boat registration and boat insurance papers. Please bring them.

Please send your $80 check, payable to Jim Gibson, along with the above requested information, to Jim Gibson, at 15 Noah Court, Sacramento, California, 95831. Please send your check by April 15, 2023 (about one month from now).

We have 7 boats signed up for this Extravaganza as follows:

1. Jim & Kath (Pounder)
2. John & Robin (Dinner Belle II)
3. Steve & Karen (Sea Spray)
4. John & Laurie (Slack Time)
5. Steve et. al. (Dora-Jean)
6. Floyd & Eiko (Far C’r)
7. Colby & Roseanne (C-Traveler).

Thank you for attending this event. As always, we look forward to seeing everyone Wednesday, May 3rd. Hopefully we will get some reasonable weather this year.

If there are any questions, please call me. Kath and I are looking forward to another fun C-Dory gathering.

Sincerely,
Jim

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosanne says we'll sign up for 1. Hamburger Buns and mustard, ketchup, and mannose . Jim, from your experience in the past, if we bring two dozen buns and a bottle each of Ketchup, Mustard and Mainoase, would that suffice?

I sent you a text regarding the $80. The other information you requested: Colby & Rosanne Smith
C-Traveler
WS1297TS.

Looking forward to seeing you all. We plan to arrive sometime between late Monday, or before noon on Tuesday. I'll contact Rio Vista for reservations. After the cruise, and Sunday group brunch, I'll be dropping Rosanne off at the Sacramento Airport for her redeye back home (she has to work,) then starting my drive north for the Friday Harbor gathering. Colby
Bluechablis

City/Region: Redondo Beach
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Far C'r
Photos: Far C'r
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Far C'r will bring Eiko's Potato Salad. Hopefully I will get Twinkle to come on the trip again. Looking forward to the adventure!

Far C'r - 2001 Cdory 22
Bluechablis - 1992 NorSea 27
Quarter Note - 1972 Cris Craft Sloop
Palantir - 1971 31 Mariner Ketch (Far Seer in Elvish)
Aphrodite - 42 Ft Schooner Jay Benford Design
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear All.

I know most people prefer to stay on their boats at the Duck Club, but they can use a room at the Duck Club, if they would like, for Wednesday and Thursday nights. John Eudy just needs to know in advance if there are any who would like a room so he can have the linens washed, and a room ready.

Please let me know. Thanks.

Jim on M/V Pounder
colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim. We'll stay on our boat. But that reminds me. Due to having a cpap, freezer and fridge, I will need to run my generator for a couple hours every day not on shore power or motoring, probably sometime in the afternoon. (Pretty quiet Honda). Hope that's ok. Colby
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sign Dora~Jean up for #4, Chips and Dip. I'll do some research on the best of both. Looking forward to the trip, and now with my newly installed oil-bath hubs.
Corsair F-31 Trimaran 1996-2002
MacGregor 26X 1988-1996
Glaspar Seafair Sedan 18 (2)
StarCraft 19 & 22
Catalina 17 & 22
Crestliner 19
+4 Previous, 1/2 sail, 1/2 power
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dora~Jean wrote:
Sign Dora~Jean up for #4, Chips and Dip. I'll do some research on the best of both. Looking forward to the trip, and now with my newly installed oil-bath hubs.

I think you'll like those new oil bath hubs. Just make sure you have the right seals on. That's the biggest problem folks face.
Dora~Jean

City/Region: Simi Valley
Vessel Name: Dora~Jean
Photos: Dora~Jean
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear ya on the seals. The original "right seals" would not fit my non-standard, Dexter axle hub diameter. So I bought another set from another manufacturer that fit the hub fine but dimpled slightly when I installed them in my standard Kodiak hubs, however, they were made for grease. The company said they use them interchangeably with oil bath systems (only double-lipped). I used red sealant on all metal to metal surfaces as recommended. I carefully rotated and inspected each hub at the sealing surface to make sure the seals only contracted where they should. Had to smooth out some grooves on two hubs. It made the 80 mile round trip to Marina Del Rey last August in 100F weather with no leaks. So fingers crossed that all is fine.
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Colby.

Your food quantities will more than suffice. Yes, it will be ok to run the generator during the day. At night, you would probably get some complaints from the other boaters as we are all really rafted together.

Drive safe.

Jim on M/V Pounder
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Gibson wrote:
Hi Colby.

Your food quantities will more than suffice. Yes, it will be ok to run the generator during the day. At night, you would probably get some complaints from the other boaters as we are all really rafted together.

Drive safe.

Jim on M/V Pounder

The admiral would be upset if I ran it at night! lol. Thanks. On our way home from Florida now. Another month we'll be back on the road heading west. Thanks! See yah in May! Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Please send a check for $80.00 to confirm your trip reservation. This fee is non-refundable, even if you do not show up, for whatever reason, as San Francisco will not refund it. Along with your check, please provide (1) the full first and last names for yourself and crew; (2) your vessel name; and (3) your vessel CF number. This information is used for marina reservations.

Also, for the SF marina you need to show your DMV boat registration and boat insurance papers. Please bring them.

Please send your $80 check, payable to Jim Gibson, along with the above requested information, to Jim Gibson, at 15 Noah Court, Sacramento, California, 95831. Please send your check by April 15, 2023 (about one month from now).

Hi Jim,
Check is in tomorrow's mail! Smile Colby
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder for Steve SeaSpray and John SlackTime, we have two more volunteer food items to select from; Green Salad and Desert. Please pick one or the other. Thanks.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two weeks, Rosanne and I with C-Traveler will be heading out for the 2000 mile tow to out west. Looking forward to the travel and the cruise! We've been in the 80's this week, but forecast to fall into the 40's with rain changing to snow Sunday night. May the California weather be moderate and sunny That week for the cruise. And may the Delta be flowing normally. (Last time, it was littered with floatsum due to earlier flooding.) In advance of the cruise, for those of you that have forgot, or don't know, I have a coloring book that I would very much appreciate your indulgence in. I've already picked out 3 new pages for this cruise, the Friday Harbor gathering, and then the cruise to Chatterbox Falls following Friday Harbor. An explanation from the title page I keep with the book:

I won this book in a silent auction at the 2016 C-Brats St. Johns River gathering. While I’m not really into adult coloring, this seemed like a great opportunity to have something to remember the great times and new friendships made or old ones rekindled during various C-Brat gatherings, be they formal official gatherings, or informal meetings on the water (or land for that matter) at other times.
I ask that you take part in this endeavor by coloring in some detail of a picture, and adding your name and boat name to the item you colored in. If by chance you are joining in the gathering without a boat, please be a part of this anyway even if you don’t have a boat name to add.
Once you are finished, please pass it on to the boat or person next to you. Each gathering or event has a page/picture assigned to it below.
Thanks so much for your participation in this event and for coloring in the book. And BTW, no excuses about not being able to stay in the lines, lol. I can’t either…
Before the end of the gathering, please insure this book finds its way back to me. Thanks!
Sincerely,
Colby Smith / Midnight Flyer C-Traveler
Jim Gibson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are looking forward to the 2023 Extravaganza. All food assignments for the Thursday potluck have been made. All the SF Marina fees have been paid. Everything is good and it is a go. Slack Time is working on making reservations at the South Beach Yacht Club for Saturday night. He has reciprocal privileges. It should be interesting with the world class sail boat races that weekend.Thanks for coming everybody.

Jim & Kath
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: