View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:09 am    Post subject: Honda EU2200i BlueTooth Generator Reply with quote

So, my Honda EU2000i finally died. I was running it the other night in the rain. Not sure if that killed it or not. It had run fine earlier in the day, and for about an hour prior to shutting down. When it stopped on it’s own, it was if I had just pressed the stop switch. (I had installed a stop switch on it since the fuel/switch control on those units shut the unit down with fuel still in the carb.) The fuel was good. And while I read something about the carb jets getting fouled, I believe that is if the unit is sitting unused. I even tried disconnecting the stop switch thinking maybe that had gotten water in it. Still no joy on starting the generator. It was getting fuel to the carb and even smelled flooded if I pulled the starter cord enough times. I’ll putz with it when I’m back home, but in the mean time I decided to buy the new Honda EU2200i Blue Tooth model. $100 more than what I paid for the 2000 15 years ago. So while pricey, at least they haven’t increased in price.
Honestly, I don’t really see all the hype about the new ones. Other than the 200 additional watts, a bit bigger oil drain/fill, a fuel shut off valve that allows you to turn off the fuel before turning the knob all the way to stop, and a few nice stats to know from the Bluetooth app and being able to shut it off remotely with that app.
But there are a few items that bother me. First, the newest models with blue tooth have removed the 12vt receptacle. I did use that once or twice in 15 years to charge a battery, so guess it’s not that big of a loss. But the following warning in the operating manual got my attention. Perhaps they have had problems with those of us that are using them as a boat generator.

Vehicles and Transportation Hazards
• Do not operate the generator while it is being transported or while it is
mounted to any type vehicle, trailer, or boat.
• Do not operate the generator when it is in a storage, cargo, or security
enclosure, including any RV generator bay.
• Always completely remove the generator from the vehicle, RV, truck, trailer,
boat, other equipment or structure during operation.
• The generator must remain stationary while in operation.

Now this was from a recall in 2019 and hopefully all is well. But still caught my attention:
Update: Honda has recalled 345,000 inverter generators because they pose a burn hazard to consumers. Honda portable generator models EB2200i, EU2200i, EU2200i Companion, and EU2200i Camo can short-circuit around salt water, causing them to smoke and potentially catch fire, according to a notice from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. A number of these same generators were recalled last year for gasoline leaks, as we first reported below on March 22, 2019.

Anyway, so far the new generator has done what I purchased it to do in the one evening I ran it. Hoping for many years of uneventful operation of it. And perhaps I’ll get the old one running for a spare around home. Colby
drbridge

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Susan Marie
Photos: Susan Marie
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to take my 2200 in for both recalls. Ive never had a problem with it other than that. the extra 200 watts gives the extra bit it needs to run the AC on my Travel Trailer after I installed a soft start on the AC. Never used it on the boat. It is obvious that these aren't intended for use on a boat or a salt water environment, but many do. All the warnings are CYOA from the Honda legal department and they also recommend that the generator be placed 20 feet away from any structutre/vehicle that it is powering due to carbon Monoxide Poisoning, so it could not be attached to or inside of a vehicle and meet this requirement. If I did use one on a boat I would be fully expecting that the lifespan would be shorter than normal. Manual also says to never run it in the rain. Probably can be fixed though.

Last edited by drbridge on Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
alainP

City/Region: TUCSON
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: deja la
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, in trouble shooting the old 2000 problem do you feel as you pull the cord that you have the usual amount of compression?
I had that problem with mine a while back and found out that the intake valve was stuck open due to built up of carbon on the stem. I now only keep True Fuel in the tank if stored for a while.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree that CYA is verbiage. IF one is cautious, and takes adequate precautions these can be used in the rain--put it under a rain fly! I have always done that and had no issues. I still have one of the Honda 800 watt models from the 1970's, it runs and powers neighbors freezers during storms. It has seen over 80,000 miles of salt water under it (stored on the boat in a weather resistant container). They also had a 30 amp 12 volt model with the same engine--and I kick myself many times for not buying one of those (about $300 at the time).

When I can run the generator on land, that is definitely preferable--such as at Lake Powell or other non tidal bodies of water or rivers.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drbridge wrote:
I had to take my 2200 in for both recalls. Ive never had a problem with it other than that. the extra 200 watts gives the extra bit it needs to run the AC on my Travel Trailer after I installed a soft start on the AC. Never used it on the boat. It is obvious that these aren't intended for use on a boat or a salt water environment, but many do. All the warnings are CYOA from the Honda legal department and they also recommend that the generator be placed 20 feet away from any structutre/vehicle that it is powering due to carbon Monoxide Poisoning, so it could not be attached to or inside of a vehicle and meet this requirement. If I did use one on a boat I would be fully expecting that the lifespan would be shorter than normal. Manual also says to never run it in the rain. Probably can be fixed though.

We’er one of those “many that do”. 17 years now using our Honda 2000 on the boat & truck camper. Some rust on the outside from the saltwater environment, but other than that, still runs great. I use to drain the gas out every winter, but for the last several years just run non ethanol fuel with Marine Stabil fuel conditioner.

Jay

DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby, is the generator low on oil? You may have a faulty low oil sensor.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alainP wrote:
Colby, in trouble shooting the old 2000 problem do you feel as you pull the cord that you have the usual amount of compression?
I had that problem with mine a while back and found out that the intake valve was stuck open due to built up of carbon on the stem. I now only keep True Fuel in the tank if stored for a while.

Hi Alain,
Trying to start it, everything seems normal. But it's as if someones finger is on the stop button. I suspect something to do with the electrical system. It was running fine prior to this event. It just shut down as if I had pushed the stop button. Oil is good as well. I'll trouble shoot it more next month while I'm home and C-Traveler is in the shop getting a new full cover made! Smile So far the new one is working well. Running it for the second time now. Colby
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbon bridge on sparkplug? Try a new plug.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

digger wrote:
Carbon bridge on sparkplug? Try a new plug.

All things I'll look at when I get back home. Thanks for the suggestions. Would be nice if it's something so easy. But I would be surprised to find any plug or fuel issues since it was running fine before it finally just shut down on it's own. I did check for spark with just the plug wire and didn't see any. But was working with what I had at the time, without pulling out my tool kit. Colby
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY Honda generator did the same thing. When it is time for an oil change she just shuts down. Change the oil and away we go for another 50 hours or whatever it is programed for. Change the oil and give it a go. Good luck.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
....they also recommend that the generator be placed 20 feet away from any structutre/vehicle that it is powering due to carbon Monoxide....

I run my 2000i on a platform placed in the splashwell. Works great, but I can say from experience that the few times I've motored at hull speed with the generator on, my CO detector goes off every time at a high level if I leave the back door open. While at anchor, the alarm never goes off.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So almost a month later I'm back home, and today pulled the old generator out of the box I stuck it in. Didn't do a thing with it. It's been sitting in that box, in my pickup bed, since it stopped working. (Stopped working in the rain, remember!) Opened the gas cap, turned the valve on, turned the choke on, and pulled the starter cord. Fired right up. Rolling Eyes I'll go thru it later, checking all the items suggested by others earlier. But I'm still convinced moisture from the rain got inside somewhere, and caused it to auto shut down. Now got to decide if I keep it for around the house or as a second generator, or sale it... Colby
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From a Honda generator distributor (several others have the same message, but slightly different verbiage.

Quote:
You cannot run a Honda generator in the rain without additional protection or cover because it will likely short circuit and shut off. There are many options when protecting a generator from the rain, including steel structures, generator covers, sheds, pop-up canopies, or custom-made enclosures.

There are multiple ways to keep the generator out of the rain--frm a steel or aluminum box, even plastic or wooden box. Our idea of a small tarp over the generator, to protect it worked fine on several boats.

I am sure that the water shorted out one of the circuits, and when it dried off it was back to running fine. Might have some corrosion down the line because of water intrusion, so not a bad idea to pull the cover and look at all of the wiring.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: