The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

No way to turn power to motor off but not house?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serpa4

City/Region: Melbourne
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: DayLo
Photos: DayLo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 9:58 am    Post subject: No way to turn power to motor off but not house? Reply with quote

Just thinking aloud.
On my Venture 26, there is only one battery selector knob, on/off/combine.
So, looking at the wiring on Blue Sea systems switch 5511e, when on, both the start battery to motor is connected and at the same time, the house is connected to the house battery.
So, if you are on anchor for a week (which I do plan to do), I cannot shut off power to the engine?
Seems strange.
I don't' see a breaker to disconnect the engine from start battery.

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you have sounds typical of what I have seen in the boat and RV industry. But there are ways to easily isolate the starting battery as well. I have my ways and others have their's....they all work. However, I wouldn't worry about this. A healthy starting battery will be fine for many weeks/months connected to a outboard and still start just great.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you want to turn of power to the motor, but not the house? When the motor is not running the draw should be very little (basically just the ECU).

My boat has a 1-2-Both switch. The two batteries are the same size and type. Normally batt 1 is the main, and batt 2 is the reserve. Pretty much all the time the battery switch is on 1 when the boat is in use. It gets switched to Both sometimes for a start after anchoring out overnight. Later the switch gets set back to 1. Whichever battery is selected powers the whole boat.

KISS prinicple. I do have to keep tabs on what the battery switch is set to.
pcg

City/Region: Sherwood
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: C-Quest
Photos: pcg
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding from another thread is that you're replacing an ACR with a DC-DC converter that charges a Li house battery. The simple solution for what you want to do is to replace that battery combiner switch with a simple On/Off battery switch. Start battery goes on one side and the unfused starter cable and a fused cable to a positive bus bar go on the other side. The fused wire to the CD-CD converter then goes to this positive bus bar, along with (if you have them) a shore charger for the start battery and a fused wire to a windlass. If your bilge pumps are connected to the start battery, now would be a good time to consider moving them to the house battery, which I think is preferable.

In lieu of buying a new On/Off battery switch (<$50), you could probably rewire the existing switch for the same function, but I would advise against it because now the switch labeling will be confusing, which could potentially be a safety issue in some odd circumstance.

Last edited by pcg on Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
C-Wolfe

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could add a main on/off switch to the outboard. You might also look at how much draw you have on your outboard, it might be so negligible that it's not worth worrying about.
sparkle; Ericson 25 CB 2008-2012
Sculpin; Drascombe Drifter 2005-2008
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: